Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Safari users get free mp3 songs

Safari users get free mp3 songs
Super Mario
Aug 26, 2007, 05:50 PM

( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:47 PM. )

mduell
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 06:18 PM

Couldn't you also get them with netstat and wget?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 26, 2007, 06:35 PM

So, we are discussing pirating music? Lame.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 06:37 PM

This is news?

As in, how long have we been able to do this via the Activity Viewer?

As in, how long ago did I STOP bothering because all the crap on MySpace is at 96 kbps anyway?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
As in, how long ago did I STOP bothering because all the crap on MySpace is at 96 kbps anyway?
I've already been questioning all of the music I've bought via iTunes. I've been on a CD-buying binge to try to offset the crappy quality of all the music on my iPod.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 26, 2007, 07:02 PM

Cue arguments about humans not hearing quality differences on anything better than 128 MP3s:

I am on your side Jawbone54. 128 kbps annoys me. I encode at a minimum of 192 kbps. Even then, the drums/snares sound too "warbly/muddy"

Super Mario  (op)
Aug 26, 2007, 07:23 PM

I'm going to rip my vinyls at 2 mb/s
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:47 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Cue arguments about humans not hearing quality differences on anything better than 128 MP3s:

I am on your side Jawbone54. 128 kbps annoys me. I encode at a minimum of 192 kbps. Even then, the drums/snares sound too "warbly/muddy"
What kind of headphones do you use?

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
What kind of headphones do you use?
Some Shure in-ear models I got from headphone.com. But even on my car speakers or on my home stereo with Paradigm speakers I still get annoyed at anything less than 192 kbps.

ballison
Aug 27, 2007, 03:49 PM

anyone who thinks that 128kbps sounds like the cd just doesnt listen...it doesnt matter which headphones or speakers you use its still a noticeable difference. if you can, compare a raw cd file, and then encode it as 128 kbps mp3. compare them back to back with quicktime and listen to the high end...its really quite noticeable once you know what to listen for

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2007, 04:10 PM

I kind of forgot the difference until the past few weeks. I read somewhere about how much data is lost in the conversion to MPC or AAC, and so I went out and bought some CDs. I'm not an audiophile, but I could still tell a noticeable difference.

Plus I've been getting nostalgic for the days where people had massive CD collections and preferred listening to an entire CD (or at least part of it) instead of going through 10 artists in 10 songs.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 27, 2007, 04:17 PM

Plus I've been getting nostalgic for the days where people had massive CD collections and preferred listening to an entire CD (or at least part of it) instead of going through 10 artists in 10 songs.
I have felt the same way lately as well. I am just not a shuffle kind of person. Some songs I can't listen to without listening to the whole album, such as most Pink Floyd albums.

I hope, with the consumers ability to buy songs individually, that artists don't drop this "feature". And It's a shame some artists don't seem to really think out their song order.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2007, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
And It's a shame some artists don't seem to really think out their song order.
Most of the time it's not up to the artiste - it's up to someone else in the chain. And we're mostly too busy posting on Internet forums to be bothered what the song order is.

OK, OK, OK </Leo Getz>, here's a word to describe what's missing when one encodes that MP3 at too low a bit rate: Air.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Super Mario  (op)
Aug 27, 2007, 05:56 PM

Buy Sam's Town by The Killers. First time in long time I enjoyed a whole album by a single artist/band. Quality.
( Last edited by Super Mario; Jan 10, 2018 at 02:49 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules