Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > eMate users out there?

eMate users out there?
ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 07:03 AM

I just picked up one from eBay to replace my lost Messagepad 2100. I have no clue where that sucker ran off to. Anyone use these still?

MINT APPLE NEWTON EMATE LAPTOP c/w Adapter & Stylus - eBay (item 150243000979 end time May-03-08 03:58:06 PDT)

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2008, 07:57 AM

I used to own a Messagepad 120. Great concept at the time, but IMO there are far superior options on the market now. What about using an Eee PC instead? Wireless, webcam, a stable Linux distro, actual usability.

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 08:10 AM

Nah. I'm not liking that thing. Besides, I already have another laptop that I plan on using for Fedora 9 when it comes out.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
May 3, 2008, 12:21 PM

I had one for a while. I sold it off last year, but here are my thoughts:

-Being as old as they, they almost universally need work on the hinges. The grease on the hinges dries out and when the torque gets to be too much, the hinge end punctures the display cable. Make sure you're getting one that's fixed, or you're prepared to dive in. (or spend $35 on getting it fixed.)
-The Backlight tends to get pretty dim at this age.
-The keyboard is small, very small. I could never type comfortably on it.

I recommendation would be to spend the extra cash and just get another 2100. When I had one, it was great. Better still... I'd recommend you get an iPhone. But that's my preference.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ctt1wbw  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 03:27 PM

Well, as soon as TMobile gets the iPhone, I'm on it like white one rice. ATT can kiss my ass.

ibookuser2
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2008, 03:36 PM

I've got two eMates and a MP2100. They're all neat machines, but the MP2100 is the only one I use much anymore. The eMates are cool, but they're not really any more portable than my MBP, and trying to use the internet, even on the MP2100 which is much faster than the eMate, is pretty painful these days.

Definitely make sure that the hinges are in good condition/have been repaired. It's a lot easier to do the repair *before* the end of the hinge goes through the display ribbon cable instead of after it has a hole in it.

Also, if you're going to be using it much, you might want to rebuild the battery pack, or have someone do it for you. You can get 24+ hours of runtime with fresh cells in the battery.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 3, 2008, 04:00 PM

One of my friends gave me an eMate 300 last year, it's pretty neat. I like to just play around with it. Before I saw this thread I'd forgotten I had it.

freudling
Banned
May 3, 2008, 04:48 PM

Newton MP2100 all the way.

freudling
Banned
May 3, 2008, 04:48 PM

I bought a brand new one a few months ago. Came with everything. It was sealed sitting in a warehouse for years. I guess I got lucky, even has the keyboard and carry case.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 3, 2008, 04:52 PM

I still have a PDA catalog magazine from way back just because it has the eMate 300 on it. I used to fantasize about having one, but I didn't have any money back then (and my situation has improved just slightly since then!) But every time I looked at the price (back then or now) I recall one of the primary reasons it didn't make it in the market. Well that and Jobs cutting the entire Newton division off, but let's not delve into details here.

I really thought the eMate was headed in the right direction as far as a new class of PDA was concerned. And now we have these mini notebooks like the Eee PC gaining lots of popularity and momentum. I wish Apple would release an iPod Touch like device in the eMate's form factor with a keyboard, but unfortunately not all my wishes are granted by Apple.

Forum Links
Forum Rules