Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Disk (Volume) Space - Help Needed

Disk (Volume) Space - Help Needed
axelheyst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2010, 10:34 AM

Hello,
I have a fresh install of OSX 10.6.3 on a new MacbookPro 15". The HD is 500 GB. When I look in Disk Utility I see this:

Capacity: 499 GB
Available: 488 GB

however, when I look at a disk usage analyzer (like GrandPerspective) it shows:

Volume Size: 465 GB
Free: 455 GB

In addition, when I pull up Boot Camp Assistant, it's also showing:

Volume: 465 GB
Free: 455 GB

So ... where did the 35 GB of space go? It seems like both the Boot Camp Assistant and the GrandPerspective (disk usage analyzer) are only seeing my primary volume (internal HD) at 465 GB of capacity.

Thanks, in advance!

reader50
Administrator
May 7, 2010, 02:06 PM

You're seeing the drive size reported in straight decimal size (499/500) as the HD manufacturers do. Starting with Snow Leopard, Apple gave in and started using their sizing methods too. Where 1 KB = 1,000 bytes.

The other utilities use traditional binary based computer memory sizes, where 1 KB = 1,024 bytes = 2^10 bytes. For a more detailed discussion, see this post. Skip down to Question 2 in the post.

axelheyst  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
You're seeing the drive size reported in straight decimal size (499/500) as the HD manufacturers do. Starting with Snow Leopard, Apple gave in and started using their sizing methods too. Where 1 KB = 1,000 bytes.

The other utilities use traditional binary based computer memory sizes, where 1 KB = 1,024 bytes = 2^10 bytes. For a more detailed discussion, see this post. Skip down to Question 2 in the post.
Thank you very much!

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2010, 01:18 AM

Reader thanks for posting that that's awesome.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 10:14 AM

This question comes up now and then, and I think it should be part of every computer enthusiast's education, whether they're interested in the nuts and bolts or not. "Kilobytes" refers to two different quantities, depending on who uses the term. It is flatly unacceptable that different entities use the same technical term to reflect different things, but it's a fact of life. Please note that, while it's supposed to be an advertising gimmick to keep manufacturers out of trouble, the fine print in computer and hard drive ads almost always gives you a heads up: "X bytes refers to Y,000,000 bytes of storage on an unformatted drive" or some such text.

If you look at two different utility apps' indications of hard drive space or usage, and those numbers are "kinda close" as in the comparison above of DU and GrandPerspective, just expect that one reflects a decimal value and the other (smaller value) reflects a binary value. Also, many utilities report both the shorthand ("499 GB") and the longhand ("499,548,344 kilobytes"*), so if you have the longhand, compare that.

Finally, there was once a movement to standardize this sort of nonsense by INSISTING that computer and drive makers used "K" for decimal storage listings and 'k' for binary listings. Yes, case is important here (we frequently use case to differentiate between Bytes and bits...), and many manufacturers actually do use this notation. Just not everybody.

*those are numbers I pulled out of my ear; they are probably wildly off from what "499GB" would really equate to. It's too early on Saturday for me to bother with math.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2010, 04:03 PM

Well, 499,000/1024 =487,3046, which leaves 22G unaccounted for. Thanks to reader50's suggestion I found a ton of extra space on my HD, logging in as root and running Omnidiskweeper, a free utility that lists all your files in order of magnitude. OmniDiskSweeper - Products - The Omni Group

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2010, 12:54 PM

499,000,000,000 bytes / (1024^3 GiB/bytes) == 464.73 GiB, which rounds up to 465 GiB.

Unfortunately, the binary prefixes (KiB, MiB, GiB, etc.) are the only way to be absolutely clear about which units you're actually talking about, so that's what I'm electing to use these days.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2010, 08:05 PM

So "KiB" = 1024 bytes, "MiB" = 1024^2 bytes, "GiB" = 1024^3, and so on... I believe this notation works better than the "KB" vs "kB" notation that was going around a few years ago - and never got any traction.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules