Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Television Series On DVD To iPod

Television Series On DVD To iPod
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2008, 10:26 PM

Two questions.

1- How can I convert each episode on a disc using HandBrake? The specific series I'm talking about comes in season DVD sets, containing 4 discs, with a few episodes on each, but when I pointed HandBrake to the DVD, it only encoded one of the episodes on it. Is there a file further in the disc I can point HandBrake to so I can encode each episode?

2- How do I change the aired date? As of now it says there is an unknown air date of each episode, and I would like to be able to change this.

Thanks for any and all help. Oh, and by the way, as you may have already figured out, I have a new iPod Yea, I'm pretty excited too.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2008, 11:16 PM

1) This is covered in the Handbrake documentation. From the Handbrake documentation page click on "How to Rip a TV show for your iPod with HandBrake" under "Documents for OS X."

2) MetaX can do this.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2008, 10:41 AM

1) Thanks. It sounds as if that'll do. I'll find out when my current rip is done, which will probably take something like a day... It still seems like I'm going to need to know which files within the DVD contain each episode though.

2) That sounds like just what I need too, and again, thank you. At first I was worried, because it requires Leopard, which I don't have, but they have the older Tiger version still up for download, so I'm set.

Boochie
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2008, 06:30 PM

When you select the source Handbrake will give you a list of titles. It's usually pretty easy to figure out which title corresponds to an episode and which is other junk -- usually for a one hour show they'll be about 45-50 min long each. Go through each title one by one and add them to the queue, choosing distinct filenames for each rip and whatever audio/video prefs you have. Once you've added all jobs to the queue, let it go and come back about half a day later.

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
1) Thanks. It sounds as if that'll do. I'll find out when my current rip is done, which will probably take something like a day... It still seems like I'm going to need to know which files within the DVD contain each episode though.

2) That sounds like just what I need too, and again, thank you. At first I was worried, because it requires Leopard, which I don't have, but they have the older Tiger version still up for download, so I'm set.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2008, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Boochie View Post
When you select the source Handbrake will give you a list of titles. It's usually pretty easy to figure out which title corresponds to an episode and which is other junk -- usually for a one hour show they'll be about 45-50 min long each. Go through each title one by one and add them to the queue, choosing distinct filenames for each rip and whatever audio/video prefs you have. Once you've added all jobs to the queue, let it go and come back about half a day later.
Yea... I made the mistake of forgetting to rename them different filenames the first time, so came back to find out the 2nd episode wrote over the 1st and the 3rd wrote over the 2nd. Yay. I've got them now though. Oh, and take another look at my Mac, its in my signature. It takes a bit more than half a day...

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 11, 2008, 06:17 PM

Mac User #001 - there is a product built just for you from Elgato called turbo h264. It's a dedicated USB dongle for conversions to h264 and really cuts down the conversion time on a pre-Intel mac. Basically it would reduce your conversion time to about 15-20% current times. Warning - it does NOT really speed up conversion on a faster machine, and I am told the handbrake forums do not like to even see a posting about this product (which is a shame, really, as having handbrake work with the turbo would be the best of both worlds. I think you can find them for about $90 from amazon.

Forum Links
Forum Rules