Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > help me choose a nice home theater receiver

help me choose a nice home theater receiver
macfantn
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 11:24 AM

i need at least 4 video inputs would prefer hdmi upconversion. at least 75 watts x 5
( Last edited by macfantn; Oct 21, 2007 at 11:47 AM. )
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 11:55 AM

i'd also like 3 hdmi if possible, 2 may work, wanna keep it under $500 if possible
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

macroy
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 02:34 PM

The three I am (or was I guess... its being put on hold) looking at are:

Onkyo TX-SR674, TX-SR805, and Yamaha RX-V1700.

The prices fall in different ranges. I could be wrong ... but 3 HDMI inputs will be hard to get for under 500. The SR674 is the cheapest of the three I listed.. you can find if for just shy of 500.. but you'll only get 2 HDMI inputs and 1 output.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2007, 10:08 PM

(I posted this in the other HDMI help-request thread as well)

Try this from Extron. Extron HDMI Switchers - SW HDMI Series

It is a 4 x 1 switcher that can do input equalization (essentially signal balancing, but not a true up-converter).
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
i'd also like 3 hdmi if possible, 2 may work, wanna keep it under $500 if possible
I'd be surprised if you found one. I've been looking and 3 HDMI with analogue video upconversion to HDMI for $500 doesn't seem to be out there.

If you do find one, please post the model number here, since I'm interested.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 12:27 AM

will this one upcovert all my video sources to one hdmi output? ps2, dvd, hd cable and xbox 360?

Amazon.com: Yamaha RX-V661BL 7.1-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver: Electronics

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 01:24 AM

The Sony STR-DG910 has 3 HDMI ports (1 out) and it's €499 so it's probably sub $500 in the US. It doesn't do DD+, Dolby truHD and dtsHD though. It also has 3 component inputs (1 output) and 5 S-video inputs (2 outs)

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Lava Lamp Freak
Oct 23, 2007, 01:36 AM

I'm happy with my Harmon Kardon AVR 247. It has two HDMI inputs but will output the component inputs as HDMI. Right now I have 4 devices hooked up with a single HDMI cable going to my plasma. One bonus with the HK receivers is Dolby Headphone Surround. If you have a situation where you need to use headphones occasionally, the Dolby Headphone Surround makes a huge difference. It has 1080p passthrough and 720p upconversion.

Amazon.com: Harman Kardon AVR 247 Home Theater Receiver with iPod Control and HDMI connectivity: Electronics

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 08:30 AM

I got the Sony STR-DG910 when it came out and I'm very pleased.

macfantn  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 08:48 AM

not big on sony or hk, i prefer onkyo yamaha or denon. can someone recommend a sub $500 one that will output all my video sources via one hdmi input to my tv.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
not big on sony or hk, i prefer onkyo yamaha or denon. can someone recommend a sub $500 one that will output all my video sources via one hdmi input to my tv.
Google is your friend.

It seems you have all the information you nee to do a search. You know what kind of product you want (HDMI-enabled receiver), what vendors you would consider buying it from (Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon), and how much you are willing to pay (< $500).

Start typing and see what you can come up with.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 09:20 AM

I love my Yamaha V1700 but it is more than $500. May be a bit cheaper now that they have the V1800 and V2800coming out. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a receiver having everything you require for under $500.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2007, 05:45 AM

i have two Yamaha's. one for the mac (this one) and one for the tv (a big one). I like my Yamaha's. They come with plenty of connections and are easy to set up. the thing that is crucial with homecinema is that all outputs are of equal strength. 5x120W is what i've got. +an active subwoofer. the frontspeakers are Bose 901's and they are capable of good sound at level 10 on the amp.

the downside with optical is that you cannot control volume settings from the mac. also, the startup chime sounds from the mac even though the audio-out is occupied.
( Last edited by PB2K; Oct 24, 2007 at 07:16 AM. )
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Forum Links
Forum Rules