Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Knight Rider: KITT is a Mustang!

Knight Rider: KITT is a Mustang!
ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 02:46 PM

Link

I liked Knight Rider on the TV, and I've been looking forward to seeing what the new Knight Rider film is going to be like. News has been coming out recently about it being Michael Knights son driving the car etc. and now they are saying that KITT is going to be a Mustang. Hollywood is screwing up our childhoods again, KITT was a Trans Am and that was the 'right' car for it. KITT is supposed to be a futuristic intelligent robo car, so why are they basing it on a retromobile Mustang?

This is my main beef, but at the same time I can see their 'casting' problem... what car WOULD be right as KITT? Pontiac don't make a Trans Am anymore, at the time of the original Knight Rider, the Trans Am was a futuristic looking car, and made KITT a bit more believable as some kind of prototype robot car. What would match up to this for the present day? Definitely not a Mustang, but I can't think of anything else. Does KITT even have to be an American car?

Yes

No

Possibly

Maybe
( Last edited by ajprice; Nov 30, 2007 at 02:57 PM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2007, 02:50 PM

How about the new Challenger, or an Aston Martin DB-9? Much better than a Mustang. Even the new Camaro from that lame ass Transformers movie would be a better choice.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 02:51 PM

It's a travesty. That is all.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 02:54 PM

Great, now I've got that theme song stuck in my head. I'm trying to work, here!

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Shelby beats Saturn.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
Great, now I've got that theme song stuck in my head. I'm trying to work, here!
Me too.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 03:20 PM

Oddly, it did not get stuck in my head, but I do have it on my iPod in case I do need to get it unstuck.

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 03:23 PM

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 30, 2007, 08:01 PM

Ha, TRUTH IS, most of you would piss your pants behind the wheel of a GT500KR, also known as the most powerful production Mustang ever produced.

2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR King of the Road

KITT from the 80's? Yea, in it's best incarnation there was no more than 200HP coming outta that bucket. Regardless, I love me some Knight Rider, so bring it on. Will Garth be played by the same actor, just with a moustache?
ice

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 08:26 PM

I guess all those Highly paid writers and 'creative types' in Hollywood are incapable of coming up with anything new and original?? Day the Earth Stood Still? Knight Rider? Jeez....

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
I guess all those Highly paid writers and 'creative types' in Hollywood are incapable of coming up with anything new and original?? Day the Earth Stood Still? Knight Rider? Jeez....
Errrr. You might be better off blaming that on producers, not the writers. Remakes are safe money, brilliantly written scripts and bold new ideas are not.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2007, 09:08 PM

Let's see:

Trans Am. Ugly, overrated, poor quality road trash destined for the driveways and garages of rednecks all across the country.

Mustangā€¦um, I'm not seeing the problem hereā€¦
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 10:07 PM

Mustang all the way - now that's a muscle car.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2007, 10:42 PM

My buddy just got one of those- (2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR) sans blue stripes. I have nothing bad to say except where do you get to have fun with it?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
My buddy just got one of those- (2008 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR) sans blue stripes. I have nothing bad to say except where do you get to have fun with it?

On the street. From backing out of the driveway to the parking space of wherever you're going. You don't need to drive like a maniac to enjoy a good muscle or sports car. Buutt, if I weeere to want to drive like a maniac, I might go to:

Moroso Motorsports Park - Home

Sebring International Raceway

Welcome to Countyline Dragway Inc. - Miami's First 1/8 Mile Dragstrip

or maybe just go do sick 500+RWHP burnouts at the local parking lot?!
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2007, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
also, wtf take some pics please, I've not heard of a KR without stripes I'd like to see.. also, these things are super marked up, going for really big money. sup with your friend?
ice

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 10:11 AM

Most dealers love to mark up anything that says Shelby on them. I sort of feel like most movies that feature cars in prominent positions seem like an advertisement, like the Transformers or the Bond movies. Transformers was just a big ad for GM it seems. There were only two non-GM cars that you could really see, Barricade and a closeup on a Taurus in a NY street.

PaperNotes
Dec 1, 2007, 10:24 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he should be a Porsche.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2007, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by PaperNotes View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO he should be a Porsche.
but only if his mother buy it for him

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
also, wtf take some pics please, I've not heard of a KR without stripes I'd like to see.. also, these things are super marked up, going for really big money. sup with your friend?

I just saw it for the first time the other night, he was talking about it and had just taken some friends out to look at it. I went outside prepared to tear it apart saying it wasn't "all that". But, I saw it and just went, "ohhhh-kay, I have absolutely nothing negative to say." He's a financial mortgage something or other. It's solid silver with the cobra on the side and Shelby on the back. Perhaps he exaggerated the KR? Would that explain the lack of stripes? I'll get pics next time I see him.

Edit: it is also very possible I didn't see the blue stripes in the dark. I'll hunt him down.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 1, 2007, 03:46 PM

next time you see it:

The KR actually says "GT500KR" on the side, regular GT500 will just say "GT500". Also, the KR has the thin spoke wheels pictured here, and the front carbon fiber splitter. Shelby/Ford are only making 1000 examples of the GT500KR.

The GT500 looks like this up front, without the holes in the front lower grill for brake cooling. Hood is different and doesn't say "SHELBY" across the front. GT500 wheels are different, as pictured:

The GT500 routinely sells for $45K+

The GT500KR will be $55K or so, with a heavy mark-up to boot.
ice

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2007, 04:09 PM

That car is one ugly bitch.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2007, 04:39 PM

next time you see it:

The GT500KR will be $55K or so, with a heavy mark-up to boot.
Making it the most expensive factory built Mustang ever. For that much, I'd be in a Z06. Or make my Honda into the fastest Accord evar, ha ha.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2007, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Making it the most expensive factory built Mustang ever. For that much, I'd be in a Z06. Or make my Honda into the fastest Accord evar, ha ha.
And why wouldn't it be expensive? There's sick gear in there. Read up on it. These mod motors don't fsck around. Three easy mods and that car is over 600HP(540 stock). BTW, the factory numbers put this car above the Z06(505HP) in terms of factory horsepower. Granted, the Stang is carrying a bit more weight..

Oh, and the MSRP for the 2008 Z06 is $71,000. Uhhh..

I love 'em both though.

Also, I'm imagining your $70,000 Honda Accord. When all the money is spent that thing probably won't even idle, let alone be streetable.
ice

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2007, 02:52 AM

I owe you for that link. Those pictures make excellent desktop wallpapers.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 05:47 AM

Ford USA has a nice car and they don't sell it overseasā€¦ meh!! Maybe they can sell it here in Europe as KR standing for Knight Rider instead of King of the (American) Roadā€¦

As for the Knight Rider TV show, I much preffer The A Team, any news regarding a new van?
( Last edited by angelmb; Dec 2, 2007 at 05:59 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Let's see:

Trans Am. Ugly, overrated, poor quality road trash destined for the driveways and garages of rednecks all across the country.

Mustangā€¦um, I'm not seeing the problem hereā€¦
z
This must be one of those GM vs Ford things I never understood.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 2, 2007, 10:18 AM

Where will they put the "Cylon light" on a Mustang? The scoop-thingies on the hood aren't right for that...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
z
This must be one of those GM vs Ford things I never understood.
Actually my post was a poorly worded attempt to explain that I think the Mustang and the Trans Am suck pretty equally. And no I am not talking about performance. On that, I wouldn't know.

Ford makes the ugliest, most boring cars sold in America and as far as style goes the Mustang is no exception. So it compares pretty well to a lame GM car from the 80's.

I have only purchased two NEW cars and the were GM, but only because I got an employee discount through a relative. That, and here Meth capitol of Indiana there aren't too many choices in car dealerships.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2007, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Where will they put the "Cylon light" on a Mustang? The scoop-thingies on the hood aren't right for that...
It's shown in the linked photoā€¦

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 2, 2007, 11:45 AM

It's shown in the linked photoā€¦
Yes it is-I missed it. Probably because I was looking for a single space. I still think the dual scoop is wrong for the light.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Ford USA has a nice car and they don't sell it overseasā€¦ meh!!
YouTube - GT500 Mustang Commercial "Germany"
ice

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2007, 04:20 PM

Nice car!

nexus5.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 07:39 PM

Sorry, but that front just looks retarded.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 2, 2007, 07:41 PM

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 07:47 PM

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 2, 2007, 08:57 PM

Actually my post was a poorly worded attempt to explain that I think the Mustang and the Trans Am suck pretty equally. And no I am not talking about performance. On that, I wouldn't know.

Ford makes the ugliest, most boring cars sold in America and as far as style goes the Mustang is no exception. So it compares pretty well to a lame GM car from the 80's.
Well we will just agree to disagree.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2007, 09:14 PM

The current Mustang is anything but a lame GM car from the '80s (which is opposed to a not-lame GM car from the '80s, which doesn't really exist). Dynamically, I've heard it been called the best Mustang built. As far as sales go, Ford isn't complaining. I think the overall quality is something that Ford should put into all of their other autos (not saying it's the best, but the last two generations had horrid build quality). I think that other Fords right now are lame (the heavy Edge, stupid 500 [oops, Taurus], the Freestyle [oops, Taurus X], and the Focus [with the exception of the SVT Focus {oops, they took that away and replaced it with the 140 hp Focus ST}]).

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2007, 11:45 PM

Ha, TRUTH IS, most of you would piss your pants behind the wheel of a GT500KR, also known as the most powerful production Mustang ever produced......
Not for long: Click Me

As for comparing that to Z06... you can't. Different car types. Besides, Mustang's can't hang due to its weight (not to mention it can't handle as well). And It's not how much HP.. its how much HP/Lbs. Corvettes are very light compared to other cars these days (~3100lbs vs 3600+ for most cars in its price range). As much as I hate to say it.. the Z06 is probably one of the best bargains as it'll hold its own with cars 3-4 times more expensive.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 06:41 AM

Too bad GM made the Z06 look just like a Viper. I don't know HOW many people have confused it for one.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 11:03 AM

Just the headlights. I don't think I've ever mistaken a Z06 for a Viper.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 11:35 AM

Too bad GM made the Z06 look just like a Viper. I don't know HOW many people have confused it for one.
I don't know how many people either. Maybe two or three?

(also, there's no difference in looks between the Z06 and the regular Vette except wheels and a hood scoop)
ice

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 3, 2007, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
Just the headlights. I don't think I've ever mistaken a Z06 for a Viper.
I am sure you haven't. But most people that aren't into cars that I've hung out with thought the new Z06 design looked a lot like the Viper lines.

It may have had to do with tests done that showed people were more attracted to the way the viper looked when compared to the Vette at the time.
(also, there's no difference in looks between the Z06 and the regular Vette except wheels and a hood scoop)
Not talking about the Z06 but the new Vette design in general.

When you first see this coming at you down the road it DOES remind you of a Viper.

What cracks me up is the GM fanboys claiming Dodge is making the Viper look like the Vette.

WTF?!

I like GM, Ford, and Dodge products. I have no loyalty to any company. I liked the Mustang, the Camaro, the TransAm, The Vette etc. But the Viper always LOOKED cooler than the Vette person.

GM decided to fix this and give he Vette some of the same looks that gave the Viper than mean look. The main part of that look was it's headlights and the scooped down hood and the side cuts.

The vette never had these before. But now they do. Just like the Viper.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 3, 2007, 01:06 PM

"When you first see this coming down the road yada yada..."

Don't tell me what I think when I see a Vette. You mean yourself. You. So, you're saying you can't tell what different awesome cars look like unless you get a few good seconds with it. That's okay, just be comfortable with that fact. (just look for the Dodge Corporate GrillĀ®)

C5 and C6 Vette have very similar lines up front. No copying of the Viper, rather continuing the C5 look.

C5R was the super-duper winning race model of the C5 car. It always had special fixed headlights (since 1999):

There's also a few aftermarket kits for Vette owners, and there have been for years. Bottom line is that the flip up headlights, while they may have been a nod to days-gone-by, they weren't modern. The C6 got fixed headlamps because they're more functional. That's it.

Also, I like them both. Also, check your vision.

why don't we complain about them both looking like the Ferrari 599?

oh, and the C6 Z06 did a 7:43 at the 'ring, just sayin.

ice

ajprice  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2007, 05:42 PM

C6 Corvette, and most if not all cars now do not have pop up headlights, for safety/aerodynamics reasons as far as I know.

Anyway, here's a KITT Corvette I threw together...

Somebody said before that KITT couldn't be a Corvette. As a car fan who isn't American and doesn't know much about American car culture, why not a 'vette KITT?

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2007, 07:37 PM

C6 Corvette, and most if not all cars now do not have pop up headlights, for safety/aerodynamics reasons as far as I know.

Somebody said before that KITT couldn't be a Corvette. As a car fan who isn't American and doesn't know much about American car culture, why not a 'vette KITT?
That Vette looks good!

In contrast, Mustangs, ugly then... still ugly now!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007, 02:33 AM

just for fun:

C6 Z06 with 800+ rear_wheel_horsepower, 91 Octane pump gas:

Newtech project boosted C6Z06- evolution as it progresses and ECLIPSES it's goal of 800 RWHP! - Video
ice

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 06:38 AM

C5 and C6 Vette have very similar lines up front. No copying of the Viper, rather continuing the C5 look.
The C5 and C6 were both Viper copies as far as looks and designs go. It has just gotten worse.
The C6 got fixed headlamps because they're more functional. That's it.
But did they have to look like the Vipers?
Also, I like them both. Also, check your vision.
Nothing wrong with my vision.

Compare the Vette before they changed the body style to resemble the Viper's meaner look with the one now. Most ALL of it's changes are geared toward it having the meaner Viper look. Even the headlights are almost identical so during the night these cars ARE hard to tell apart.

I give it to GM for finally after all these years building a Z06 that beat the Viper. But it's been known they have been fighting this for years. And every visual test they have done, people have preferred the looks over the Viper to the older Vette lines they had before switching. I'll look and see if I can go on the web and find this for you to glance at.

It's not a coincidence that the Vette looks similar to the Viper.

GM has a history of taking popular designs and lines and putting them on their cars. When the Neon first came out all sleek and aerodynamic looking GM completely changed their boxy Cavaliers and such to have lines similar to that of the fast selling (at the time) Neon.

I wont go into how the Cavalier's replacement "Cobalt" looked like an offshoot of the SRT-4 either. Too bad it was 1/2 as slow.

GM only has one fast car right now. And no peppy mid range car. And no, the current Cobalts aren't what I would consider peppy.
( Last edited by Kevin; Dec 4, 2007 at 06:46 AM. )

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 4, 2007, 06:50 AM

I love the Mustang, but you are right, Kitt look better with this look.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 4, 2007, 06:23 PM

GM only has one fast car right now. And no peppy mid range car. And no, the current Cobalts aren't what I would consider peppy.
Corvette/Z06 - 430HP/500HP

Trailblazer SS - 400HP

Cadillac CTS-V - 400HP

Cadillac STS-V - 470HP

Cadillac XLR-V - 440HP

2008 Cobalt SS has a 260HP 2.0L Turbocharged Ecotec four cyl, I don't think you knew that.
(also, the new SS set a class record for FWD sport compacts, lapping the Nurburgring in 8:22.85)
((I don't think I could ever drive this thing, but whatevr))

there's probably a couple more, I can't recall.
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules