Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you suck in? (Poll)

View Poll Results: Do you "suck in" to hide those extra pounds?
Poll Options:
Yes, I've gained weight, and I suck in regularly to hide it. 3 votes (13.64%)
Sometimes. It depends on the situation. 9 votes (40.91%)
No, and anyone who does is narcissistic and in denial. 0 votes (0%)
No. I don't think about that stuff. 8 votes (36.36%)
No…because I can't. 2 votes (9.09%)
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll
Do you suck in? (Poll)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 01:00 PM

I've never been a big guy, exactly. I've been 6'1'' since my sophomore year in high school, but I've got a very small frame, so my current weight looks a little bigger on me than it might on someone who is "bigger-boned." I've been trying to shed 10-15 pounds to get back to my ideal weight, but the process is ongoing.

Long story short, my wife commented that I don't know how to suck in. I didn't think it was that common, but she is "100% positive" that tons of people try to suck their bellies in while out and about.

Is this a ridiculous notion? Do you suck in? I just never think to do so, even though the ol' belly is protruding a bit.

SIDE TOPIC: How have you dealt with weight as you have grown older? That might mean methods of keeping the weight off, accepting a larger body size, or being at a loss as to how to deal with the weight gain? Or you might be blessed with a great metabolism that keeps you trim and beautiful...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 01:03 PM

Oddly, the thread title and content are exactly what I expected.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 01:03 PM

I've gotta get to the gym again
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oddly, the thread title and content are exactly what I expected.
Dance Central just isn't cutting it.

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I've gotta get to the gym again
Sorry to bring it up.

I've started running about 2.5 miles three or four times per week (and playing basketball again every Monday night for a few hours), and I'm already seeing results, but GOOD GOD...it's hard to stick with a routine.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 01:12 PM

Anyway, your wife is nuts. I'm sure there are idiots that do this, but they have to few and far in between.

Also, that's some excellent subtle commentary on your physical condition by her.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 01:16 PM

Anyway, your wife is nuts. I'm sure there are idiots that do this, but they have to few and far in between.
I thought so. There's no way I could walk around, sucking in day after day.

Also, that's some excellent subtle commentary on your physical condition by her.
Trust me, it wasn't quite as subtle as the initial post might imply. I finished speaking to our students earlier that night, and she said, "Um...just letting you know, because you asked me to...your buttons were tugging and spreading around the stomach area tonight. You might try sucking in."

Atheist
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2011, 01:17 PM

Guess I'm one of the nuts. Maybe I'm a little more self conscious than most since my partner is muscle from head to toe.... I can't help but feeling fat next to him.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I thought so. There's no way I could walk around, sucking in day after day.
Anyone with the concentration, willpower, and skill to do this on a regular basis surely would just start exercising semi-regularly instead.

I've always thought (and seen it portrayed) as a situational momentary thing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:18 PM

I mostly suck in air, especially at the gym.

-t

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Guess I'm one of the nuts. Maybe I'm a little more self conscious than most since my partner is muscle from head to toe.... I can't help but feeling fat next to him.
Know exactly how you feel. All my friends are in better shape than me, and my wife has lost probably 20 pounds running and doing Zumba.

Anyone with the concentration, willpower, and skill to do this on a regular basis surely would just start exercising semi-regularly instead.

I've always thought (and seen it portrayed) as a situational momentary thing.
Me too. I've always thought it was easily-spotted as well (see every shirtless Jerry scene from Seinfeld).

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:36 PM

SIDE TOPIC: How have you dealt with weight as you have grown older?
Treadmill (up to 10 miles/day) + don't eat dead things.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 01:56 PM

Live plants only, and the occasional chicken on stage, I assume?

I had put on ever-so-slight pudge up until last winter (09/10), and then the swine flu hit and nearly killed me. Lost a good couple kilos there.

I can heartily recommend it, if you're really that worried about it.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2011, 02:03 PM

all men suck in, even when they are alone
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Railroader
Banned
Feb 10, 2011, 02:41 PM

I'm fat, I don't suck in. Not anymore at least. It just looks weird.

Though ages ago when I had a job where I stood over 8 hours a day, and it wasn't very physically or mentally exerting of a job, I used to flex my stomach muscles and consciously suck in my stomach the entire shift. I had a few girls comment how trimmed I was looking and what my work out was. It does work, but you have to think about it and it can be distracting. With your "desk job" you probably won't be able to do this.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post

I had put on ever-so-slight pudge up until last winter (09/10), and then the swine flu hit and nearly killed me. Lost a good couple kilos there.

Ha. This happens to me every year. I'll get up to about 175, get deathly ill in the winter, and go back down to around 160.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 02:51 PM

My stomach is as tight as a snare drum, so I don't suck in perse...might flex it a bit if someone of note is looking at it.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 02:58 PM

I'm naturally lithe.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 03:07 PM

I'm so awesome that even if I did have a huge stomach, the chicks would still go wild for it.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Treadmill (up to 10 miles/day) + don't eat dead things.
That's my problem: I can't eat lettuce. I love tons of vegetables, but I can't go the salad route.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Bahhhh ha ha ha ha ha...

Actually, I developed a stomach condition last year that caused me to throw up nearly everything I ate for a few weeks. I lost a good 15 lbs. in the process, then slowly gained most of it back. 160 is my ideal weight.

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I'm fat, I don't suck in. Not anymore at least. It just looks weird.

Though ages ago when I had a job where I stood over 8 hours a day, and it wasn't very physically or mentally exerting of a job, I used to flex my stomach muscles and consciously suck in my stomach the entire shift. I had a few girls comment how trimmed I was looking and what my work out was. It does work, but you have to think about it and it can be distracting. With your "desk job" you probably won't be able to do this.
See, that's like Dakar said: it seems like more trouble than actually working out.

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
My stomach is as tight as a snare drum, so I don't suck in perse...might flex it a bit if someone of note is looking at it.
Ah-HA! You're guilty of it.

I'm so awesome that even if I did have a huge stomach, the chicks would still go wild for it.
Try it.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2011, 04:02 PM

6'1" and 160lb? Ideal?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Ha. This happens to me every year. I'll get up to about 175, get deathly ill in the winter, and go back down to around 160.
Does your liver stop working and your skin turn yellowish brown, too?

andi*pandi
Feb 10, 2011, 04:29 PM

For pictures if I think of it.

I go back and forth between cursing my age/metabolism, and just thinking wth, this is what being old is.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
6'1" and 160lb? Ideal?
That sounds about right. My ideal (at 6') is 158.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 04:46 PM

I'd really like to know how people with a full-time job (at least 9 or 10 hours a day away from home), kids that they actually see growing up and sleep 8 hours a day, can actualy fit in a gym schedule. I find it impossible.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I'd really like to know how people with a full-time job (at least 9 or 10 hours a day away from home), kids that they actually see growing up and sleep 8 hours a day, can actualy fit in a gym schedule. I find it impossible.
That's my problem. Basically, I'm trying to squeeze in 30-minute workouts that are intense enough to make a difference, and it's almost impossible. I don't even have kids yet.

6'1" and 160lb? Ideal?
My doctor told me for my frame/age/height, 155 is the "right" weight. I remember feeling healthiest/fittest at 160. In high school I weighed about 135. I looked like a white Kerry Kittles for a while.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 05:27 PM

Kerry Kittles
That is awful.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2011, 05:31 PM

My doctor told me for my frame/age/height, 155 is the "right" weight. I remember feeling healthiest/fittest at 160. In high school I weighed about 135. I looked like a white Kerry Kittles for a while.
Really? I'm 6' and 170lb and skinny. I'm trying to gain about 15lbs to fill out.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2011, 05:33 PM

I cycle to work - when it's not -25Cº like today - and it makes a huge different to how I feel. I can't stand gyms, find them utterly boring, but combining the commute with a workout makes sense to me.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I cycle to work - when it's not -25Cº like today - and it makes a huge different to how I feel. I can't stand gyms, find them utterly boring, but combining the commute with a workout makes sense to me.
I wish I could do this, but...

1. In Louisiana it gets to be about 104 F in the summer (with crazy humidity).
2. There are no safe bike lanes/sidewalks on the way to my work. I'd pretty much have to risk my life every day.

Really? I'm 6' and 170lb and skinny. I'm trying to gain about 15lbs to fill out.
That's what I'm saying: 180 looks right for some people. I think the problem is that for about two years I got almost no exercise. There's not as much tone, my blood pressure has risen, and I don't feel great. To maintain 160, I was getting loads of exercise, still eating anything (within reason), and felt healthy.

That is awful.
...and I was still cocky for some reason. I think God smote me with back hair for my arrogance.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 10, 2011, 05:42 PM

Hope you wife enjoys the sensation of spooning a bear skin rug.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 05:44 PM

I used to suck in all the time, had a small belly most of my adult life. Then I finally got tired of the teasing and got rid of it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 05:50 PM

Hope you wife enjoys the sensation of spooning a bear skin rug.
Real-life LOL from that one.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I used to suck in all the time, had a small belly most of my adult life. Then I finally got tired of the teasing and got rid of it.
I think that's the point I'm nearing. It's the first time since freshman year or so that I've felt self-conscious every time I go out in public. I think that speaks more about some unresolved pride issues I have, though.

What did you do to take care of it?

Cold Warrior
Feb 10, 2011, 06:17 PM

jawbone, in addition to running, try to do some strength training, such as pushups and situps, and weights if you have any. A combination of cardio and muscle building will help you lose pounds better. About 18 months ago I got back into a workout routine after a year or two of small but persistent weight gain. I didn't get fat, but like you was heavier than is comfortable for my frame. I lost about 2 lbs a week until I hit my short-term goals.

Jawbone54  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
jawbone, in addition to running, try to do some strength training, such as pushups and situps, and weights if you have any. A combination of cardio and muscle building will help you lose pounds better. About 18 months ago I got back into a workout routine after a year or two of small but persistent weight gain. I didn't get fat, but like you was heavier than is comfortable for my frame. I lost about 2 lbs a week until I hit my short-term goals.
Thank you much! This is the type of response I was anticipating.

It's funny that you mention that -- I brought workout clothes to the office today so I can lift some weights and hit the treadmill (we have a decent weight room at the church where I work). How many days per week did you work out?

Cold Warrior
Feb 10, 2011, 06:30 PM

4 days a week at first for 45 minutes or so, a mix of paced running, pushups, situps, etc., and sprints or intervals once a week in place of a paced run. After a couple months like that I cut it down to 30 minutes 3-4 times a week, alternating between runs and strength, and I still saw ok weight loss.

But I also paid close attention to my food intake, not starving just reducing portions and replaced regular lunch with a fruit lunch.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
When my wife didn't work I did cycle to work. But arriving hot and sweaty (there aren't any showers) doesn't make the day the most comfortable. Now that she works, I take my 2 kids to two different schools each morning. Work is then a 20 minute drive from there.

The gym at lunch thing is an idea, but I find the price a rip off. Maybe I'm just trying to find excuses.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 07:00 PM

The gym at lunch thing is an idea, but I find the price a rip off. Maybe I'm just trying to find excuses.
I considered this for 2 seconds, but decided I liked food better than workout.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 07:00 PM

There's a fat/muscle ratio going on here.

I'm a little over 6'

When I was really active I weighed 170 and people said I looked like an AIDS patient.

I weigh about the same now, and people say I'm just skinny, which is true except for my two-fisted Polack gut.

Admittedly, I hide it under an XL Duluth Trading long-sleeve tee.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 07:37 PM

I think that's the point I'm nearing. It's the first time since freshman year or so that I've felt self-conscious every time I go out in public. I think that speaks more about some unresolved pride issues I have, though.

What did you do to take care of it?
Crunches, running, swimming, and no more beer or candy.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2011, 09:06 PM

What about light beer?? Or Guinness only?? Can we meet in the middle here??

30 is where it catches up I guess. I managed to look super-sexy for years, but I need to burn a good 15 pounds now. Just got a membership and 6am pre-work visits start tomorrow. Lucky for me it's 100 feet from my door

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 09:27 PM

Note that for maximum effect, aerobic must be 30+ minutes. Under 30 burns the food you've eaten today, over 30 burns your flab.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 10, 2011, 10:02 PM

Has anyone done P90X? Looks interesting. Might be useful in taking off the 15lbs I've put on since getting married, and it's sometime I can do on the road where a gym membership won't do any good, and I wouldn't mind gaining a little strength and endurance for volleyball/basketball.

I'm down 5lbs since changing up my diet - red meat twice a week or less, low cholesterol food (I'm genetically predisposed), two fish meals a weeks, etc.

200lbs./6'5" now. Doctor says my ideal weight is 198. I was 185-190 all through college, though I did dip down to 165 my sophomore year when I chose to do homework instead of eat most days.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Has anyone done P90X?
I don't know much about it, but from what I've just read it looks a little "faddy". "Muscle confusion" might work to alleviate plateaux in competitive body-building, but unless you're reaching those plateaux in the first place (which, as a regular dude just trying to trim up, you won't be) then there's not much point.

Treadmill + weights bench* + watch what you eat = will do the trick.

(* a proper one which is safe to use alone, like a Powertec Workbench.)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2011, 11:29 PM

I don't know much about it, but from what I've just read it looks a little "faddy". "Muscle confusion" might work to alleviate plateaux in competitive body-building, but unless you're reaching those plateaux in the first place (which, as a regular dude just trying to trim up, you won't be) then there's not much point.

Yeah, unless you're going into competition, don't bother. I like that Multi System they make, might check it out if they sell it in something other than yellow. Lately I just go down to the gym and then get on the bike for an hour. I hit a wall on the bench at 345lbs in Nov, can't get past it. I'm pretty happy there, though.
- Thomas Paine

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2011, 02:28 AM

Yeah, unless you're going into competition, don't bother. I like that Multi System they make, might check it out if they sell it in something other than yellow.
They do them in all black (used to do them in red too - don't know if that's still the case). Smaller version (Levergym) is better than larger. Just add separate squat machine or a proper leg press.

Lately I just go down to the gym and then get on the bike for an hour. I hit a wall on the bench at 345lbs in Nov, can't get past it. I'm pretty happy there, though.
Yep, that's my view if you're not in comp - find your wall, then take a look at yourself and ask if you're where you want to be. If so, why bother trying to go more?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2011, 08:29 AM

P90x works great - it's just the problem of keeping it up.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2011, 10:25 AM

Yeah, unless you're going into competition, don't bother. I like that Multi System they make, might check it out if they sell it in something other than yellow. Lately I just go down to the gym and then get on the bike for an hour. I hit a wall on the bench at 345lbs in Nov, can't get past it. I'm pretty happy there, though.
Wow...you bench 345lb??
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Feb 11, 2011, 10:39 AM

Most places I stay will have little more than an elliptical and a treadmill (if anything) so I'm looking for something I can take on the road. I got some resistance bands and over-the-door pullup handles that I can easily toss in my suitcase.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Most places I stay will have little more than an elliptical and a treadmill (if anything) so I'm looking for something I can take on the road. I got some resistance bands and over-the-door pullup handles that I can easily toss in my suitcase.
Sorry, I missed the bit about "portable". My bad. I was thinking about that nice space in yer garage.

I know it sounds cheesy, but it works... ...Bullworker too big for your travels?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2011, 11:58 AM

Sorry, I missed the bit about "portable". My bad. I was thinking about that nice space in yer garage.
Not much spare room in there, especially when parking both cars in there for the winter. I had to put two bikes in storage (in-law's spare garage).

Might be moving in a couple months, though.

I know it sounds cheesy, but it works... ...Bullworker too big for your travels?
20"x2"x4" and four pounds sounds portable enough.

Forum Links
Forum Rules