Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Convince me to change Hard Drive Myself

Convince me to change Hard Drive Myself
webb3201
Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 01:56 PM

Ok, The only thing that is limiting my enjoyment of my Powerbook G4 12" (rev a), is that my 40 gb hard drive is a bit cramped. I am looking at adding a 60 gb drive, but I am extrememly nervous about opening the machine.

I have added numerous hard drives on Pismos, Titanium Books, old style iMacs, and others, but I still feel a bit nervous about opening this baby.

I have a few manuals and online guides, but I need someone to convince me to jump. How will this compare to the other machines I have opened?

Thanks, Kevin
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 02:10 PM

Me,
I would just by a firewire drive, especially if the puppy is in warranty - that's just me as I'm a bit conservative when it comes to opening up my computer. The old adage if ain't broke don't fix it.

Mike
~Mike

jewing80
Mar 24, 2004, 02:29 PM

It�s been a few months since I installed a 7K60 in a 12� 1Ghz, but this is what I remember.

The removal of the screws in the battery compartment, and ram bay were pretty simple. Popping off the keys on the keyboard (I forget which ones in particular) was also easy. I used an Exacto knife to remove the screw covers under the keys and the two screws underneath came out without a problem.

The next step involves removing a bunch of screws from all over the place. My advice is just remember where each one goes and you should be fine. I made a diagram on a sheet of paper and set each screw on its diagrammed hole. Most of these screws were of different lengths so it�s important to ensure they make it back into the proper holes.

Keyboard removal was a bit messy, as the foil tape that covered the connectors was a pain to take off. Other than that everything up until this point wasn�t too tough.

The most difficult part is getting the case apart. I used various pieces of plastic and soft tools to work my way around the case. From what I remember there was a thin layer of plastic between the two pieces of the case. I spent over an hour delicately working my way around as to not damage this piece. By leveraging on this rim you would definitely mar the plastic. With a little effort and time the case finally came apart. Swapping drives was simple.

Putting the case back together was almost the exact inverse of taking it apart. Again the only tough part was getting the case back together properly. It took a lot less time but still required roughly the same technique. Unfortunately it doesn�t just snap back together.

With the experience you have noted I don�t think it would pose too much of a problem. I�m considering swapping out the hard drive on my �new� refurbished Powerbook which should arrive today.

If you have any other question please let me know�

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2004, 06:42 PM

That doesn't sound like the easiest of things to do.

I second the suggestion to buy an external Firewire drive.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by webb3201:
Ok, The only thing that is limiting my enjoyment of my Powerbook G4 12" (rev a), is that my 40 gb hard drive is a bit cramped. I am looking at adding a 60 gb drive, but I am extrememly nervous about opening the machine.

I have added numerous hard drives on Pismos, Titanium Books, old style iMacs, and others, but I still feel a bit nervous about opening this baby.

I have a few manuals and online guides, but I need someone to convince me to jump. How will this compare to the other machines I have opened?

Thanks, Kevin
you might want to take a look on this page before making any decision.

http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/PowerBook/index.html

I also want to open up my powerbook to look at what's inside because i have issue on my powerbook speaker or sound system. It continues to have noise coming out from the speaker and sometimes it even loses audio. Apple service providers refused to look at it because i couldn't reproduce the problem at the spot.

But after seeing the instruction, i thought it is not an easy task.

webb3201  (op)
Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 08:44 PM

i am going to go for it....it looks pretty straight forward. Between a few of the sites I think i have all under control.

I have a firewire external in hand, I just need more space in the laptop itself.

thank, k
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Tomster
Senior User
Mar 24, 2004, 08:45 PM

No need to convince you to do this. It is a decision you alone will have to make because if anything goes wrong, you alone are stuck with the consequences. Compared to all of the machines you have disassembled, this will be the most complex. If you feel comfortable with this, then go for it. As for an external drive, that defeats the whole portability issue. Good luck.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Person Man
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by webb3201:

Thanks, Kevin
If the powerbook is still in warranty, DON'T DO IT. In the Aluminum PowerBooks, the hard drive is not considered a "user-installable part" and WILL VOID THE WARRANTY IF YOU DO IT YOURSELF.

If the PowerBook is no longer in warranty, then by all means, have at it, and be careful doing it!

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2004, 10:59 PM

Get an Apple service technician to do it (if possible). Yes you will probably have to pay a small charge, but that is better than voiding the warranty.

Forum Links
Forum Rules