Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express vs. Base Station? Same thing?

Airport Express vs. Base Station? Same thing?
mike518
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2005, 07:20 AM

Hi, I'm going to buy my new iBook in about 3 months, and I want to set up a wireless network with my pc.

Does having an Airport Express do the same thing as a base station? What I mean is, if I buy the airport express, then there is effictively no need for me to purchase a base station? Correct?

And one more question if it's not too much trouble, with airport express, is it as simple as plugging it into the powerpoint, and plugging my adsl modem into it, and my iBook will be able to work with me to basicly configure everything, so I'll be online in no time? Or will it be a rather long setup experience with me trying to setup the modem for it, etc?

Thanks very much in advance.
Michael.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 3, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by mike518:
Hi, I'm going to buy my new iBook in about 3 months, and I want to set up a wireless network with my pc.

Does having an Airport Express do the same thing as a base station? What I mean is, if I buy the airport express, then there is effictively no need for me to purchase a base station? Correct?

And one more question if it's not too much trouble, with airport express, is it as simple as plugging it into the powerpoint, and plugging my adsl modem into it, and my iBook will be able to work with me to basicly configure everything, so I'll be online in no time? Or will it be a rather long setup experience with me trying to setup the modem for it, etc?

Thanks very much in advance.
Michael.
Michael, yes, the AirPort Express is the equivalent of a base station. It will do basically everything an Extreme base station will except give you multiple ethernet ports. If you are only expecting to connect to it wirelessly, that's no problem.

And yes, it is supposed to be as simple as all that. Do, however, read the manual first, since it will explain the details you'll run into.

Finally, enjoy!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ReefHobbyist
Mar 3, 2005, 11:48 AM

Here is a decent article comparing the different airport base stations.

http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Evolution/index.html

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 4, 2005, 02:28 PM

An AirPort Express can be used as a base station for most cases. It's easiest when you intend to only connect wireless machines. You can use it for more complex situations, but it can get very tricky, so a full Base Station is better for that.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Forum Links
Forum Rules