Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > PC Laptop with Intel's new Yonah processor!

PC Laptop with Intel's new Yonah processor!
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 10:28 PM

I didn't know where to put this thread, but I figure that Mac heads might be interested. This is a Windows PC laptop, but the Yonah processor is believed to be in the upcoming Mac laptops (iBook & PowerBooks).

Acer TravelMate 8200 Specs

* Intel Core Duo 2.0GHz processor (Intel Yonah processor)
* 2GB RAM 533/677
* 15.4" WXGA screen
* Seagate 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
* ATI Radeon X1600 512MB
* DVD-DL Burner
* Built-in 1.3 Mega pixel camera, with 225-degree swivel ability
* New Intel Pro wireless 3945 a/b/g
* Built-in VOIP capability
* Weight of 6.6lbs
* Approximately 6 hours of batterylife (87W 7800mAH )
* Carbon Fiber finish lid

Notice the 6 hours of battery life!

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2006, 11:03 PM

The processor and video card make me happy, but overall, it looks very PC like. I'm assuming Apple would Macify it.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2006, 11:17 PM

Neat curvey keyboard.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 3, 2006, 11:52 PM

This looks similar to their Ferrari brand laptops. I don't mind the style for a PC laptop. The 512 MB VRAM is incredible. Guess Apple will start with 128 or at most 256 MB. The low weight and 6 HR battery life is good news; much better news than the laptop I googled:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardwar...id=126&tid=184

I chuckled at the last words...
( Last edited by urrl78; Jan 4, 2006 at 12:03 AM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2006, 08:12 AM

Steve from Hexus writes "Dual core finds its way inside a laptop (albeit a not-so-portable DTR) in the form of Rockdirect's Xtreme64. The DTR features an Athlon 64 X2 4800+, two 7200rpm hard drives and a GeForce Go 6800 Ultra GPU. HEXUS.net has a review of the laptop, one of the most powerful we've seen hit the market to date." From the article: "Rather than change a formula that works, Rockdirect has opted to stick with the Clevo D900-based chassis that its other performance-based laptops use. The obvious downsides are bulkiness and weight, with the laptop sitting almost 5cm high and weighing in at 5.7kg. It's a desktop replacement in the truest sense of the words, and with an 8kg travel weight (including charger and supplied carrying case) and relatively poor battery life, it's about as portable as a concrete slab."
5.7kg is almost 12.5 lbs (although the specs above say 6.6lbs)! That's over two powerbooks!

I like the dual Hard drives, though. A RAID in a laptop would be nice. Apple could do this with the 17" PB.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
5.7kg is almost 12.5 lbs (although the specs above say 6.6lbs)! That's over two powerbooks!

I like the dual Hard drives, though. A RAID in a laptop would be nice. Apple could do this with the 17" PB.
er, those specs are for a completely different laptop. The Acer originally posted is 6.6 pounds, the one you quoted is 5.7kg and uses a dual core desktop processor (albeit a fast one) rather than the new laptop-friendly Yonah.

"I start fires!"

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
...and at almost two inches thick, that's going to be one DENSE laptop! My Dell is less than 8 pounds and it's a "desktop replacement" laptop...

Originally Posted by Erimjh
I agree; RAID would be good, but ANY hard drive flexibility on a laptop is something that would attract buyers. Being stuck with one specific drive-whatever was installed when the laptop was built-is very limiting.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2006, 03:06 PM

At least it'll be fast when it's plugged into a wall.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules