Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 1ghzPB vs 867PM

1ghzPB vs 867PM
gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2003, 08:10 AM

How does a 15" 1ghz powerbook compare to an 867mhz or 1ghz powermac? Also how is the performance of a 1ghz powerbook with an external 21" monitor?

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by gururafiki:
How does a 15" 1ghz powerbook compare to an 867mhz or 1ghz powermac? Also how is the performance of a 1ghz powerbook with an external 21" monitor?
I have a 1GHz Ti and my friend has an 867MHz Ti. The performance difference is small but noticeable. The biggest difference is the VRAM. I am driving my 17" LCD display with my 1GHz Ti and the video looks great and performs well. I am sure the 867MHz Ti would be able to drive an external monitor with no problems.

I can tell you that the fans on the 1GHz Ti run about 30% more often than those on the 867MHz. Also, the 1GHz battery does not last nearly as long.

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2003, 12:09 PM

1Ghz gets exactly 13.3% hotter then the 867Mhz model. Just kidding, but both do get pretty hot after several hours of use ... the fans don't bother me that much ... battery life is OK with 3 hours on 1Ghz model ...

Further 64Mb VRAM on the 1Ghz model would probably be better for using for driving an external monitor w/ an even higher resolution then TiBook native ...

Both are excellent machine IMHO ... I have the 1Ghz SD model and so far have been infinatelly happy with it. The heat does bother me, but then I'm comparing it to my late iBook (R.I.P.) ...

I really noticed it yesterday after running the Ti from 8am till 11pm w/o a break ... even the HD didn't spin down on me It did fine, but at the end of the day I could feel the heat by touching the bottom of the table under the place where my TiBook rested.

I really need to find some solution to increase air-circulation under it to help the cooling during long sessions ... sudgestions?
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

skyman
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by nsxpower:
I really need to find some solution to increase air-circulation under it to help the cooling during long sessions ... sudgestions?
This is what I bought and works great:

http://www.roadtools.com/

aehaas
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2003, 01:22 PM

I use a 10 to 12 inch piece of wood and put the back end of my PBooks on it. It tilts the keyboard up some and gives the needed air underneith.

Any molding say about 1/2 by 1/2 or 3/4 will do fine.

aehaas

Karim
Senior User
Mar 3, 2003, 01:38 PM

The guy was asking for a comparison between the Titanium Powerbook and a POWERMAC.

I have seen benchmarks that show a similarity in performance between the TiPB 800 and a 867 mhz Powermac.

So perhaps the 1ghz Ti (which I have) is similar to at least a 1ghz Powermac.

I haven't used a Powermac G4 since the 450mhz days and have used Ti Powerbooks ever since because I do believe in them as capable desktop replacments..

bamchum
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 02:35 PM

I have both a 1Ghz PowerBook and an 867Mhz PowerMac (Quicksilver, 2001 model). I find that they are pretty comparable in speed. The PB has a better video card (64MB VRAM vs. 32 on the PM) which does result in noticeably faster frame rates in screensavers and the like and, one presumes, general graphic performance. But the PM has (now) 2 7200RPM drives. I can't say that I notice much difference in overall snappiness. To the extent that I do, the 1Ghz PB is the faster machine for all but the most disk-intensive work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules