Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > A model to support and sustain Open Source Development

A model to support and sustain Open Source Development
prakash
Jun 10, 2005, 12:30 AM

We have all been using open source and free source software for years
now.Do we make a regular contributions to the open source development
process?

The idea of tuxservices.com is to create a transparent model for supporting and sustaining open source development process.

Millions of users and corporations use open source software..think if
all small contributions from users and developers add up..I have been trying to spread the word around in linux forums,I thought of bringing it up in macnn because i use an ibook and I know how many open source software i use in OS X.

visit http://www.tuxservices.com

Let us discuss the total transparency model at http://tuxservices.blogspot.com

I need ideas from the Apple community and a good php/mysql developer with some time in hand...

prakash  (op)
Jun 10, 2005, 02:42 AM

This is not an advertisement,I need some real feedback from you guys...

Thanks

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 03:14 AM

You need a better looking site if you're going to get my money

Anyway seriously though, isn't the point of Open Source software that it's free? I'd rather specifically simply donate to those projects that I like, or send em a thank you. If I had money I might donate to like cyberduck or something... that said, really if I have money to donate... it's probably going to go to something like my church...

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jun 10, 2005, 03:21 AM

If you're making regular contributions, how is it free software anymore?
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2005, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by moki
Then it's free like Napster... shudder...

prakash  (op)
Jun 10, 2005, 12:52 PM

To answer your questions

re.Tuxservices.com

1.re.superchicken

I need a good looking website to get my money

haa.The idea is not create eye candy and take money,but we are working on a transparent model where users can see how their donation is being used and projects being funded..in a real time manner..tuxservices doesnot need any profit from this,I believe it can sustain if many users donate..businesses can sponsor sustaining the website...

regular small donations once every year and you can be happy that all open source projects will benefit even cyberduck during its term..Think if millions contribute small amounts..wont all open source projects benefit..fink,cyberduck etc

2.re.moki

if everyone are donating how is it free..see that is the beauty..nobody forces to donate..and you can use it even if you dont donate..but i think it is a moral responsibility to donate small amounts...

please throw ur ideas...

Thanks

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 10, 2005, 01:04 PM

So it's guiltware.

prakash  (op)
Jun 10, 2005, 01:15 PM

haa...

or may be pleasehelpware..

but you do know that great code gets written in the open source world...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 01:48 PM

Hard sell since I personally despise open source.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by moki
Technically, I think it still counts under RMS' definition of "free software", as long as it's still under the GPL or something. Remind me to research whoever thought it would be a good idea to give 'zero-cost' and 'liberated' the same word.

That said, I'm usually wary of projects like this one. How can I be truly sure that it's all going back to the author or authors?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

osxisfun
Jun 10, 2005, 02:32 PM

This is up and it seems to work:

https://www.fundable.org/groupactions/FCKeditor_iBook/

PS. i think your name "tux" services is going to limit you. I read it as linux only. (but of course open source is all platforms.) just sayinggg.

prakash  (op)
Jun 10, 2005, 04:00 PM

hat said, I'm usually wary of projects like this one. How can I be truly sure that it's all going back to the author or authors?

I agree that is why we are working on a transparent model where any one visiting the site can see how the donated money moves and who benefits.may be tie paypal data with xml /something like that..

i think your name "tux" services is going to limit you. I read it as linux only. (but of course open source is all platforms.) just sayinggg.

yes i do agree..but then how many are zealous about open source than the linux community,as their linux is open source based..but then darwin too is open source and me included many mac users use open source software...the site like the one you quoted is generalized for community donation..this is focussed only on open source..

Just think about this...millions use open source..if they contribute small amounts with out just focussing on their favorites..dont u think all open source software including your favorites will eventually benefit...

osxisfun
Jun 10, 2005, 04:06 PM

but for the most part they use it because its free. not because they can 'tweak' the code.

don't get too caught up in the religion of open source. if people start paying then some may think.. gee i'll just buy Quicken 2006 instead of Open Source Checkbook 2006, which i guarentee will be a piece of shite compared to the intuit version as most open software is to their commerical counterparts. (databases being the main expception.)

also you might want to google "linuxcare" 's history. i think they tried something like this and failed.

best of luck.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
but for the most part they use it because its free. not because they can 'tweak' the code.

don't get too caught up in the religion of open source. if people start paying then some may think.. gee i'll just buy Quicken 2006 instead of Open Source Checkbook 2006, which i guarentee will be a piece of shite compared to the intuit version as most open software is to their commerical counterparts. (databases being the main expception.)

also you might want to google "linuxcare" 's history. i think they tried something like this and failed.

best of luck.
You must have never used Quicken for mac, if you think it can be done any worse...
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

prakash  (op)
Jun 10, 2005, 04:42 PM

don't get too caught up in the religion of open source.
i think they tried something like this and failed.

ya..I totally agree with you..my only hope is the power of the community.I am not putting my entire paycheck towards this..

I am going to donate atleast $1 every month or $12 per year..and say if you guys want to join me please..if no one joins i will keep donating $12 every year and when people see a transparent system,they might pitch in..

I am looking for a LAMP stack web developer to helping me build the site..am taking it real easy..i just need your ideas and time..and when the site gets fully operational some money from you too...

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jun 10, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by prakash
2.re.moki

if everyone are donating how is it free..see that is the beauty..nobody forces to donate..and you can use it even if you dont donate..but i think it is a moral responsibility to donate small amounts...
That's fine -- but I want you to see that what you're essentially acknowledging is that the work these folks are doing is worth money, and that in order to keep these projects going, funding is needed. This is no different than someone actually having a job that pays them to do said work, or a product that people in return pay for.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

prakash  (op)
Jun 10, 2005, 05:36 PM

yes and the beauty the software doesnot get bloated to satisfy wallstreet and sell more copies..

there are cases where the project is forked to satisfy specific interests..

i personally am very happy that open source is helping me and the mac community as a whole..

but some cash flow..will actually will at the end of the day make the project team happy and motivate them even if their motivation to start the project in the first place may not be monetary...

did u downlod the nasa wildwind ..its cool...

prakash  (op)
Jun 10, 2005, 05:42 PM

i cheked your company ambrosia software..

umm..looks interesting..

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 11, 2005, 01:37 PM

I wish we had a "turn off ellipses" feature here sometimes.

Just think about this...millions use open source..if they contribute small amounts with out just focussing on their favorites..dont u think all open source software including your favorites will eventually benefit...
Am I getting this right? You're suggesting paying for the general support of open source developers. So your idea is to harness the power of "millions" and then promptly disperse it so that nobody can even see the difference?
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

prakash  (op)
Jun 11, 2005, 01:53 PM

yes my idea is that wont there be a bunch of people who will donate atleast $12 a year/like 1$ a month...

and if there is a way to show the users that the donated amount is given to a selcted open source project in a 'transparent way' so that people will know that the amount is eaten by me..

I looked at paypal yesterday...they said to get all their merchant tools...i need to be enrolled as a business and all other legalities...

if u have anysimpler ideas.../can help me please mail me at prakash123 at gmail

its easy for me to put a pay pal of $12 to my name,but then how will people trust and donate ,i would even twice before donating...so..if u can help me that would be great..

till then you will just see a placeholder at tuxservices.com

thanks

parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jun 11, 2005, 02:04 PM

If I want to donate to open source I'll donate to a specific project where I feel my contribution will be valued and where the software matters to me. I'm not going to support projects just because they're open source (I think that goes for many people).

And just a suggestion: if you want to get anywhere with people's money (forget time and whatnot), learn to write properly. People are much quicker to write your plan off as some poorly thought out whim when you can't communicate effectively. Capitalizing your sentences and ditching the ellipses is a good start.
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

prakash  (op)
Jun 11, 2005, 03:00 PM

Thanks for your suggestion and your feedback made sense.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2005, 04:53 PM

That's true, honestly if I supported open source apps it'd be Cyberduck and Adium... probably not php or MySQL though... or Apache... simply because while I use em a bit I don't use em much.

prakash  (op)
Jun 11, 2005, 05:42 PM

k..guys i dont think it is feasible..from my homework..

I have a server and a domain name i think i will retain...

Have you heard indian video songs..i have uploaded two files may be you will like them..they won national awards for the best art films..

http://www.tuxservices.com/masala/movies/assorted

let me know if its differernt and if u like them

Forum Links
Forum Rules