Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to Switch Partitions

How to Switch Partitions
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2001, 02:20 PM

On my 10 GB dual USB iBook hard drive, I have OS 9 on an 8 GB partition and OS X on a 2 GB partition. I need more room on my OS X partition since I'm switching to it as my primary OS. How do I do this? I thought about starting up on an external FireWire startup disk and just physically dragging the contents of the OS X partition to the 8 GB partition, then dragging the contents of the OS 9 partiton to the 2 GB partition and renaming both of them. Will this not work due to invisible files or something that wouldn't get copied over? How can I do this. Thanks.
Apple user since 1987

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
<STRONG>On my 10 GB dual USB iBook hard drive, I have OS 9 on an 8 GB partition and OS X on a 2 GB partition. I need more room on my OS X partition since I'm switching to it as my primary OS. How do I do this? I thought about starting up on an external FireWire startup disk and just physically dragging the contents of the OS X partition to the 8 GB partition, then dragging the contents of the OS 9 partiton to the 2 GB partition and renaming both of them. Will this not work due to invisible files or something that wouldn't get copied over? How can I do this. Thanks.</STRONG>
The only way to do this would be to repartition your hard drive. And if I'm not mistaken this makes you lose all the data you have on the hard drive now. Maybe what you should do is use the firewire drive to back up all your data, then reformat/repartition the drive.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2001, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
<STRONG>

The only way to do this would be to repartition your hard drive. And if I'm not mistaken this makes you lose all the data you have on the hard drive now. Maybe what you should do is use the firewire drive to back up all your data, then reformat/repartition the drive.</STRONG>
But see, I don't understand why that would be the case. If a complete backup and recopy is possible, why isn't it possible to just copy the contents of one partition onto the other, then do the opposite and erase the duplicated data? It'd be copying the same things (visible files). Please explain...
Apple user since 1987

Forum Links
Forum Rules