Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone ordered the Penryn MBP from Amazon.com?

Anyone ordered the Penryn MBP from Amazon.com?
Pao|o
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2008, 08:12 PM

They got the $150 rebate going on and no hassle with my credit card's country of origin but it's ETA'd to arrive by April 30.

So I was thinking whether I should wait until my day off to give AMazon.com a chance to deliver my MBP. If they can't I'll cancel and go to my local Apple store and take the $275 hit.

I'm just surprised it is taking this long for Amazon to offer the MBP when they're selling the Penryn MB already.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2008, 03:55 PM

I think the Apple stores always get priority with regard to stock. $275 is a nice amount of money and I would wait as long as you already have a computer to use. If your old computer is broken or you need it for business purposes I'd got to the Apple store. No way I could go a month without it personally.

Pao|o  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2008, 11:32 PM

I recomputed it and it appears if i were to wait i'd save more than $300 as i didnt include the price taxi fare.

I got this Eee PC going on now... so no rush

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2008, 04:29 AM

I wouldn't trust Amazon's estimate about when it will arrive. I think it's likely that they will get them very soon.

Pao|o  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 06:04 PM

It has been 9 days since Apple started shipping their new MBPs... still Amazon has no stocks grrrr

birdman
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2008, 07:01 PM

*Last* Tuesday, as in February 26th, the Apple Store online gave an estimated ship date of 2-4 business days for the upper 15.4" MBP. The next day, it said 1-2 business days. Sweet.

It has said 1-2 business days ever since. I know; I've been checking it daily. Both the lower 15.4" and the 17" MBPs are shipping within 24 hours.

Meanwhile, Amazon, where I ordered the upper 15.4" MBP (for the rebate and free Prime shipping) has said April 30th all this time. I assume that's just because they don't really know when they will come in; my friend ordered a TomTom GPS from Amazon that shipped within two days rather than the stated estimate of 3 weeks.

I don't understand what's so different between the two 15.4" MBPs that one is currently shipping and the other isn't. Do they not have enough 2.5 GHz chips, or is 512 MB of graphics memory hard to come by, or what?

-birdman

Edited to add: My friend ordered a non-Pro MacBook on Amazon the day they were released, and it shipped the next day.

Forum Links
Forum Rules