Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 23)
Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
There's no lag. I don't have lag. Gamestop didn't have lag. No one is getting lag. Starman even figured out why he was getting lag. Stop with the lag.

Let's see here. I played Excite Truck. There is no lag. I own several games that use this control scheme. There is no lag.
I'll listen to your complaints after you've actually played Excite Truck.
Really? I had the opposite experience. It wasn't as much laggy as you need to turn more than you think. As much as you would in a real car. But I got used to it.
And the grand finale!

Edit: I don't own Excite Truck but none of my other games have any lag.
So couple questions.

1) Your impressions of the game from playing it in the store (I assume) for what.... 20 minutes that you can conclusively say there is no lag when the people who played it for hours and other members here who OWN it say they see lag.

2) What other games with "similar control methods" do you own? The only two driving ones I know of Excite Truck and GT are both reviewed to have lag.

3) I still can't get over the nerve of your "go play it and then talk as there is no lag" followed by "I don't own excite truck". Hilarious.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

ambush
Banned
Nov 20, 2006, 06:41 PM

Where are the objective reviews?

I want COMPARISONS, I want CHARTS, I want solid proof.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 20, 2006, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
So couple questions.

1) Your impressions of the game from playing it in the store (I assume) for what.... 20 minutes that you can conclusively say there is no lag when the people who played it for hours and other members here who OWN it say they see lag.
I own one.

2) What other games with "similar control methods" do you own? The only two driving ones I know of Excite Truck and GT are both reviewed to have lag.
Monkey Ball has racing mini games. No lag.

3) I still can't get over the nerve of your "go play it and then talk as there is no lag" followed by "I don't own excite truck". Hilarious.
Difference is I've played Excite Truck.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Are there any screenshots that compare the 3 systems' graphics with the same game?
I did a very quick comparison of the graphics in Call of Duty 3 on the Xbox 360 and the Wii just now on my blog. It doesn't make the Wii look very good, I'm afraid.

http://icruise.wordpress.com/2006/11...i-vs-xbox-360/

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 07:31 PM

icruise, are they screenshots or photos of a TV? If they are screenshots, how is that done?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006, 07:35 PM

You'll have to ask Gamespot that, but I would assume that they have a video capture device of some kind that they use (I'm sure it's not just photos of a TV though). It's possible that some of the Xbox 360 shots are from cinematics and not in-game play (the lack of the on-screen compass makes me wonder), but frankly I don't think it would make a big difference since I think COD3 renders cinematics with the game engine. I haven't played either version myself (although I have played COD2 on the Xbox 360), so I can't really say with any confidence that these accurately represent the graphics of the two systems.
( Last edited by icruise; Nov 20, 2006 at 07:41 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ambush View Post
Where are the objective reviews?

I want COMPARISONS, I want CHARTS, I want solid proof.
Exactly !!!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Call of Duty 3 screenshot comparison Wii vs. Xbox 360 � Denki News

Here are screenshots from similar places in the Call of Duty 3 on both the Xbox 360 and the Wii (thanks, Gamespot). I didn’t include the PS3 since it should be about identical to the Xbox 360.
Shouldn't the PS3 have even better graphics? On paper it's much more powerful than the XBOX 360. It would be nice to have them all 3 compared.

I think the Wii does fairly well in the screenshots you posted. After I saw the GT Pro screenshots I thought it is complete crap.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2006, 08:39 PM

Shouldn't the PS3 have even better graphics? On paper it's much more powerful than the XBOX 360. It would be nice to have them all 3 compared.
Theoretically, but since the system's been out for 4 days, developers really haven't tapped it yet.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2006, 08:51 PM

I dunno, I've been reading the opposite from game developers. They say the 360's GPU is more powerful than that of the PS3, and the 360 has way more video RAM allowing a higher res/more variety in the textures.

CPU wise, the PS3 may have more power in the 2nd and 3rd gen games when they figure out what to do with the extra cores.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 08:52 PM

I did a very quick comparison of the graphics in Call of Duty 3 on the Xbox 360 and the Wii just now on my blog. It doesn't make the Wii look very good, I'm afraid.

http://icruise.wordpress.com/2006/11...i-vs-xbox-360/
Holy crap it is goldeneye flashback!

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2006, 08:54 PM

that Wii tank is bad. damn...real bad.

Calimus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2006, 09:02 PM

Holy crap it is goldeneye flashback!
While the 360 graphics are obviously far and above the Wii version, you can't honesty say the Wii COD3 graphics look anything even remotely close to goldeneye on the n64. Look at the screen shots on IGN. There are more Poly's in the Wii soldiers face than a whole character model in Goldeneye.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
that Wii tank is bad. damn...real bad.
It is more fun that way. That is why it is getting worse reviews than other systems.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Calimus View Post
I dunno, I've been reading the opposite from game developers. They say the 360's GPU is more powerful than that of the PS3, and the 360 has way more video RAM allowing a higher res/more variety in the textures.
According to Wikipedia the Playstation's GPU does 50% more shader operations per second than the XBox' and they both have 512 MB of memory.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 09:11 PM

The PS3 will look better than the 360 eventually. You can't put second gen games like Gears of War against First gen (rushed) games on the PS3.

Look at the launch titles for 360 like Perfect Dark and put it against launch titles from the PS3 like resistance. The PS3 looks better at something like gen 1.5 compared to 360 at the same time.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006, 09:34 PM

Well, feel free to go to gamespot.com and look for yourself (that's all I did). But all of the cross-platform game reviews I've read so far have basically said that the PS3 versions look pretty much identical to the Xbox 360 versions. I think there are two possible reasons (assuming you accept the premise that the PS3 actually is more powerful than the Xbox 360).

One is that developers haven't learned how to use the hardware well yet. Gamespot complained about the frame rate on the PS3 and in fact docked their review of the PS3 version .6 points in comparison with the Xbox 360 version for mostly this reason. I think this is almost entirely due to the developers' inexperience with the system.

The other reason that the PS3 version doesn't look better may be simply that the developers wanted to use more or less the same assets with both the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game (I think it's telling that COD3 maxes out at 720p on the PS3). They didn't want to spend a lot of extra time tweaking the graphics just for the PS3, especially when they were working on a brand new system they were inexperienced with as well as being under pressure to get it done by launch day.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 09:39 PM

Well, feel free to go to gamespot.com and look for yourself (that's all I did). But all of the cross-platform game reviews I've read so far have basically said that the PS3 versions look pretty much identical to the Xbox 360 versions. I think there are two possible reasons (assuming you accept the premise that the PS3 actually is more powerful than the Xbox 360).
It is because many of them are 360 ports.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 20, 2006, 09:46 PM

That's essentially what I said in my second reason above.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2006, 10:27 PM

That's essentially what I said in my second reason above.
I know I just summed it up.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 12:16 AM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2006, 12:24 AM

The sensor bar does not sense anything. It is a row of several LEDs that constantly emit IR, which the remote uses to detect its position in space. You can see them if you use an infra-red camera.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/the...ing-215936.php

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 01:55 AM

So is the Wii only available in white? I thought there was a black version. I'm going to hold off on the Wii until Nintendo releases an NES color scheme or a 3rd party skin is available. Whatever comes first.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
So is the Wii only available in white? I thought there was a black version. I'm going to hold off on the Wii until Nintendo releases an NES color scheme or a 3rd party skin is available. Whatever comes first.
]
You'd wait 6-8 months for that?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 03:26 AM

Sure, why not. That's the same amount of time I've waited for a decent PSP title to be released.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 03:43 AM

The sensor bar does not sense anything. It is a row of several LEDs that constantly emit IR, which the remote uses to detect its position in space. You can see them if you use an infra-red camera.

The Wii Sensor Bar Sensing - Kotaku
Though not as well, my Canon see infra-red too and I thought I'd post a better picture up. This is how it looks when the Wii is on (it shuts off the sensor bar on standby):

For a bigger image click here.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 09:30 AM

That's what I've been saying for several pages now. Despite the name, the sensor bar is actually an emitter, not a sensor. The actual sensor is in the Wiimote.

The sensor bar only communicates with the Wii to turn itself on and off. Other than that, the only reason for the cable is to provide power. You could power the thing on batteries, except that it needs to power itself on and off at the same time as the Wii. At least one company is working on a wireless sensor bar.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
The "black Wii" was an early casing for the Revolution. At the time, they said that it wasn't the final casing, though in the end it looks like all they did was change the color of the plastics. Even the blue LED is the same.

