Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nikon/Canon Users: Make Your Case

Nikon/Canon Users: Make Your Case (Page 3)
Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
In my experience, Canon's kit lenses are terrible, while Nikon's kit lenses are excellent, even the cheap ones. Of course, they're not terribly fast lenses (i.e. the maximum aperture isn't the best), but they are optically sound and take great pictures. Of course, the 50D is usually not packed with typical kit lenses, it's sold alone or with a proper lens.
Canon's kit lenses are indeed crap. Even the IS version that came with the 5D was very blah.

I'd hate to be a lens snob, but I'd recommend that people buy bodies only (like you mentioned later in your post) and get themselves a good 50mm or a decent zoom lens right off the bat (unless they're wanting to do landscapes). I took so many shots with my kit lens that came with the XTi, and I look back on them now horribly disappointed.

I've only used one Nikon kit lens, and it did seem to be better than the Canon kits that I've used, but nothing beats a lens upgrade.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2009, 05:54 PM

The Canon XTi (350D) 18-55mm kit lens is not bad at 18mm and stopped down higher than f/5. Anything above that and you lose focus and contrast. But even so, it is still better than most point and shoot lenses at all focal and aperture settings.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 06:28 PM

Oh, definitely loads better than point-and-shoots. Still...it can be sooo much better...

Railroader
Banned
Jan 29, 2009, 07:34 PM

Oh yeah.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2009, 09:48 PM

By the way, I just translated your sig, and I think that's a horrible thing to say about Laminar.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 30, 2009, 11:02 PM

Crap!

But it is sooooo true!

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2009, 04:53 PM

So it's a Nikon the one I have chosen, since I can get this D90 with any of the lens listed below and I intend to get one right now, more later… Which one would make more sense?

VR 18-55 mm
VR 18-105 mm
VR 18-200 mm

Thanks.

OreoCookie
Jan 31, 2009, 05:41 PM

I'd say neither, get a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, you'll have a lot more creative freedom due to the larger initial aperture. It's cheaper than the 18-200 mm Nikkor you've listed.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
So it's a Nikon the one I have chosen, since I can get this D90 with any of the lens listed below and I intend to get one right now, more later… Which one would make more sense?

VR 18-55 mm
VR 18-105 mm
VR 18-200 mm

Thanks.
Are you looking for an all around zoom or have you considered a prime? If you have the opportunity, check out Sigma's 30mm f/1.4. On an APS-C size senor like the D90, it comes out to about a 50mm lens.. If you get a good sample, it can be a pretty decent lens. Awesome for low light photography.

I've got:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Nikon 12-24mm f/4
Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8

And I use the Sigma and the wide (12-24) the most.

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 08:31 PM

VR 18-200 mm
I picked up one of these last year and find my self using it a heck of a lot more than I thought I would... for location work. It requires chromatic aberration correction (especially at the wide range) but Photoshop has a great tool for correcting that when opening RAW files. Otherwise it is a fairly sharp lens for such a long zoom range and the Vibration Reduction works really, really well.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2009, 08:54 PM

Does your Nikon 18-200mm suffer from the lens creep?

design219
Professional Poster
Jan 31, 2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by waxcrash View Post
Does your Nikon 18-200mm suffer from the lens creep?
Sometimes when walking around with it over my shoulder it will slide out to full extension, but not when it is held still.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 1, 2009, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
I'd say neither, get a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, you'll have a lot more creative freedom due to the larger initial aperture. It's cheaper than the 18-200 mm Nikkor you've listed.
Huh?

That's really only one stop faster, and you're getting a crappy Tamron lens instead of a nice, value-retaining Nikkor. As I said: you buy a Nikon body so you can use Nikon lenses (same can be said for Canon. Don't waste your money with third-party lenses, which nobody wants to buy used. If anything, buy used Nikon lenses. (The only exception, IMHO, is Tokina, and even then, only for a lens you never expect to sell.)

As for "creative freedom", one stop makes basically no difference, but giving up a wide range of focal lengths certainly does.

Another issue is that latest-generation Nikon cameras (D90, D300, D700, D3/D3x) have built-in lateral chromatic aberration (LCA) correction for Nikon lenses. This makes a huge difference in edge sharpness. If you use third-party lenses, you forfeit this advantage.

Of those three lenses, I've only used the 18-200 extensively. The 18-55 I would avoid, simply because it has a rotating front element, so it's a pain in the ass to use with a polarizer, the one filter no camera bag should ever be without. The 18-200 is a great walkaround lens. The 18-105 is a successor-apparent to the 18-70 that I have, which is a perfectly fine lens.

I'd go with the 18-200 if you don't know what lenses you'll be needing. With experience, you'll find that you use some focal lengths more than others. I, for example, found that I do far more wide angle and macro than anything else, so I got an ultrawide zoom (12-24mm) and a macro lens, and those get used far more than my other lenses.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2009, 08:25 AM

Thanks all. design219 & tooki, your info is much appreciated.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2009, 06:55 AM

OK, so the D90 with the 18-200 lens is here. Now I wonder about the SD cards and how the Mac behaves with them for a given size… which ones are you using and how big? doesn't the Mac have issues with >4 GBs SD cards if those were PC formated?, if so I guess you can rely on NTFS3G or MacFUSE (which Parallels installed onto my Mac) to deal with it, right?. Thanks once again.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2009, 08:07 AM

I’ve never had any issues with my CF cards. They’re all just regular SanDisk ones, going up to 8 GB. I assume they’re probably PC formatted, but I’ve never even bothered to check, ’cause I never had any reason to. Plug it in, Image Capture fires up, and I transfer the RAW files.

OreoCookie
Feb 4, 2009, 08:17 AM

I'd format the memory cards in the camera.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 4, 2009, 08:30 AM

Always good advice!

hayesk
Feb 6, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Huh?

That's really only one stop faster, and you're getting a crappy Tamron lens instead of a nice, value-retaining Nikkor.
Not quite true. The kit lens is not f/3.5 across the entire zooming range. The Tamron is f/2.8 across the range. Although, I'm considering the new Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 - a bit pricy in Canada though so I'm not sure yet.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2009, 04:23 PM

OK, so the D90 with the 18-200 lens is here. Now I wonder about the SD cards and how the Mac behaves with them for a given size… which ones are you using and how big? doesn't the Mac have issues with >4 GBs SD cards if those were PC formated?, if so I guess you can rely on NTFS3G or MacFUSE (which Parallels installed onto my Mac) to deal with it, right?. Thanks once again.
I've never needed a PC or Parallels to use my 4GB SDHC card with my D40 and iMac. 8GB works the same as well.

D90 is a great camera, enjoy it!

edit: I use a MobileMate SD+ Memory Card Reader hooked to a USB cable on my desk. It's right behind the keyboard within reach and reads SDHC (and microSD) properly.
ice

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 6, 2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
I'm considering the new Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4
I'm enjoying mine. Good luck finding one though.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I've never needed a PC or Parallels to use my 4GB SDHC card with my D40 and iMac. 8GB works the same as well.
Corroborated, I bought a 8GB SD card and it works flawlessly with the Mac.

D90 is a great camera, enjoy it!
Thanks Ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules