Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cannot partition/format Internal Hitachi Ultrastar HD 1TB

Cannot partition/format Internal Hitachi Ultrastar HD 1TB
Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2008, 05:21 PM

Hello,

this is extremely frustrating. I am trying to install a new Hitachi hard-drive and no matter what I try, it won't work. When I open the disc utility, I can see that the system recognizes the new HD. When I want to partition it, it spits out a input/output error (I think it's error -50). This is a brand new HD, no files on it, volume repair etc. doesn't output any errors either.

If anyone has any tips, that would be great.

PS: I am running Leopard

Faust  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2008, 10:55 AM

Well, yesterday night, when shutting off the system and then booting it again, the new disc didn't show at all anymore in disk utility, nor in system profile. When I clicked on S-ATA in system profile it said something about an error occured.
I went to sleep, got up and now the new disc shows up. This is strange. It does seem like a defective drive though, doesn't it? I don't dare putting any data on it. Would you send it back and have it replaced?

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2008, 02:41 PM

I'd be worried if I have a drive like that. But it could also be a loose/faulty connector. Double check everything first and run them through Apple Hardware Diagnostics to cover the bases.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 02:46 PM

It sounds like you got a lemon.

We bought several 1TB disks from Hitachi at the lab. Unfortunately two arrived DOA and one died the second day it was put to use.

Faust  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2008, 03:16 PM

Thank you ginoledesma and Simon.

Yes, I think it is indeed a lemon. Just out of fun I tried adding a few files to the new drive and it won't let me. I am going to send it back.

Thanks for your replies.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2008, 07:16 PM

I just had the same problem with a FAT formatted Seagate prebuilt external; Disk Utility returned some negative error number trying to format it as HFS+.

Forum Links
Forum Rules