Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Verizon iPhone 4

Verizon iPhone 4 (Page 2)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 4, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Verizon wouldn't be, if they got the data traffic hammering that AT&T got.
But would they? Wouldn't splitting the iPhone base be beneficial to everyone (hardware changes not withstanding).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2010, 04:46 PM

No - either Apple isn't "ignoring a HUGE market", and people will defect in droves, or Apple IS "ignoring a HUGE market", and millions of people have just been chafing at the bit and will immediately jump on the iPhone.

Either way, Verizon's network would collapse, as well.

Bad Connection: Inside the iPhone Network Meltdown | Magazine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 4, 2010, 04:51 PM

No - either Apple isn't "ignoring a HUGE market", and people will defect in droves, or Apple IS "ignoring a HUGE market", and millions of people have just been chafing at the bit and will immediately jump on the iPhone.

Either way, Verizon's network would collapse, as well.
Sounds like two extreme outcomes. Why wouldn't it fall closer to the middle?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2010, 04:58 PM

Read the article I linked to.

Data traffic for the iPhone is about 50 TIMES the previous average.

The middle ground - many defecting, many now finally buying one - would lead Verizon to exactly the same problems as AT&T, except that AT&T has actually invested billions over the past few years into improving infrastructure, because they've been suffering under the load and Apple's refusal to compromise, while Verizon has shit.

So bringing out a Verizon iPhone would probably improve AT&T's service and make it look even better against Verizon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 4, 2010, 04:58 PM

I read it a few weeks ago. Why not just quote the part you think is relevant?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2010, 05:32 PM

Verizon wouldn't be, if they got the data traffic hammering that AT&T got.
The middle ground - many defecting, many now finally buying one - would lead Verizon to exactly the same problems as AT&T, except that AT&T has actually invested billions over the past few years into improving infrastructure, because they've been suffering under the load and Apple's refusal to compromise, while Verizon has shit.
Verizon is already handling more data per user than AT&T: with the average Verizon user eating up 421MB per month and the average iPhone user consuming 338MB per month

Don't buy into AT&T's excuses about "oh its so successful." Reality is their network blows.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 4, 2010, 06:34 PM

Uhm, yeah, the AVERAGE smartphone might consume more on VZW, but the report doesn't mention the ABSOLUTE number of smartphones on the two networks.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I read it a few weeks ago. Why not just quote the part you think is relevant?
I'm not trying to argue you down. I'm recommending a related article.
Anyway,
And it wasn’t clear that Verizon would be an improvement; at the time, it wasn’t any better equipped than AT&T to deal with the iPhone’s bandwidth demands.
Jobs recently stated that AT&T has the "fastest" 3G network.

I suspect that it really wouldn't make a difference (apart from the fact that Apple's baseband is apparently so bug-ridden that it's part of the problem).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 5, 2010, 10:35 AM

"And it wasn’t clear that Verizon would be an improvement; at the time, it wasn’t any better equipped than AT&T to deal with the iPhone’s bandwidth demands."
The key qualifier being "at the time." Between that and my point about splitting the burden I think Verizon could handle it.

...or the proliferation of Android means it'll be the same mess.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2010, 11:41 AM

It's difficult to believe that they'd fare any better, though, especially since AT&T has had tremendous pressure to upgrade their systems.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2010, 09:47 PM

Yeah, just because you have problems with AT&T doesn't mean that other carriers are perfect. Far from it. Either they don't cover areas I go to often enough to be concerned about coverage, or they say they cover an area but really only provide voice service-or only Edge data-and then only along main roads.

Plus I've heard enough horror stories about how Verizon keeps customers from using built in functions of their phones (remember what they did to the RAZR?) and T-Mobile just up and dropping customers (not just calls) that I'm going to stick with the devil I know...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2010, 09:53 PM

Jobs recently stated that AT&T has the "fastest" 3G network.

I suspect that it really wouldn't make a difference (apart from the fact that Apple's baseband is apparently so bug-ridden that it's part of the problem).
It's a pretty well-known fact that AT&T has the fastest speeds of any 3G network.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's a pretty well-known fact that AT&T has the fastest speeds of any 3G network.
If you live in an area with good coverage. If you live in an area that has much better Verizon coverage at least you will have a choice come Jan. I live in an area where Verizon 3G is strong in every nook and cranny. I'd rather have a choice.

I'll wait till the phone is out however. The iPhone could bring Verizon to it's knees also. IMO, most of the at&t complaints are more due to the iPhone as opposed to at&t's network at this point in time.

Glad to see Steve fired Mark Papermaster on Friday. He should have stayed at IBM. Apple should hire Mark Hurd, recently resigned from HP and just keep him away from female employees. Could have done a better job with the iPhone 4 development.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2010, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
If you live in an area with good coverage. If you live in an area that has much better Verizon coverage at least you will have a choice come Jan. I live in an area where Verizon 3G is strong in every nook and cranny. I'd rather have a choice.

I'll wait till the phone is out however. The iPhone could bring Verizon to it's knees also. IMO, most of the at&t complaints are more due to the iPhone as opposed to at&t's network at this point in time.

Glad to see Steve fired Mark Papermaster on Friday. He should have stayed at IBM. Apple should hire Mark Hurd, recently resigned from HP and just keep him away from female employees. Could have done a better job with the iPhone 4 development.
You speak of a Verizon iPhone like it's a fact.

Yeah, Hurd would be great. Falsifying expense reports is a great quality to have.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 7, 2010, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You speak of a Verizon iPhone like it's a fact.

Yeah, Hurd would be great. Falsifying expense reports is a great quality to have.
LOL, like falsifying antenna attenuation to your superiors.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2010, 10:50 PM

If you buy an iPhone for Verizon, you'll be locked into Verizon for... well, forever. You'll be forced to buy a new phone if you want to switch carriers. At least with AT&T you can unlock your phone after the contract is up.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2010, 06:18 PM

If Apple decides to offer the iPhone with different carriers, do you think Apple will then agree to SIM-unlock the phones at the end of contract?

At the end of an ATT contract, all other phones can be unlocked, just not the iPhone...

Brien
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2010, 01:18 AM

With these January rumors of a CDMA iPhone and iPhone 5 starting to show up more often, I think it's fairly likely we could see a Verizon iPhone 4.5 in January.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 9, 2010, 11:43 AM

Worth noting that there isn't a hint of the iPhone on Verizon's upcoming roadmap.

Verizon's Supposed 2011 Roadmap Leaks Droid Pro, Motorola's Android 3.0 Tablet, and More

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2010, 07:44 AM

If Apple was smart (and they are), they should change the name of any new Verizon iPhone to "iPhone 4.5".

Everybody associates version 4 with the Antenna problems. So if they modify the design to fix antenna and offer for a new carrier, it would be wise to call it something else. With a 4.5 release, you'll quickly forget about the problems of 4.0

You agree?
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
If Apple was smart (and they are), they should change the name of any new Verizon iPhone to "iPhone 4.5".

Everybody associates version 4 with the Antenna problems. So if they modify the design to fix antenna and offer for a new carrier, it would be wise to call it something else. With a 4.5 release, you'll quickly forget about the problems of 4.0

You agree?
No. iPhone 4.5 is not a significant change from iPhone 4 (you still have to say "iPhone 4" to get to "iPhone 4.5").

If Apple releases an iPhone on Verizon soon, it should be an iPhone 4. Maybe offer a 64 gig version to offer a bit of differentiation, but other than that leave it the same. If they redesign the phone, it will have to be an iPhone 5, not a 4-point-anything.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2010, 10:26 AM

Worth noting that there isn't a hint of the iPhone on Verizon's upcoming roadmap.

Verizon's Supposed 2011 Roadmap Leaks Droid Pro, Motorola's Android 3.0 Tablet, and More
A) Do you really think Verizon has permission from Apple to disclose this even if it is true?

B) Do you really think that roadmap discloses every phone Verizon intends to release?

C) If Verizon announced they would have the iPhone in January 2010, what do you think that would do to their phone sales from now until then?

I disagree, not worth noting at all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
A) Do you really think Verizon has permission from Apple to disclose this even if it is true?

B) Do you really think that roadmap discloses every phone Verizon intends to release?

C) If Verizon announced they would have the iPhone in January 2010, what do you think that would do to their phone sales from now until then?

I disagree, not worth noting at all.
I'm under the impression this is an internal document. So yeah, they could totally mention something they're not supposed to mention in it.

Also, you might want to dial it down a bit.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2010, 12:27 PM

I'm under the impression this is an internal document. So yeah, they could totally mention something they're not supposed to mention in it.

Also, you might want to dial it down a bit.
Even if it is an internal document, there is no way VZ is going to confirm that the iPhone is coming to VZ in January, even to their employees on an "internal memo". Just not gonna happen. Especially since Apple is still under contract with AT&T. Until that contrast expires, neither Apple nor VZ will put anything in writing (internal or external) RE: the iPhone on Verizon.

Also, .

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 17, 2010, 12:32 PM

Also, .
Yeah, case in point.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2010, 01:24 PM

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2010, 01:54 PM

Even if it is an internal document, there is no way VZ is going to confirm that the iPhone is coming to VZ in January, even to their employees on an "internal memo". Just not gonna happen. Especially since Apple is still under contract with AT&T. Until that contrast expires, neither Apple nor VZ will put anything in writing (internal or external) RE: the iPhone on Verizon.

Also, .
Apple is under contract with AT&T? How bad is their ETF?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Aug 17, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Apple is under contract with AT&T? How bad is their ETF?
I would imagine it would be pretty steep. A lot more than $350 that's for sure.

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2010, 03:53 PM

Maybe with Verizon's EVDO network, the traffic will not be so bad since you can't make phone calls and be on the data network at the same time.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Sep 14, 2010, 09:10 PM

I almost got caught up in this Verizon over ATT hype. If I waited for Verizon to come out with the iphone, then I would get call drops in countless parts of where I live, and everyone around hear knows that you pretty much have to have att if you want to pick up any signal whatsoever in an entire town. I could care less about saving a few bucks if I can't have a reliable connection from town to town. That said, I'm sure it must be just the opposite in many other places across the states, but people have to make informed choices rather than following the crowd.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2011, 05:14 PM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2011, 06:16 PM

Wake me up when the iPhone 5 comes out with universal GSM band plus CDMA/LTE chipset support. And make it officially unlockable after the contract period, please.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jan 7, 2011 at 06:24 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 7, 2011, 06:24 PM

And also, it cures cancer.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2011, 07:41 PM

It's funny that this thread held water... Not very often that the first post is dead on. BUT nothing official yet.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2011, 08:26 PM

WSJ and All Things D are both confirming this, both being influenced by Walt Mossberg. If anyone would be in the know, it'd be him.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2011, 07:35 PM

What's with the horrible jpeg compression?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2011, 08:10 PM

Gruber thinks it's indicative of the simple fact that telco's just. Cannot. Get. A. Single. Thing. Right.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2011, 09:33 PM

Oh he thinks that's the original from VZW? I assumed it was recompressed by the media outlet that released it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2011, 10:15 AM

They can't afford the bandwith.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2011, 10:44 AM

A year ago this might have interested me. Not anymore.

Perfectly happy with my Droid Incredible on VZ.

My prediction: a lot of current iPhone users on AT&T switching to VZ, but not too many current VZ users on Android phones switching to iPhones.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 10, 2011, 10:47 AM

That's believable enough.

Depending how quickly this is offered, I can't wait for the complaints from early adopters on how much it will cost to upgrade to a iPhone 5 in June.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2011, 12:45 PM

I've been waiting for the Verizon iPhone for so long that AT&T's network has improved enough for me to say meh to the whole thing. Unless there's a startling difference between the phones, I may just wait for iPhone 5 in June.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I've been waiting for the Verizon iPhone for so long that AT&T's network has improved enough for me to say meh to the whole thing. Unless there's a startling difference between the phones, I may just wait for iPhone 5 in June.
That's funny that you say that because I agree. We have good 3G coverage in my area and I seldom travel so its's almost a moot point these days.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2011, 03:46 PM

I've been happy with my iphones on ATT since I got it in 2007. My only motivation to switch to verizon is that my entire family and most of my friends use it.

I think the real interesting part of the recent rumors is that the iphone will have unlimited data on verizon. If that is the case I think many more ATT users will switch.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I've been happy with my iphones on ATT since I got it in 2007. My only motivation to switch to verizon is that my entire family and most of my friends use it.

I think the real interesting part of the recent rumors is that the iphone will have unlimited data on verizon. If that is the case I think many more ATT users will switch.
Many ATT users still have *real* unlimited data plans - especially those that stuck it out since day one. But I think the plan was only recently changed to *fake* unlimited. I can see users jumping ship if only for that.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Cold Warrior
Jan 10, 2011, 07:17 PM

Verizon will eventually nuke their unlimited plans too. I'm sure it's an option to attract subscribers and set up an in-your-face-att zinger down the road.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Verizon will eventually nuke their unlimited plans too. I'm sure it's an option to attract subscribers and set up an in-your-face-att zinger down the road.
Yeah, this is good news for AT&T.

The leechers go to Verizon, an AT&T with gain a faster network.

-t

Jack-o-Bower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2011, 08:56 PM

Honestly man you should not have gotten the iPhone4 with Verizon in January...knowing Apple within a few months time they will be announcing a newer iPhone for both AT&T and Verizon carriers. Just food for thought...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2011, 09:51 PM

Jack, are you claiming that Apple will release the iPhone 4 in Verizon CDMA only to turn around a few months later and release an iPhone 5 for Verizon that makes obsolete the just released iPhone 4? Thats not going to happen.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Jack, are you claiming that Apple will release the iPhone 4 in Verizon CDMA only to turn around a few months later and release an iPhone 5 for Verizon that makes obsolete the just released iPhone 4? Thats not going to happen.
So you think it's more likely that Apple will bring out a new iPhone 5 both as GMS and CDMA version this summer ?

I dunno, it would be possible that Apple goes on a different cycle with the CDMA.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules