Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Post-PC" Devices

"Post-PC" Devices (Page 9)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2011, 11:58 PM

I think just the opposite. Dedicated apps will die off gradually, and everyone will have highly customized web apps.

P.S. One of the most annoying things I find about the iPad are the multitude of sites that don't work well unless you download their dedicated app. That's just irritating.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2011, 03:21 AM

Use Mercury.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

P.S. One of the most annoying things I find about the iPad are the multitude of sites that don't work well unless you download their dedicated app. That's just irritating.
You keep talking about that yet still I can't find any.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
You keep talking about that yet still I can't find any.
That's seriously strange, considering you live in Toronto... How about just the The Globe and Mail? Surely you've heard of them?

Their mobile site isn't any help either since their solution there is just to remove the incompatible content.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 08:47 AM

I suspect that you're talking about the videos needing flash? That's being addressed, according to my friends at the G&M.

Not that you'll get videos with the dead tree version either and the remainder of the site renders beautifully, does it not?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2011, 08:58 AM

Aktuelle Nachrichten - Bild.de and the New York Post both refer you to the app when you try to access them from an iPad, AFAIK.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2011, 09:20 AM

I suspect that you're talking about the videos needing flash? That's being addressed, according to my friends at the G&M.

Not that you'll get videos with the dead tree version either and the remainder of the site renders beautifully, does it not?
So, you claim you dont know of any such issues but when I show you a very obvious one from your own backyard, you suddenly know all about it and have inside info about how the issue will be corrected soon.

And then you try to justify it by saying that printed newspapers do not support videos either.

Really, WTF?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 11:53 AM

The problem I've got with some of your posts is that you've got a tendency to talk in absolutes.

You can't do 'real work' on an iPad.
MS Office is essential for real work.
A multitude of sites don't work.
A netbook is superior, etc, etc

None of these statements are meshing with my personal experience, thus my reaction of wtf?
That the Globe shows video in flash format is a legacy issue and is being adressed. Importantly, this doesn't invalidate the iPad as a browsing platform, as it is perfectly capable of displaying embedded video.

The forwarding to an app issue also has little to do with the iPad, it is simply the publishing industry trying to figure out how to survive. The very same behaviour could happen on a desktop, where publications could also block browser traffic, should they so choose.

You're not pointing out shortcomings of the iPad, you're pointing out stuff that needs fixing anyway, iPad or no iPad. Remember QT plugins like 'Flip for Mac' which we all had to install as recently as three years ago to watch the majority of streaming web video? Same thing, that was legacy technology on it's way out.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2011, 12:56 PM

Meh. I just pointed out what I don't like about the iPad, including lack of multi-user Mail support, lack of native MS Office, and lack of full compatibility with a lot of sites.

Your response is often just to move the goalposts or argue something completely unrelated.

Eug: The lack of multi-user support in the OS and in Mail is annoying.
Phileas: Why, don't you trust your wife? Cuz if you don't trust her with your email then you two must have issues.

Eug: Lots of sites don't work normally on the iPad, and I find it annoying their solution is just to tell you to use a dedicated app.
Phileas: You're full of it, they don't exist.
Eug: Here's a totally obvious example.
Phileas: Oh yeah well that's still better than a printed piece of paper and it's gonna get fixed immediately anyway, despite the fact that it doesn't exist.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2011, 01:38 PM

Fair enough. I'll try and keep an eye open for that kind of thing in the future.

Although I am still arguing that it's not the iPad that's incompatible, it's sites that are stuck in the past.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 11:16 AM

You guys should buy an Android tablet to visit those sites.

The Asus TF101 Transformer isn't bad, you can even use a microSD card.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2011, 11:43 AM

Too bad Flash doesn't run on that, either.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Does it display your battery status with little Energon Cubes?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Does it display your battery status with little Energon Cubes?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2011, 05:47 PM

You guys should buy an Android tablet to visit those sites.

So....... Flash.... can... run............. like...... this?

I have an Android tablet too, and it's not all unicorns and rainbows.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2011, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
So....... Flash.... can... run............. like...... this?

I have an Android tablet too, and it's not all unicorns and rainbows.
I must be doing something wrong, flash seems to run fine on mine.

Can't people take some prodding when a non-Apple product does more than an Apple product? My tablet does everything that I bought it for, and in the way I wanted it to without the worry that I had if I bought an iPad. Hopefully this will make the next version of the iPad better.

I'm an Apple user as well remember.

==========================

I wonder what will prevail (apps or browser) in the tablet or low-powered computer market. Apple certainly doesn't want you using a browser when it could earn money by selling an app. But then won't people get fed up with paying for an app on a tablet when they're getting free access to a company's web-page on their PC? I've managed (so far) without paid apps.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Too bad Flash doesn't run on that, either.
You've been mis-informed.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2011, 04:41 AM

You've been mis-informed.
Everything I've read (apart from your post) has indicated that it's more of an erratic limping than a "run", which is what I was getting at.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2011, 07:30 AM

None of the tablets we've got in the office, could in any way be accused of 'running' flash. What does run, are the batteries. Out.

The Playbook fares best, but is still far from perfect.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2011, 11:21 AM

None of the tablets we've got in the office, could in any way be accused of 'running' flash. What does run, are the batteries. Out.

The Playbook fares best, but is still far from perfect.
Wi-fi really does run down the batteries. Heavy game playing is pretty taxing as well. Reading books isn't. Dunno if Adobe Reader uses more than the epub app.

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Everything I've read (apart from your post) has indicated that it's more of an erratic limping than a "run", which is what I was getting at.
I'm not trying to piss people off, but give me a heavy flash site (my daughter has been using Poisson Rouge . Red Fish Soup . Games for Children . Jeux pour Enfants for some game playing) and I'll try to give an honest opinion.

Dunno what films/tv shows are like, I'll test tonight.

hayesk
Jun 23, 2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I think just the opposite. Dedicated apps will die off gradually, and everyone will have highly customized web apps.
Why? That never happened on the desktop. Why would it happen on mobile devices?

Why is everyone in a hurry to make web apps? They're slower, use more RAM, and less capable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules