Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Hello and I've got an airTunes head scratcher

Hello and I've got an airTunes head scratcher
Freakout Jackson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2007, 07:39 PM

Hi all.
1st tech post here:

Living room - Old G3 hooked up to stereo via mini stereo --> RCA
Family room - Airport express hooked up to stereo via mini stereo --> RCA

The latency makes multiple speakers unlistenable. I'm told the only way around this is another airport express.
There's no way to delay the sound coming out through the headphone port on the G3?
Surely there's a music crazed geek on a budget here that's figured this out.

ctj
Jul 31, 2007, 11:30 PM

I'm not quite sure about your setup, but it sounds like mine, and it works fine.

I'm assuming your G3 has the iTunes running (and you've got the latest version, right?), and that your Airport Express also has the latest firmware.

When you select "multiple speakers" in the pop-up menu at the bottom (and both "Computer" and your APX are check-marked), the sound should be coming out simultaneously and in sync.

I've got this same kind of setup in my house, and I can tell you that it works as advertised. I know there were issues a long time ago (years), but they were fixed with updated software/firmware.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2007, 09:48 AM

ditto what CTJ said. I have a decent set of speakers in my office, but at times my wife just wants background noise. My APX is in the living room, and my itunes is set to always do multiple speakers. So, if my wife wants to hear background music, she just turns on the receiver.

Ever since the 6.2 firmware update, I haven't had any problems with multiple speakers.

Here is the link to the latest firmware for APX using OSX: Apple - Support - Downloads - AirPort Express Firmware Update 6.3 for Mac OS X
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 10:09 AM

Yep, it works as advertised here. Selecting "Multiple Speakers" syncs up the audio. It could possibly the speed of your G3 along with the speed of your Airport card. I don't know of any way (even with Audio Midi Setup) to set a delay on your iMac.

Just make sure nothing else is trying to access the Airport card, and have iTunes be the only program running.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2007, 10:24 AM

Have you tried AirFoil?

It used to be the only way to do multiple streams to multiple APX before Apple added the functionality itself. I think (key word, Think) it also allowed for setting up a delay.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 10:27 AM

Freakout Jackson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2007, 12:08 PM

Thanks all.
I read this thread again late last night and went ahead and updated the firmware on the APX.
Couldn't test it at 2am but I'll rock out after work and see if it fixed it.

Freakout Jackson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2007, 12:06 PM

the signal coming out of the APX still lags behind.
I tried my laptop too and same deal. The G3's connected to the network via ethernet and the laptop wirelessly and there was not much (if any) difference.

:|

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2007, 12:39 PM

Weird. Here's a long shot, but could you try hooking the APX up to a different stereo? Maybe it's not the network at all.

Freakout Jackson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2007, 02:50 PM

Could it be that I'm using a 2nd aebs to extend the range?

ctj
Aug 3, 2007, 07:20 PM

In my setup, I have two APXs set in WDS mode, and as I said, my system worked fine (after both were upgraded w/the latest firmware). Silly question, but you did update the firmware on both of your Expresses, right?

Freakout Jackson  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
Weird. Here's a long shot, but could you try hooking the APX up to a different stereo? Maybe it's not the network at all.
That's the only thing I haven't tried yet. Everything's up to date and the latency is still painful. (I'm guessing 1/4 - 1/2 sec) I can't imagine it's the stereo but I'll try some puter speakers later.
Thanks for the help guys.

tavin64
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2007, 10:32 AM

I had the same problem a month ago when I bought my airport express for my new HT system. I found out it was that the APX hated my netgear router. The way I have it hooked up is I have a PC in the office that holds all the music and the receiver is in the living room. I switched to an older Linksys WRT54G router I had laying around and the problem went away completely. Now there is only a millisecond lag when connecting to the speakers whereas the netgear would hang there trying to connect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules