Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > (idea) Good Grey . Good Black

(idea) Good Grey . Good Black
atomic_x
Feb 1, 2005, 04:15 AM

View Full Size at Glowfoto

can anyone do that.. version like a good black. because i saw someone mention some black dock icons. imagine a whoole guiKIT Good Black�

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 1, 2005, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by atomic_x:
Isn't there a key combo that inverts a mac screen to get this result ?
Well, perhaps this is how you got the shot�

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 1, 2005, 07:06 AM

ctrl-option-command-8

orangep0ny
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 12:04 PM

who really cares how he did it, he wants to know if someone wants to make one like that.

plastiqueusa
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2005, 04:13 PM

It's funny, I was just thinking the other day how much I like Good Grey (I'm using it now on my desk system), and how nice it would be to have a black version for my laptop (I only use darkish themes on it to save battery life). It really is a clean, classic theme.

organ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 07:49 PM

People,

Martin here, the author of Good Grey.Nice to see that people still have an interest in Good Grey since I'm not that big on updates an promoting the theme. It's also interesting to read about peoples ideas on how to improve or alter the theme.

However, I'm really not to keen on dark themes. Not at all actually. I've tried most of them and even though they're really slick productions, I find it quite hard to actually use them on a daily basis.

So there you basicly have your answer. I won't make a black version of Good Grey and probably not even a darker one. There might be some slight changes and add-ons when it comes to the colors but that'll have to wait until Tiger is released.

As of now, I'm really satisfied with the way Good Grey looks and work. It's actually the only theme I use. (Might be a bit egoistic )

And... to all people that have emailed me about Good Grey: Thank you! You're my life support!

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2005, 08:56 PM

I love Good Grey... and I have to agree with organ (thanks for the theme btw!)... the dark themes, which are nice, just aren't useable under OSX.

rebtaz7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2005, 09:40 PM

I thank you for doing this. I have low vision and hate white backgrounds on my computer. One of the reasons I work on PC's is the ability to change colors in my apps. We have picked up the new Power Mac G5 and I am finding it very hard to find a good dark theme. I have not used yours yet but will search on getting it. If you can make more without the white backgrounds with black fonts I high five ya.

Thanks

Jaey
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2005, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by atomic_x:
<snip>

can anyone do that.. version like a good black. because i saw someone mention some black dock icons. imagine a whoole guiKIT Good Black�
Just the sheer contrast between the black and white there makes my eyes hurt.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 02:40 PM

Why not a Good Ice Blue?, dot mac site has some "snaps" on that livery and they look really nice.

ender2002
Senior User
Feb 2, 2005, 02:56 PM

Why not just wait for BBX Omega���
?

efuseakay
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 05:21 PM

Originally posted by rebtaz7:
I thank you for doing this. I have low vision and hate white backgrounds on my computer. One of the reasons I work on PC's is the ability to change colors in my apps. We have picked up the new Power Mac G5 and I am finding it very hard to find a good dark theme. I have not used yours yet but will search on getting it. If you can make more without the white backgrounds with black fonts I high five ya.

Thanks
Try System Preferences/Universal Access/Switch to White on Black

shish1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2005, 04:01 PM

Martin,

Thanks for your Good Grey theme. It's simply the best theme out there for those who look for minimalist themes with style.

Will you be updating it for Tiger, and if so, can you give an e.t.a? Thanks.

R

Originally Posted by organ
People,

Martin here, the author of Good Grey.Nice to see that people still have an interest in Good Grey since I'm not that big on updates an promoting the theme. It's also interesting to read about peoples ideas on how to improve or alter the theme.

However, I'm really not to keen on dark themes. Not at all actually. I've tried most of them and even though they're really slick productions, I find it quite hard to actually use them on a daily basis.

So there you basicly have your answer. I won't make a black version of Good Grey and probably not even a darker one. There might be some slight changes and add-ons when it comes to the colors but that'll have to wait until Tiger is released.

As of now, I'm really satisfied with the way Good Grey looks and work. It's actually the only theme I use. (Might be a bit egoistic )

And... to all people that have emailed me about Good Grey: Thank you! You're my life support!

Forum Links
Forum Rules