Nintendo will probably release a black Wii at some point in the future. They'll also probably release a pink one, if only because that's about the only way they could get more Freudian with the thing. I mean, come on; I walked into the store's Wii section to find that Nintendo is marketing a pouch to put your Wii in: it's a frickin Wii-sack.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 10:17 AM

Despite the fact I"m supposed to be able to pick up a Wii tomorrow, I went around my area casually looking for a Wii and a PS3, not expecting to get either one, but to get a sense of when new shipments were coming in. My local Wal*Mart had none, so I asked the clerk who said "We won't be getting any more until February".

HUH?

I asked if she meant the PS3 since other stores are getting more Wiis this week and she said "No, the Wii".

\/\/

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 AM

Yeah, well, clerk information tends to be hit or miss. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 10:22 AM

You'd wait 6-8 months for that?
I doubt many people would, which is why it would be nuts to release the Wiis in different colors just so people will sell their old Wii to buy a new one. The market doesn't work that way, and Nintendo realizes that.

Truth be told, I don't know the exact result Nintendo hopes to accomplish by releasing stuff in different colors, and I don't know if Nintendo knows exactly how it works either. But for some reason, it works. Steve Jobs showed us that with the gumdrop iMacs. People weren't selling their old iMacs to buy new ones -no more than typically upgrade their computers, anyway- yet sales did go up.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Yeah, well, clerk information tends to be hit or miss. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
I'm not, but man, I'd love to walk in there tomorrow and see a stack of Wiis and say something to her.

"Wow, is it February already?"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:25 AM

It probably generates buzz... including positive buzz from jealous owners.

Edit: That was aimed at Millennium

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
I'd love to walk in there tomorrow and see a stack of Wiis
I'm sorry guys, but I don't think this Wii joke will die for me this week. I'm seeing it everywhere.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 10:28 AM

I see how it is /humph

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 10:29 AM

I'm sorry guys, but I don't think this Wii joke will die for me this week. I'm seeing it everywhere.
Is it getting Wiidiculous?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:29 AM

Oh, I like that one.

forkies
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:33 AM

hey, i've got a question about the system & some of the games. i am in japan, so i want the ability to play japanese games in the future (of course), but i'll probably get a wii for christmas. can you guys check the games you bought, do they have a region code written on them at all? is it possible to find out the region codes buy looking at packaging? i read that most likely 1st party games will be region-free, but i want to make sure before i request the system as a gift!

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:34 AM

From what I heard a while ago, they will be region encoded.

(And I heard you like Wiis)

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 10:37 AM

Are you accusing me of Wii-envy?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:38 AM

The possibilities are endless.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
The "black Wii" was an early casing for the Revolution. At the time, they said that it wasn't the final casing, though in the end it looks like all they did was change the color of the plastics. Even the blue LED is the same.
Apparently it did get a bit thicker also.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 10:42 AM

Apparently it did get a bit thicker also.
/blink

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:43 AM

I don't wanna know how he noticed

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:49 AM

!!!

Gamoe  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 10:51 AM

Does anyone want my (barely) used copies of Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Red Steel? $80 shipped...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales View Post
Does anyone want my (barely) used copies of Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Red Steel? $80 shipped...
That bad ?

GameTrailers has a nice set of videos on all the different Zelda games. A "Retrospect". Very nice stuff.....of course, i didnt understand any of it, since ive played 1.5 Zelda games in total.

As far as Red Steel....Famitsu gave it a 34/40. apparently theyre a good magazine, so now im more confused about this game than ever. i guess ill have to try before i buy.

Also, i just realized something. Excite Truck is the only launch game from Nintendo developed specifically for the Wii.

Cheers
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 21, 2006 at 11:24 AM. )

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 11:21 AM

got mine from the toys r us party in times sqaure...waited 8 hours in line. crazy

but madden is awesome. haven't even cracked open zelda yet. too much madden and wii boxing

an EA fight night on this thing would be incredible
blah

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
The sensor bar only communicates with the Wii to turn itself on and off. Other than that, the only reason for the cable is to provide power. .

Uhh, isn't the cable used to tell the Wii the position of the Wiimote or does the Wiimote communicate that back?

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 11:41 AM

Do you think the TRU in Times Square would still have any?

Forum Links
Forum Rules