Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook catastrophe!

Powerbook catastrophe!
MAlan
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2005, 12:54 AM

Tonight water was spilled all over my 12 " powerbook. The powerbook was sleeping at the time. I immediately woke it up from sleep and it seemed fine for a couple minutes. I was trying to shut it down when it went beserk. A major screeching sound emanated from the speaker and the screen went blank. At this point I removed the battery pronto. I guess I probably should have done that first. Anyway, I need some advice.

We have new baby pictures on the powerbook that are not replaceable. The amount of water that was spilled on it wasn't that much. The data on the hard drive could probably be retrieved. I want to know what the best course of action would be. Here are some ideas I had.

1) I have an old ibook (white 500 MHz) whose hard drive is hosed. I was thinking of opening up the powerbook, taking the hard drive out, hook the PB HD to the ibook. Then try to boot the ibook in firewire target mode from the PB HD. Then I could copy all the important files over to my iMac.

2) Send computer or just hard drive directly to a data recovery place.

3) Go to the local Apple store and get their advice. They will probably send the computer away and I'm afraid they may wipe the hard drive by mistake.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2005, 01:39 AM

You should have unplugged it and let it dry. It may have caused serious, serious damage by starting it up.

Give it a few days, totally shut down with no juice then see if you can boot it. You can also try FireWire mode then.

You could try a data recovery if the above fails but it'll be expensive, most likely. Only take it in when you are ready to have it repaired. If it didn't short out, it should be fine after a few days (luckily it was water and not soda or juice or something sticky).

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2005, 02:44 AM

First, let it dry out and then try to start it up. It might just work. If so, don't take chances and get the important data off the drive.

The data on the drive is probably ok. if you want to do it yourself (warranty may be voided if you open it yourself), you can remove the drive and hook it up to a desktop mac and retrieve your data.

these 2 pages show disassembly of a 15" powerbook. should be very similar to a 12"

http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/2005/10...e_apart/1.html

you also need one of these adapters to connect your notebook drive to a desktop.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HD-108&cat=HDD

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2005, 02:44 AM

From your description, there is no particular reason to think that the hard drive should be damaged, so you should be fine.

You can get a case for the hard drive that will let you connect it to any computer, either USB 2 or Firewire.

Or you can try installing it in the iBook. Last time I had to do this (but with PC notebooks), it was an easy 30 second job to unscrew the drive and slide it out. Be sure to let everything dry first, and have the computer unplugged, battery removed, and ground yourself.

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2005, 06:50 AM

Some people use hand held hair dryers to aid in the drying process.

MAlan  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 23, 2005, 10:09 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I'm going to buy a firewire drive enclosure for 2.5 " drives. I searched newegg.com but didn't see any 2.5 " enclosures. I did a froogle search and found many manufacturers. The lowest prices were for StarTech.com and ADS Pyro. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer?

Thanks.

mad cow disease
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2005, 11:38 AM

lagarto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2005, 12:24 PM

OK, this is probably more for future reference:

* Take the battery out straight away!
* Place the laptop on a flat surface like a table with the screen open and hanging over the edge. Ideally place it on a towel. Consider detaching the keyboard if you can (this works for an iBook) and removing RAM.
* Pop open any other openings such as the DVD drive (if it is a tray).
* Now use a hair dryer to blow COOL air through all the vents and openings. If the hair dryers can be set to warm (not hot) then fine, but watch the temparature!
* Do not use conditioner !

Water alone should not corrode anything, the real danger is shorting some electrical connection. Laptops are built very compact, so you need patience to dry them out. I've used this technique on everything from an iBook to a TV where I spilt a vase of flowers down the back!

Good luck!

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 23, 2005, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by lagarto
OK, this is probably more for future reference:

* Take the battery out straight away!
Let me reemphasize this point: If you spill liquid onto your laptop, DO NOT start it up, wake it up, etc. - IMMEDIATELY cut the power (unplug, and remove battery), and let it dry out. Powering any electrical component with water contamination, is asking for trouble.

iBorg

Forum Links
Forum Rules