Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX's GUI ??

OSX's GUI ??
presspics
Oct 24, 2002, 09:40 PM

Is there or could there be another GUI option for OSX? Either from apple or a thrid party? I'd be happy to see a simpler interface like OS9. Windows XP has it built in that you can use the "Classic" interface which saves processing power. I'd love to see an interface like OS9 with the underpinnings of OSX.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2002, 10:06 PM

It's definately possible. It's already sort of available by running XWindows on Darwin, although that's without access to Carbon and Cocoa apps. But as far as I know (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know all that much about GUIs), all that would be necessary would be for someone to make it so that XWindows could read the NIB files and we would have a fully functional OS X XWindows.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2002, 10:15 PM

...or maybe something called a theme?

presspics  (op)
Oct 24, 2002, 10:18 PM

I don't think a theme would do it. I would like to see the overhead reduced to free up clock cycles instead of just changing the appearance.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by presspics:
I don't think a theme would do it. I would like to see the overhead reduced to free up clock cycles instead of just changing the appearance.
heh doubt thats gonna happen.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2002, 10:50 PM

One of the MAJOR issues with Linux is that you can't tell what OS a person is running... KDE vs. GNOME... and everything looks different...

Anyway, there are enough themes out there for OS X... Why should Apple put people on it instead of working on more important things...

presspics  (op)
Oct 24, 2002, 10:53 PM

where do you get OSX themes? And what app do you need to make them work?

Visnaut
Senior User
Oct 24, 2002, 11:03 PM

Free up clock cycles to do what, really?

To speed up the interface? That's subjective, so I won't pick that touchy subject...

To do serious processor-intensive work? Any GUI suffers under such a condition...

I'm just curious to know what people are saving their precious clock cycles for.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
One of the MAJOR issues with Linux is that you can't tell what OS a person is running... KDE vs. GNOME... and everything looks different...
Why is that a big deal? An OS should work the way the user wants it to, and not be restricted by having a distinctive look. I personally like Aqua, but on my Linux box I prefer HackedBox and can't stand using Gnome or KDE.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2002, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by presspics:
where do you get OSX themes? And what app do you need to make them work?
Duality (the app) is a good place to start. ResExcellence.com has themes updated for 10.2 and 10.1.

You can download things like TinkerTool (free system utility) and Shadowkiller (free haxie) to turn off effects, and use a themes with minimal transparency. All this may provide a small speed boost. YMMV.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 25, 2002, 02:40 AM

Not gonna happen from Apple. The Platinum (Mac OS 8-9) theme was in fact included in Mac OS X DP3 and lower (in DP3, Aqua was already present, but if you nixed Aqua, then Platinum would take over). Then they took Platinum out in DP4.

tooki

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 25, 2002, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Not gonna happen from Apple. The Platinum (Mac OS 8-9) theme was in fact included in Mac OS X DP3 and lower (in DP3, Aqua was already present, but if you nixed Aqua, then Platinum would take over). Then they took Platinum out in DP4.

tooki
Yeah and that sucked bigtime.

They should have made that ability stick.

I give MS props for doing this in XP.

It would also force developers to actually use said resources, instead of their own custome ones.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2002, 07:14 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Platinum was in DP4, but it didn't work very well. They took it out for the Public Beta.

Anyway, it's not Aqua which is so taxing to the CPU; it's the Quartz system underlying it. Switching back to Platinum won't save any cycles, contrary to what a few whiners have tried to say, because it would still be Quartz doing the drawing.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules