Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Shooting Rampage at VT

Shooting Rampage at VT (Page 7)
wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 02:50 PM

Much Respect to Cipher.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 02:52 PM

Unless one of your points has a gun....

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 03:03 PM

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 03:04 PM

[zips up flame suit]

Imagine how steeply gun violence would drop if gun ownership were restricted to white, land owning protestants. no more of these depressed goth rejects or lonely immigrants shooting up schools, no more gang violence, etc

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 03:12 PM

whoa.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
[zips up flame suit]

Imagine how steeply gun violence would drop if gun ownership were restricted to white, land owning protestants. no more of these depressed goth rejects or lonely immigrants shooting up schools, no more gang violence, etc
(you forgot to add Black People™ to the list)
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by anonymac View Post
Had the university and the state respected the 2nd amendment right to bear arms, this tragedy probably would not have occurred.
Hahahaha! That's so stupid.
I can really imagine hundreds or thousands of armed kids, waiting for the other to draw first. Then some car motor misfires (etc) and some nervous gun carring kids run into each other: "You're the gunman!!" - "No YOU'RE the gunman" - "BLAM BLAM!"

Or imagine the clueless police arriving at the situation. "Seen anyone with a gun here?" - "There!" "There!" - "No, there the gook, and he has two!" - "BLAM BLAM BLAM!"

Of all non-solutions this is probably the worst. It has that sort of logic like "We'll show it the freedom hating terrrsts, by taking away our citizens' freedoms." Wait...

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 03:50 PM

Too much lager, there?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 03:52 PM

And now the plot thickens...Literally!

Thanks to Web 2.0.... Cho mass-murderer Seung-Hui's Plays on display for the world, Posthumanously published!
There is even a facebook connection, surreal.

Cho Seung-Hui's Plays - News Bloggers

---

Well I read two pages of one of the plays, is this for real? How did this guy get accepted to this university in the first place? Another point, he was clearly disturbed, what was the professor thinking? Ah, but hindsight being 20/20 and all that...
( Last edited by Nicko; Apr 17, 2007 at 04:02 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Of all non-solutions this is probably the worst. It has that sort of logic like "We'll show it the freedom hating terrrsts, by taking away our citizens' freedoms." Wait...
You mean taking away the rights of terrorists who have stripped themselves of the liberty that we indiscriminately handed to them...but that's another derailed thread for another time.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 04:52 PM

I read a few pages of Richard McBeef and it was very bizarre.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 04:57 PM

I'm having trouble getting past the name. Sounds like the name Homer Simpson would use to open a restaurant.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 05:02 PM

"Must kill Dick. Must kill Dick. Kill Dick... Richard McBeef. What kind of name is that? What an asshole name."

Sounds like these plays really disturbed his playwriting class.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Then why are people singling me out for an opinion shared by others? That's all I' saying. I don't need to discuss it, I'm just annoyed that if 10 people say the same thing, and I'm one of those 10, people will quote me and argue with me and attack me, and ignore the other 9 people.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Common sense says if you take away the guns, stuff like this won't happen, but statistics have shown that doesn't work.
Actually common sense doesn't say that. Common sense says there is no way to get rid of all the guns.

Being idealistic and unrealistic says that "taking away guns = no more of this happening"
Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
No, actually. SSA is mostly associated with those of African ancestry, but nowhere near exclusively.
Not that that has anything to do with my point...
I stand by my notion that you cannot experience grief over somebody you've never met nor had any connection to.
Well it happens every day.
If you disagree that's fine, because you could also validly argue that black is infact white.
But I wouldn't. Because that would be silly. Not so in this case.
I know that wasn't directed at me, but I'm going to comment anyway.

I mostly agree with you there. The problem is making it more difficult to obtain guns, however slightly, will reduce the number out there. If it's harder to get a gun, a criminal may simply say "**** it" and grab a baseball bat instead... or a knife, or whatever. This is mostly true in the case of crimes of passion, or anything in the heat of the moment.
These usually aren't crimes of passion. These are usually well thought out attacks. Not that being murdered by a bat is any better than doing so with a gun.
It won't stop somebody that has been pre-meditating a gun-borne attack for weeks or months, but it may just stop some kid who got dumped the night before from going postal at his school the next day.
Stop them from killing someone WITH A GUN maybe. Laws exist now that stop such sales.
Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
The fact that you don't actually have a damn clue what you're talking about. Well, nevermind, deny or ignore it as you will everybody else that's still reading the crap in here is well aware of your ignorance.
Come on Cipher, I was hoping you'd have outgrown this pretentious condescending bit by now.
( Last edited by Kevin; Apr 17, 2007 at 06:06 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 05:57 PM

As Cipher has already said, it is you weirdos who are the minority, and the abnormality. Normal, healthy people do not 'grieve' over complete strangers.
1. He didn't say that.
2. Baseless accusations Rob. They do. It happens daily. You are wrong.
( Last edited by Kevin; Apr 17, 2007 at 06:41 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:01 PM

I'd also like to point out that although Voodoo and Cipher also share my opinions, you only attacked ME, and ignored them. His Dudeness did the same thing. So did Kevin.
I didn't so any such thing Rob. And for YOU to complain about ANYONE attacking YOU is funny.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:03 PM

By nobody. YOU SAID that you were grieving over these people. You ATTACKED me for not 'grieving'. Now your limited vernacular (You drive an SUV too! haha) is starting to realize what 'grieving' actually means, and you're starting to change your tune, admitting that you aren't GRIEVING over these people.
Um rob, you attacked those that said they did grieve first. Again, your ability to see everyone's wrong doings but your own simply astounds me.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:04 PM

I'm not the one using the wrong definition of words
AKA definitions that aren't wrong. They just don't fit your narrow view of your argument.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 06:05 PM

careful kevin. you might be banned for saying something like that to robert; or implying something about robert

like i was

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:09 PM

And then I wouldn't get to read about how Rob is so much greater than everyone in here, and how we all need mental help because we aren't sociopaths.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:16 PM

If you hadn't noticed, he's also arguing with Cipher anyway. You should quit playing the victim.
Only because Cipher was arguing with him. Before the 'argument', it was clear what our positions were, and GETEHBALL chose ONLY MINE to argue with.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 06:18 PM

so your signature is able to argue with you now?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Hahahaha! That's so stupid.
I can really imagine hundreds or thousands of armed kids, waiting for the other to draw first. Then some car motor misfires (etc) and some nervous gun carring kids run into each other: "You're the gunman!!" - "No YOU'RE the gunman" - "BLAM BLAM!"

Or imagine the clueless police arriving at the situation. "Seen anyone with a gun here?" - "There!" "There!" - "No, there the gook, and he has two!" - "BLAM BLAM BLAM!"

PB.
Have you ever shot a firearm before? This a serious question.

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
I wasn't whining, I was stating the truth. Other moderators have agreed with me on this. I say something, I get attacked. Other people say the same thing, and people ignore them.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Actually common sense doesn't say that. Common sense says there is no way to get rid of all the guns.
I wasn't talking about common sense in the sense that it makes the most sense, but in the sense that it's the commonly held view. * sense

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 06:23 PM

think about that REAL long and hard. if the answer why doesn't come to you, try harder and longer, but don't let the nn distract you while you're thinking of why people attack you, and not the other guy or gal

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:24 PM

Being idealistic and unrealistic says that "taking away guns = no more of this happening"
Good Kevin. You have made a valid point.

Well it happens every day.
Only on Oprah.

But I wouldn't. Because that would be silly. Not so in this case.
I'm pretty sure you love silly things. You like saying silly, what you believe is rather silly, and you are generally a silly person.

Come on Cipher, I was hoping you'd have outgrown this pretentious condescending bit by now.
But you're... .. .. being... pretentious and condescending... when.... you say that... err... .. . Praise Jesus!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:26 PM

1. He didn't say that.
2. Baseless accusations Rob. They do. It happens daily. You are wrong.
1. Why are you arguing with your own quote?
2. Only on Oprah.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 06:27 PM

Time to stick it up in the Pol/War Lounge...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
think about that REAL long and hard. if the answer why doesn't come to you, try harder and longer
That's what she said.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 06:29 PM

if only on oprah, then why did bushy (damn he's stupid, but it's just a good example) go and mourn and speak at VT today? i don't remember seeing oprah anywhere on the VT campus

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:34 PM

Good Kevin. You have made a valid point.
Rob, you are in no position to be acting condescending to anyone here.
Only on Oprah.
This point added nothing to the conversation. Or your argument.
I'm pretty sure you love silly things. You like saying silly, what you believe is rather silly, and you are generally a silly person.
And here we have an ad-hominem.

Great.
I wasn't whining, I was stating the truth. Other moderators have agreed with me on this. I say something, I get attacked. Other people say the same thing, and people ignore them.
I am sure they agreed that this happens. I am betting you'd not agree with the mods as to WHY it happens however.

That is a direct result of the way you treat people in here Rob. You get that "special" treatment from people because of the way YOU act. You cut it out, and you'll no longer get this special "treatment"

(edit) oh I seen you've been banned again. I guess they agreed you are being out of line here.
( Last edited by Kevin; Apr 17, 2007 at 06:50 PM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:40 PM

I wasn't talking about common sense in the sense that it makes the most sense, but in the sense that it's the commonly held view. * sense
It's *A* commonly held view. I would agree there. Why? No clue. It's not one based on reality.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 06:41 PM

I think that if I was a student at VT, I'd be a little offended at politicians inviting themselves for a self serving photo-op opportunity to give a speech only semi-sincere and heartfelt at best, most likely...

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I think that if I was a student at VT, I'd be a little offended at politicians inviting themselves for a self serving photo-op opportunity to give a speech only semi-sincere and heartfelt at best, most likely...
Referring to anyone in general with that generalization?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
What would the criticism be like if they didn't give a speech about it at all?

Lose/Lose

finboy
Apr 17, 2007, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What would the criticism be like if they didn't give a speech about it at all?

Lose/Lose
Yeah, they've got a no win situation. I think, however, that erring on the side of "leadership in time of crisis" is OK.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2007, 07:27 PM

Cipher13, always a pleasure to read your posts

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2007, 07:28 PM

I agree with that, even with criticism bound to come. I'm surprised someone hasn't pegged the shooting on the administration.

Yet.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 07:30 PM

I agree with that, even with criticism bound to come. I'm surprised someone hasn't pegged the shooting on the administration.

Yet.
Someone did it earlier on the BBC "Have Your Say" site.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2007, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Someone did it earlier on the BBC "Have Your Say" site.
You've got to be kidding me. I knew they had already pegged it on Charlton Heston, but it's already getting ridiculous.

...and only the day after the shooting.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2007, 07:42 PM

Whoa, who took out the trash?

...and why this always happen when I'm not around?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 07:46 PM

You've got to be kidding me. I knew they had already pegged it on Charlton Heston, but it's already getting ridiculous.

...and only the day after the shooting.
Yeah, this morning (so, middle of the night for you guys) someone starting banging on about how it was Bush's fault for not renewing the assault weapons ban.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 08:07 PM

Are you surprised? Political zealots are like that.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 08:17 PM

Are you surprised? Political zealots are like that.
I'd be surprised if they hadn't.

Kevin
Baninated
Apr 17, 2007, 08:22 PM

BTW don't tell me you own a Bogner.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 08:43 PM

It's *A* commonly held view. I would agree there. Why? No clue. It's not one based on reality.
CNN.com - US - DOJ study links juvenile homicide rate to gun access laws - March 7, 2000

Easier access to firearms contributed to a huge rise in the number of U.S. homicides and suicides among juveniles from 1987 to 1993, according to a new Justice Department study released by the White House.
That's reality.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2007, 08:50 PM

BTW don't tell me you own a Bogner.
Gotta play me new planks through something.

Just the cab, just the cab. JCM800 -> Bogner 4x12

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2007, 08:53 PM

200 people per year shot and killed in the UK. 10,000 people per year shot and killed in the US. The statistics speak for themselves.

Stegabot
Apr 17, 2007, 09:00 PM

And most of the fatalities occur on urban areas such as Washington DC , Chicago and other urban areas with very strict gun control laws . That is the problem of using statistics , somebody always try to give a part of the stats to prove their point while ignoring the rest.
Computers are tools that we use and are the extension of our brains,not the other way around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules