Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HDTVs as computer monitors....

HDTVs as computer monitors....
knifecarrier2
Baninated
Aug 22, 2012, 09:39 AM

Anybody doing this? Which one, why? I think as long as you get something 1080 it'd be cheap to get something pretty massive 37" or so?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2012, 01:24 PM

It sucks. The pixel density is too low, if you're going to be using it on a desk a few feet in front of your face.

A 1080p 37" screen has a pixel density of < 60 ppi.

I personally prefer something in the range of about 90-100 for a desktop.
The 21.5" iMac is 102, which is decent. The 27" iMac is 109, which is a bit high IMO, but OK for many people.

And not only is the pixel density too low, the spaces between pixels are totally obvious from that close on a 37" HDTV. It looks terrible.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Aug 22, 2012, 02:49 PM

Compared to what I have now... a 24" iMac with 1920 X 1200, I would think an HDTV around 32" with ~ the same pixel resolution would be pretty good. Either way I'm looking for something bigger, and it seems monitors larger than 24" cost a metric shit ton.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Aug 22, 2012, 02:55 PM

http://www.compsource.com/ttechnote.asp?part_no=VE278Q&vid=46&src=PW

Decent 27" Monitor, even has HDMI input for a PS3 if I want, and only $300.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2012, 05:41 PM

I know people who've tried this. Eug is right, it looks like crap.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2012, 06:02 PM

Now as a second monitor mounted on the wall further away...

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Aug 22, 2012, 08:23 PM

So what's an ideal size for a monitor then? 24" is great, but too small to watch a movie from a couch/play games.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2012, 09:13 PM

You're ultimately going to have to prioritize one over the other.

How far is your couch from where you want to put the monitor?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2012, 09:53 PM

I got this 27"er for my grandma, who is practically blind, and I was impressed. Great picture and lots of connections, even has PiP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

Edit: Oh hell, that's the same as the one you linked above. Seriously, though, it's a killer monitor for $300.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OreoCookie
Aug 24, 2012, 12:39 AM

Just don't. This will royally suck: the pixel density is very, very low, the working distance large and unnatural and TV screens are optimized for different things. I wouldn't want to edit my photos on one of them, for instance.

Do yourself a favor and get a real computer monitor, 22"-24" screens are not too expensive. Decent ones can be had for ~$500 (once you go IPS, you never go back, or so they say ).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 24, 2012, 01:24 AM

Dual displays? I have a 24" for normal computing and the second display is a 42" TV via HDMI. So easy, even the wife can use it.

badidea
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
Anybody doing this? Which one, why?
I do. I use it as the screen for my mac mini in the living room. I sit about 9 feet away on my couch with a wireless Apple keyboard and a touch pad.
Mostly only used as media centre PC. Reading text is a bit hard from that distance!

It's a Philips Econova
5169/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 24, 2012, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by badidea View Post
I do. I use it as the screen for my mac mini in the living room. I sit about 9 feet away on my couch with a wireless Apple keyboard and a touch pad.
Mostly only used as media centre PC. Reading text is a bit hard from that distance!
It's a Philips Econova
5169/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
Yep, if you're sitting 9 feet away, even better is a 720p TV, although they're getting increasingly hard to find.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 24, 2012, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yep, if you're sitting 9 feet away, even better is a 720p TV, although they're getting increasingly hard to find.
It's easy enough to have the Mini display at 720p. Or would the TV displaying in a non-native resolution be less than optimal?

I had this setup for about a year and a half (Mini to HDTV, browse from couch) but Wife preferred that computer and TV be separate, and who am I to say no to buying more computer stuff?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2012, 12:30 AM

So what's an ideal size for a monitor then? (…)
To me, this. Pity they don't make it anymore.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 25, 2012, 11:49 AM

Yeah, the 30" Cinema was a truly epic beast, we have one and it's as beautiful today as it was when we bought it. Sometimes they pop up on fleabay for ~$500-600, that would be a great option.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2012, 06:19 AM

this was a possibility that was tried years ago and never did quite catch on. of course tv's are better now but i am glad that the idea just doesn't appeal to me and i'm not tempted to try it.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Aug 30, 2012, 03:16 PM

Well, I dove in. For the price, I couldn't resist.

39" 1080p Westinghouse. Great picture, terrible sound (doesn't matter I have speakers). $200, new, in box, with warranty.

Should be a pretty epic monitor... if it drives me nuts, I'll just sell it.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 12:31 AM

Epic? Unlikely. Adequate? That's possible.
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2012, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's easy enough to have the Mini display at 720p. Or would the TV displaying in a non-native resolution be less than optimal?
Text in a 1280x720 screen resolution looks bad when scaled up on a 1080p screen. Video looks fine though.

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Aug 31, 2012, 09:28 AM

huh?

AimeBlockless
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post

This is the perfect size

knifecarrier2  (op)
Baninated
Oct 29, 2012, 07:31 AM

K. I did well. Finally switched over. OMFG. It's awesome. Text looks great. Screen is epic huge. 3d Modeling is fun and bigger than life. LOVE IT.

WizOSX
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2012, 03:35 PM

It can be done but to do it well is very expensive.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and sitting in a fixed position was causing me lots of problems a few years ago. So I bought a Samsung 46" monitor--the 460cx. It isn't really a TV but more a commercial display/monitor. But the crucial thing is that it has excellent DVI so fine text is just as clear as on any monitor I've ever used or seen. I sit about 4-5 feet from it using a movable computer desk and ergonomic chair and the ability to constantly change my body position and the distance from it makes life and work bearable. But it costs about $1400-1500. Here are the specs:
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/lh/46/dl/lh46dlplgaza/400_460CX2_DSHT.pdf

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2012, 06:22 AM

K. I did well. Finally switched over. OMFG. It's awesome. Text looks great. Screen is epic huge. 3d Modeling is fun and bigger than life. LOVE IT.
how about pics of the setup?

Forum Links
Forum Rules