Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do you still use your G3 iMac?

Do you still use your G3 iMac? (Page 5)
Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2009, 09:05 AM

We have at work an Indigo DV model used for simple stuff. At home I have a Powerbook G3 still running -- more than 10 years old!

gikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2009, 06:25 AM

ONe of my neighbours was having a clean-up and put an iMac on the street. It was there for a few days, even some overnight rain before I decided it might have a hard drive I could use.

Anyways, to or three screws into cracking it, I thought I'd just plug the power in first. Guess what? She booted into 10.1.5.
It gets better, the first admin user had autologin set on!!!

iMac G3 Rev-A
233mhz, 256MB, 4GB
manufactured Sept 1998

I've loaded 10.3.9 Panther, a 256MB stick to bring the total to 384MB, and a few pics, using it now as an electronic photoframe.

Macbook, Mac Mini, 2xiBook G3s, iMac G3 Rev-A 266mhz woo hoo!
iPod nano 2GB, iPod Photo 60GB, iPhone white 16GB
and Acer Aspire One, because Apple don't do netbooks, duh!

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2009, 12:07 PM

gikku, is it hard to upgrade? I should put more memory on my mom's G3. She is currently running OS 9.2 XD

gikku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
gikku, is it hard to upgrade? I should put more memory on my mom's G3. She is currently running OS 9.2 XD
fairly straight forward, simple really.
Phillips head screwdriver (and a flat screwdriver/spudger or other tool for a little leverage) is all that is required, oh! and 30 minutes (perhaps a little longer if you're being more cautious than i was!!).

The Rev-A 266mhz seems to differ a little from the latter models, as you might expect, so find the correct pics and instructions on the interwebs;

good pics here; http://www.macworld.com/article/2496...howtoimac.html

turn the imac over, place screen down on a soft surface so there's no chance of scratching the screen.
remove screw, prize off the lower plastic case with a small flat screw driver or spudger or similar tool

unplug the cd-drive, cables, etc.

remove two screws holding in the logic board, cd and HD assembly.

Gently, carefully but firmly, pull up the assembly to remove the logic board, cd and HD (little plastic handle where those two screws were).

RAM sitting on top of logic board. Held in with two little clips on either side, push the clips back and the ram should pop up a little.
Remove old RAM,
Install new RAM place new RAM in at a 45degree angle and push down into the clips.
and reverse process to put it all back together.

easy.

boot and see the new RAM recognised by the system (i can't recall how this is done in OS9.2)
good luck.
( Last edited by gikku; Mar 22, 2009 at 08:57 PM. )
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2xiBook G3s, iMac G3 Rev-A 266mhz woo hoo!
iPod nano 2GB, iPod Photo 60GB, iPhone white 16GB
and Acer Aspire One, because Apple don't do netbooks, duh!

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2009, 11:53 AM

I still use my 600Mhz Graphite regularly. I'm amazed by what it can still handle. 'Course, I'd love to have the 700Mhz version....but those are hard to find.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

sprstr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2009, 10:01 PM

I just got an indigo iMac 'cause I thought it was pretty.
it works ok so I'd like to carry on using it...I don't really do much but surf the web anyway so it doesn't need to do anything complicated.
It looks like upgrading the memory is pretty easy on a slot loading machine so should I do that?
its spec's are...
450 Mhz
192 MB SDRAM
OS X 10.4.11

I don't know much a bout this stuff but is running 10.4.11 too much for this machine?
(it came this way)

So,basically,what can I do so I can carry on using it and can I make it any better?
thanks!
( Last edited by sprstr; Sep 26, 2009 at 10:04 PM. Reason: spelling!)

Koralatov
Senior User
Sep 27, 2009, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by sprstr View Post
I just got an indigo iMac 'cause I thought it was pretty.
it works ok so I'd like to carry on using it...I don't really do much but surf the web anyway so it doesn't need to do anything complicated.
It looks like upgrading the memory is pretty easy on a slot loading machine so should I do that?
its spec's are...
450 Mhz
192 MB SDRAM
OS X 10.4.11

I don't know much a bout this stuff but is running 10.4.11 too much for this machine?
(it came this way)

So,basically,what can I do so I can carry on using it and can I make it any better?
thanks!
Running Tiger on 192MB must be painful. I’d upgrade the RAM as much as you can afford to — that iMac can take up to 1GB in two 512MB DIMMS, and they’re relatively cheap just now.

macgineer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2009, 12:29 PM

I have a 500 Mhz G3 imac that I use every day. With 10.4.11 and a full 1Gb of RAM, it runs very well. I have a G5 1.6 tower in my basement office and and old G3 Beige, but I find the imac is small enough, and sort of good looking enough to live in a family room. Use for Firefox surfing, email, MS Office, etc.

The only problem I see is with running some video clips posted on blogs and news sites. I get a time delay between the video and audio sometimes.

I've checked it for leaky caps and it appears I got a good one. I'm also on the lookout for a used imac G3 700 Mhz logic board. There doesn't seem to be many 700's out there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules