Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Q: memory problems with 1st gen iPad Mini? (or problem with an app?)

Q: memory problems with 1st gen iPad Mini? (or problem with an app?)
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 3, 2014, 05:19 AM

Hi All,

I have a 1st generation iPad Mini, and I'm having what I think are memory problems (RAM, not storage).

I realise that this issue is not atypical: Safari pages constantly reloading etc, but in this case, I've lost a day's work, and I need to search out the cause. In particular, it's causing Evernote to lose what I've typed when I leave the app for a bit and then come back.

I do think that it's the iPad and not Evernote, because Evernote has only had this problem twice in the last week, and I've been using it for more than a year. In both cases, it was the same thing: I typed lots of notes, briefly went to another app, and came back to either an empty note, or with most of its content gone. Interestingly, the two notes were altered to earlier states, meaning that the first I originally wrote the day before and it went back to that exact preliminary state, and the second note went back to an earlier state from earlier in the day (I remember because I made a particular typo, left the app, came back and fixed the typo and continued note taking).

And no, the Evernote history feature wasn't a help, no earlier versions listed.

I've searched around the various fora for what I thought would be a flood of compliants with the same problem, and there's almost nothing (deleted notes, yes, but nothing about losing partial content of notes). If it were a bug in Evernote, I'd expect to see a lot more people talking about it.

iPad and Evernote are fully up to date, software-wise.

I'm happy to reset the ipad and restore from my backups, but I would like to know what I might lose if I do. If a restore brings everything back as it was, including whatever bug I'm struggling with, then that's not going to do me any good, and if I lose settings and data in apps, that's a possible deal-breaker too.

Any suggestions as to how I might proceed? I'm happy to believe that I'm wrong, and that it is Evernote (I've just deleted and reinstalled the app), but instinct tells me it's an iPad memory issue.

Thanks in advanced for any help!

Chas

ibook_steve
Apr 3, 2014, 01:56 PM

I doubt it's a hardware issue. I don't use Evernote, but I presume your notes are saved in the cloud. Is there an option for how often notes are saved to the cloud? Can you reproduce the problem with another device or on a computer? Have you tried logging out and back in to your account?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 5, 2014, 06:46 AM

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

After my OP, Evernote came back to me with this:

Hello chasg,

Thanks for contacting Evernote support. I'm sorry that you're having this issue.

The solution to this issue is to press the manual sync button before you exit Evernote. That includes before switching to another application.

This issue has been reviewed, fixed by our development team, and submitted to Apple. As soon as it is approved by Apple we will be releasing an update.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Best,

Jason C.
Evernote
The App Store says that my ipad downloaded a new version of Evernote on April 4 (a day after I wrote to Evernote, and the day that they wrote me back). I'm going to assume that the fix that Jason mentions is still pending. Until then, much manual sync-ing (actually, I downloaded "SimpleNote", I'll be using that instead).

So much for my assumption of a hardware problem on the iPad!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Cheers!

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules