Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is there a good PC forum on the web?

Is there a good PC forum on the web?
HamSandwich
Jun 28, 2012, 02:53 PM

Hey!

I'm German, but I rather like to post to U.S. forums as there are usually many more users and I often find I receive the answers I need...
I wonder if there is a good PC forum (Windows, yes :/) on the web, is there? I found two German ones I sometimes post to and read, but I don't know any others. I tried CNET, but I found the design very impractical and the answers not so great. I also tried ArsTechnica, but maybe that's too nerdy for me and I found the answers so-so. Any help?

I know it's a bit off around here... I really don't know anywhere else to ask, sry.

Greetings,
Pete

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2012, 03:45 PM

facepunch.com has a ok PC section and Mac section along with a ton of other sections for everything else you can think of. A lot of PC talk occurs here too, and believe or not a lot of us are able to assist in PC issues too.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2012, 06:41 AM

Unfortunately, PC/Windows support is so fragmented that there's a forum for this hardware, for that hardware, for this brand complete machines and that brand complete machines, forums for different flavors of Windows (official and unofficial), etc., that it's hard to get solid answers that aren't dependent on the exact physical and software configuration of the machine you're working with.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2012, 11:40 AM

Neowin is kind of decent.

I've found better support on IRC, though, at least for stuff regarding specific applications/environments.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

HamSandwich
Jul 1, 2012, 03:36 AM

Alright, thanks already! Starting to think...
Varation of the question: What's the 'most important' (if that's possible to say) PC print magazine in the U.S.? Or is there no such thing... The two German PC forums I found are rather ok for very many questions I have and they are both from print magazines...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2012, 09:00 AM

If looks matter, the german PC Professionell magazine is a winner.

HamSandwich
Jul 2, 2012, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
If looks matter, the german PC Professionell magazine is a winner.
In Germany at least, this no longer exists since 2007, Wikipedia says... ?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2012, 10:06 AM

Oh, all I know is that the magazine redesign had been nominated for the 2009 Design Award (of the German Federal Republic) so I guessed it was still alive and kicking. My bad.

OreoCookie
Jul 2, 2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by PeterParker View Post
The two German PC forums I found are rather ok for very many questions I have and they are both from print magazines...
There are only two good German PC mags, c't and iX. The latter is geared towards professionals and sys admins (at least last time I checked). Both contain rather good tests which actually says something about how good a product is.

edit: Heise Verlag (which publishes c't and iX) has recently launched Mac & i, a new Mac magazine. I haven't tried it yet, but given the pedigree, it may be worth looking at.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules