Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who likes good music?

Who likes good music?
dgs212
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 12:14 AM

Does anyone in these forums listen to different/interesting music? It seems like all these darn youngsters listen to is the same Nu Metal and Electronica and Classic Rock that MTV and Rolling Stone and Spin force down our collective throats! Where are the Yo La Tengo fans? Guided By Voices? Stereolab? The Pixies? Spoon? The Make Up? Modest Mouse? Velvet Underground? Blonde Redhead? Television? T. Rex? Neu!? Can? Quasi? Pavement? Royal Trux? Curtis Mayfield? Do you guys and girls exist? I'd love to get my daily dose of Mac's and music at one place, but it seems close to impossible. If you guys and girls do exist, what are you listening to now?

P.S. I saw Sonic Youth and Art of Noise mentioned in another thread, so kudos to you guys.

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 12:20 AM

Well, i listen to a lot of techno / drum & bass. I guess it falls into the electronica category but i consider it good music. Aphex Twin, Photek, Bjork, Squarepusher, Autechre. all pure techno. Some of it is really beautiful.

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2002, 12:22 AM

Lately it's been Sonic Youth, Velvet Underground, Beck, DJ Shadow, Atari Teenage Riot, Iggy Pop, Lords of Acid, N.E.R.D., Portishead, Pavement, Mr. Bungle, and Cypress Hill in my playlist.

dgs212  (op)
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by rob5243:
<STRONG>Well, i listen to a lot of techno / drum & bass. I guess it falls into the electronica category but i consider it good music. Aphex Twin, Photek, Bjork, Squarepusher, Autechre. all pure techno. Some of it is really beautiful.</STRONG>
I like Bjork just fine (although where does she gets off charging $150 for tickets?!), but that other electronica type stuff doesn't appeal to me. A good friend of mine is very electronica-focused and he's always playing me Bogdan Roscnynsci (or however it's spelled), but just don't get it, I suppose. At least you're not all into Tool . Or maybe you are. Shit, did I just put my foot in my mouth?

dgs212  (op)
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 12:33 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
<STRONG>Lately it's been Sonic Youth, Velvet Underground, Beck, DJ Shadow, Atari Teenage Riot, Iggy Pop, Lords of Acid, N.E.R.D., Portishead, Pavement, Mr. Bungle, and Cypress Hill in my playlist.</STRONG>
What's up with that N.E.R.D. album? And what's up with The Neptunes blowing up? They had a thousand and one top ten singles this year. They all sound the same, but dammit if they don't sound great!!

rob5243
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 12:37 AM

At least you're not all into Tool.
I don't care for Tool at all.

Lately i've been listening to a lot of Radiohead as well. Sometimes Orbital, Beta Band, Air, Beck, FSOL.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 12:39 AM

I mostly listen to classical music nowadays.

I'm a fancy lad.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2002, 12:40 AM

What's up with that N.E.R.D. album? And what's up with The Neptunes blowing up? They had a thousand and one top ten singles this year. They all sound the same, but dammit if they don't sound great!!
Yeah, the new N.E.R.D. album is great. Doesn't take itself too seriously and catchy as hell. Huge mix of influences. I can't get this thing out of my head.

dgs212  (op)
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
<STRONG>

Yeah, the new N.E.R.D. album is great. Doesn't take itself too seriously and catchy as hell. Huge mix of influences. I can't get this thing out of my head.</STRONG>
Cool. I'll check it out. I've been listening to Quasi a lot. They're great!! Also Blonde Redhead's and Stereolab's last albums which I just got back from a friend who borrowed them. It's good to see some people with independent leanings here. Let's keep up the back-and-forth.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 02:31 AM

Jamaican music from the 60's is awsome. Ska/Rocksteady/Reggae...I love it. But I can't stand Modest Mouse!

Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 05:20 AM

I am 17. I listen to classical, always have. Favorites are Mozart, Bethoven, Vivaldi, and Bach. Typical yes, but there is areason they are typical, and that is cus they are the best

I like Kennedy, and Itzhak Perlamn. (both violin players) and of course Melstein. I play violin btw.

I also love movie soundtracks, so John Williams stuff, Rachel Portman's Chocolat. Oooo, and the Crouching Tiger Soundtrack (Yo-you Ma kicks some serious ass on that strad) And musicals, so of course Sir Andrew Loyd Webber, the guy who did Les Miserables, and also the soundtrack for Moulin Rouge (which is of course a compilation of a whole bunch of stuff).

I also listen to whatever is playing on iTunes electronica/DL Trance (or is it DJ, whatever). And I like the beatles, enya, bjork, barenaked ladies, Snake River Conspiracy, most forms of Jazz, and Phish.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 05:52 AM

dgs212, those are some very good bands you listed.

Try some of these out:
The Stratford 4
The Brian Jonestown Massacre (my favorite band) or any band on Bomp Records
Warlocks (also on Bomp)
Beachwood Sparks (Bomp)
Beulah
Elf Power
Murder City Devils
The Verve (pre Urban Hymns)
Luna

BRMC - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club: They're openning for Spiritualized during their April US tour. DON'T MISS THIS! BRMC could just be the best band on the planet right now. Seriously.

Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown - [rant] Right now his new song about NY is getting played to death, which really sucks. It was written well before Sept, and the rest of the album is great. I hate when radio plays a song to death. I actually like his first album a little better. He's also the lead singer for Whiskeytown, who are simply wonderful. I hate country, but I could listen to them all day. [/rant]

There are just too many others to list right now.

Might I recommend MPEGRadio's brit pop channel (not just brip pop).

Or a local college station KSCU

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Arty50 ]
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Arty50
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 06:11 AM

dgs212, those are some very good bands you listed.

Try some of these out:
The Stratford 4
The Brian Jonestown Massacre (my favorite band) or any band on Bomp Records
BRMC - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (they're openning for Spiritualized during their April US tour - DON'T MISS THIS)
Warlocks (also on Bomp)
Beulah
Elf Power
Murder City Devils
The Verve (pre Urban Hymns)

There are just too many others to list right now.

Might I recommend <A HREF="http://www.mpegradio.com" TARGET=_blank>MPEGRadio's[url] brit pop channel.

Or a local college station [url=www.kscu.org]KSCU</A>
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

poocat
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 12:08 PM

ok. you're fcucked. because, whether you're able to admit it or not, maynard keynan is brilliant.

tool is brilliant shite. no, i don't like the rest of the genre, but you're stepping across the line, like many before you, when you criticize shite you obviously don't understand. it's ok. i forgive you.

but you should ALL realize that there are many tastes, many desires, and though i like an incredible amount of stuff, i'm almost never willing to declare anyone else's tastes "shite".

ACCEPT FOOL, ACCEPT.

i love electronica.
i love leonard cohen
i love ani difranco
i love the pixies
i love pink floyd
i love nirvana
i love rchp
i love the slackers
i love hepcat
i love faithless
i love neneh cherry
i love massive attack
i love dido
i love cat stevens
i love elliot smith

basically, if you're denouncing anyone, you're a rediculous fcuk. and that's not my fault.

accept, fool, accept. because there are always smarter people out there.

pcat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

dgs212  (op)
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>ok. you're fcucked. because, whether you're able to admit it or not, maynard keynan is brilliant.

tool is brilliant shite. no, i don't like the rest of the genre, but you're stepping across the line, like many before you, when you criticize shite you obviously don't understand. it's ok. i forgive you.

but you should ALL realize that there are many tastes, many desires, and though i like an incredible amount of stuff, i'm almost never willing to declare anyone else's tastes "shite".

</STRONG>
Hey, I know what it's like to be a disaffected youth who thinks that nobody understands. I was that guy, too. And I listened to Tool quite a lot when I was a sad and lonely dork. But here's the thing about Tool: have you noticed how the majority of their fans are teenage boys? And all those old guys you see at Tool shows are socially inept f'ups who live in their mom's basement. So, that being said, it seems to me that Tool's music and message appeal to teenagers (and old people in various states of arrested development). I can't imagine being some kind of musician in my late twenties or eraly thirties, in a band who seem so thoroughly sincere about their message like Tool, and the only people who get it are teenage boys. How sad. I know this isn't the case one hundred percent of the time, and my friend Kabir (yes, that Kabir) would probably list off dozens of reasons why, but this is my opinion.

Give me grown-up music. Which is not to say that I don't think teenagers don't deserve music they can get with (teenagers have it pretty tough, I'll be the first to admit). Enjoy all the Tool you want. Have a Tool Party, for all I care. Just don't expect me to show up, black soda and black chips and black cupcakes in my arms.

That being said, the only point I'll concede you about music is that its cool if everyone likes different stuff. That is cool.

MadMacs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 01:21 PM

( Last edited by MadMacs; Oct 5, 2002 at 12:38 AM. )

dgs212  (op)
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by MadMacs:
<STRONG>With the exception of Rap, "good music" depends on the listener.

There is no excuse for Rap Crap.</STRONG>
HAHAHAHHA

You sound like my dad. Rap (hip hop) can be just as good as any other type of music. See: OutKast, Peanutbutter Wolf, J5, Talib Kweli, Common, the Roots, Prince Paul, Del, Wu-Tang, Kool Keith, etc.

Pikeman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 02:07 PM

MTV doesn't shove classic rock down our throats. MTV avoids classic rock as much as possible.

Beatles, Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Who, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Zappa, Sabbath, CCR, Rolling Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Steppenwolf, The Kinks, Bowie, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queen, AC/DC, Van Halen, Guns and Roses, Deep Purple, Cream, Aerosmith(the old stuff), and of course, the immortal Bob Dylan. Now that's music.

dgs212  (op)
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 02:14 PM

Originally posted by Pikeman:
<STRONG>MTV doesn't shove classic rock down our throats. MTV avoids classic rock as much as possible.

Beatles, Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Who, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Zappa, Sabbath, CCR, Rolling Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Steppenwolf, The Kinks, Bowie, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queen, AC/DC, Van Halen, Guns and Roses, Deep Purple, Cream, Aerosmith(the old stuff), and of course, the immortal Bob Dylan. Now that's music.</STRONG>
But there's so much more out there, even during the 60s and 70s: Garage Rock, Proto-Punk, No Wave, Kraut-rock, early hip-hop, tropicalia, etc. And classic rock is shoved down our throats by rolling stone, z100, and countless aging baby boomers.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by dgs212:
<STRONG>
You sound like my dad. Rap (hip hop) can be just as good as any other type of music. See: OutKast, Peanutbutter Wolf, J5, Talib Kweli, Common, the Roots, Prince Paul, Del, Wu-Tang, Kool Keith, etc.</STRONG>
Toasting (rapping for those of you not into dancehall) over was decent when it was done by Jamacian MC's over reggae music. But modern rap (or hip-hop) were the MC is the focus and the music is secondary is crap. Most rappers are talent-less hacks who couldn't make it without a decent producer.

dgs212  (op)
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by theUpsetter:
<STRONG>

Toasting (rapping for those of you not into dancehall) over was decent when it was done by Jamacian MC's over reggae music. But modern rap (or hip-hop) were the MC is the focus and the music is secondary is crap. Most rappers are talent-less hacks who couldn't make it without a decent producer.</STRONG>
So you don't like the way hip-hop has naturally evolved? Correct me if I'm wrong (I only have one King Tubby record, so my opinion is hardly well-informed), but isn't the distinction between dub and dancehall that in dub, the emphasis is the music, and in dancehall the emphasis is on the toasting (with the beats beaing secondary)?

And what about all the amazing producers (Hi-Tek, RZA, Prince Paul, Tim, Rockwilder, The Neptunes, Premier, Dre, etc) who make awesome beats, beats that will make you think, and then hook up with amazing MCs (Kweli, Method Man, ODB, Raekwon, Ghostface, GZA, Missy, Redman, Snoop, Jay-Z, etc)? Don't they count for anything? Let's not dismiss a music with 30 year history...

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 03:29 PM

<STRONG>

So you don't like the way hip-hop has naturally evolved? Correct me if I'm wrong (I only have one King Tubby record, so my opinion is hardly well-informed), but isn't the distinction between dub and dancehall that in dub, the emphasis is the music, and in dancehall the emphasis is on the toasting (with the beats beaing secondary)?

And what about all the amazing producers (Hi-Tek, RZA, Prince Paul, Tim, Rockwilder, The Neptunes, Premier, Dre, etc) who make awesome beats, beats that will make you think, and then hook up with amazing MCs (Kweli, Method Man, ODB, Raekwon, Ghostface, GZA, Missy, Redman, Snoop, Jay-Z, etc)? Don't they count for anything? Let's not dismiss a music with 30 year history...</STRONG>
Dub is totally different from dancehall. In Dub a producer cut and pastes a song to focus of the bass and drum. Danchall is more like rockers that happens to have a more melodic toasting, really its singing, over it. I don't know which Kind Tubby CD you have, but to make the jump from Dub to Dancehall is unrealistic, Dub never really evolved into another genera like ska (became rocksteady to reggae to hip-hop by way of DJ Cool Herc) did.

As for rap producers, I do respect a couple of em. But most of their rhythms and melodies couldn't stand on their own.

Brandon

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 3, 2002, 03:42 PM

<STRONG>Does anyone in these forums listen to different/interesting music? </STRONG>
i listen to old -schoo nirvana, pixies, carpenters, weezer, greenday, and a lot of other goodies. so i understand what you're talking about.

is that "good" music to your standards?

Pikeman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 04:46 PM

<STRONG>But there's so much more out there, even during the 60s and 70s: Garage Rock, Proto-Punk, No Wave, Kraut-rock, early hip-hop, tropicalia, etc. And classic rock is shoved down our throats by rolling stone, z100, and countless aging baby boomers.</STRONG>
True. None of which I like. I don't read Rolling Stone, and my parents never listened to any of their old music around me. I just bought a Beatles cd in the store about 5 years ago, and it went from there. I downloaded the rest and now I have at least 300 classic rock songs on my hard drive. No one forced classic rock on me, in fact I have to defend it from many of my friends who only listen to today's pop music. Boring. Just because music is obscure or underground doesn't mean it's good. Look at trance, and worse, industrial. Blech.

dgs212  (op)
Senior User
Mar 3, 2002, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Pikeman:
<STRONG>

True. None of which I like. I don't read Rolling Stone, and my parents never listened to any of their old music around me. I just bought a Beatles cd in the store about 5 years ago, and it went from there. I downloaded the rest and now I have at least 300 classic rock songs on my hard drive. No one forced classic rock on me, in fact I have to defend it from many of my friends who only listen to today's pop music. Boring. Just because music is obscure or underground doesn't mean it's good. Look at trance, and worse, industrial. Blech.</STRONG>
trance and industrial are hardly underground or obscure. Although I agree they are both "blech." I also agree that just because something is underground or obscure doesn't mean its good. On the other hand, most people don't know about underground or obscure music, and so assume that it doesn't exist. It's the complacency that bothers me. Honestly, how many people who put in the effort to investigate the obscure decide it was fro naught and go back to Top 40?

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
<STRONG>I am 17. I listen to classical, always have. Favorites are Mozart, Bethoven, Vivaldi, and Bach. Typical yes, but there is areason they are typical, and that is cus they are the best

I like Kennedy, and Itzhak Perlamn. (both violin players) and of course Melstein. I play violin btw.

I also love movie soundtracks, so John Williams stuff, Rachel Portman's Chocolat. Oooo, and the Crouching Tiger Soundtrack (Yo-you Ma kicks some serious ass on that strad) And musicals, so of course Sir Andrew Loyd Webber, the guy who did Les Miserables, and also the soundtrack for Moulin Rouge (which is of course a compilation of a whole bunch of stuff).

I also listen to whatever is playing on iTunes electronica/DL Trance (or is it DJ, whatever). And I like the beatles, enya, bjork, barenaked ladies, Snake River Conspiracy, most forms of Jazz, and Phish.</STRONG>
I think you've pretty much summed up my tastes, 11011001
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

Pikeman
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2002, 06:20 PM

<STRONG>It's the complacency that bothers me. Honestly, how many people who put in the effort to investigate the obscure decide it was fro naught and go back to Top 40?</STRONG>
People need thier music in one nice, big, socially acceptable, conformist package. Complacency is the American way. I wish it wasn't, but I don't see the music industry de-whoring itself anytime soon.

poocat
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2002, 09:19 PM

eh.
what i was trying to say about tool is that you can (and should) look beyond their fan base.
can their fans also like other music? yes. and they do. can their fans be intelligent educated and cheerful adults (not putting myself in this category, but i do know people who are)? yes. and they are.

so does it really matter?
of course their fans are teenagers.
who do you think _most_ bands fans are? grandmothers?
please. almost every person/band listed here relies on youth for their support.
don't deride someone for being popular... deride them for being obnoxious _and_ popular.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

modusmorons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2002, 09:24 PM

hmm. Today it was cat stevens

yesterday it was james taylor and paul van dyk and Wagner's Tannhauser (flatmate recommended both, havn't formed an opinion yet).

Sprinkle in some aphex, some neil young, some beck and brian eno...

ray lynch when I want to piss other people off

nope. no accounting for taste.

-jon

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: modusmorons ]

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2002, 02:03 AM

I listen to whatever the **** I want, when I want, and don't give 2 shits as to what anyone else thinks about it.

"Good" is in the ear of the beholder.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 02:25 AM

<STRONG>Does anyone in these forums listen to different/interesting music? It seems like all these darn youngsters listen to is the same Nu Metal and Electronica and Classic Rock that MTV and Rolling Stone and Spin force down our collective throats! Where are the Yo La Tengo fans? Guided By Voices? Stereolab? The Pixies? Spoon? The Make Up? Modest Mouse? Velvet Underground? Blonde Redhead? Television? T. Rex? Neu!? Can? Quasi? Pavement? Royal Trux? Curtis Mayfield? Do you guys and girls exist? I'd love to get my daily dose of Mac's and music at one place, but it seems close to impossible. If you guys and girls do exist, what are you listening to now?

P.S. I saw Sonic Youth and Art of Noise mentioned in another thread, so kudos to you guys.</STRONG>
I've mentioned Yo La Tengo a few times around here and gotten no response. Also The Go-Betweens, My Bloody Valentine, The Feelies, etc. I can't listen to Television because it reminds me of when I got dumped by a girl and spent an entire summer getting wasted and listening to Television - very depressing.

I think rock and roll has been around for so long now that everyone has their own little obscure niche and it can be harder to find common ground. When I was a kid, everyone listened to the same stations and the same music - Motown, Beach Boys, The Impressions, Beatles, Stones, etc. It's a much more fragmented world now. I stopped trying to keep up with it a long time ago.

Rap and hip-hop are very important and influential genres. If some of you don't relate to it, it doesn't mean it's bad, it just means you don't relate to it. I remember people saying how stupid The Beatles were when they started out - "They're just shouting! You can't even understand the words!" etc.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 03:57 AM

<STRONG>

Hey, I know what it's like to be a disaffected youth who thinks that nobody understands. I was that guy, too. And I listened to Tool quite a lot when I was a sad and lonely dork. But here's the thing about Tool: have you noticed how the majority of their fans are teenage boys? And all those old guys you see at Tool shows are socially inept f'ups who live in their mom's basement. So, that being said, it seems to me that Tool's music and message appeal to teenagers (and old people in various states of arrested development). I can't imagine being some kind of musician in my late twenties or eraly thirties, in a band who seem so thoroughly sincere about their message like Tool, and the only people who get it are teenage boys. How sad. I know this isn't the case one hundred percent of the time, and my friend Kabir (yes, that Kabir) would probably list off dozens of reasons why, but this is my opinion.

Give me grown-up music. Which is not to say that I don't think teenagers don't deserve music they can get with (teenagers have it pretty tough, I'll be the first to admit). Enjoy all the Tool you want. Have a Tool Party, for all I care. Just don't expect me to show up, black soda and black chips and black cupcakes in my arms.

That being said, the only point I'll concede you about music is that its cool if everyone likes different stuff. That is cool.</STRONG>
so you basically judge the artist by looking at their fan base?

wow, thats a new level of..... ugh, never mind.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 05:06 AM

It's funny but a lot of my friends locked in their musical taste when they turned 19. Apparently 1986 was the zenith of musical stylings.

And on that day they instantly became their fathers.

Now they are lost to new music. I, on the other hand, like everything apart from boy bands. As a middle aged white guy I look pretty stupid getting down* to rap and hip-hop, but hey, I like it.

Lately I've just been listening to my Mp3's, but as there's 1300 of them it's not like it's repetitive.

Another interesting Face Ache factoid (or not): A few years ago I worked for Rolling Stone Magazine for eight whole hours before quitting. How cool am I?

* I'm not really sure if middle aged white guys can "get down". Let me dream.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 10:48 AM

Righto, class. Repeat after me:
Tom Waits
Bach
Peter Gabriel
King Crimson
Son House
Coltrain
Charlie Mingus

...any questions?

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:

I've mentioned Yo La Tengo a few times around here and gotten no response.
"You...can have...it aaaaa-ll..."

scottiB
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2002, 11:45 AM

Jamaican music from the 60's is awsome. Ska/Rocksteady/Reggae...I love it. But I can't stand Modest Mouse!
Rock on. I've a Desmond Dekker album, and it is one of my favorites (as I fire up iTunes...aaaaaahhhhhhh). Can you recommend any other artists?
----------
First of all complacency is a universal human trait (malaise?) and not restricted to America. Secondly, no one is shoving any music type down anyone's throat.

I'm 35, and you kids (heh ) don't realize how good you've got it: multiple MTV and VH1 stations, the web, mp3s, LimeWire. When I was 14, there were about five stations in Detroit--all playing AOR (album oriented rock, I believe)--did you want Styx, Foreigner, .38 Special, Skynard (FREE BIRD!!!!!)? Being a suburban white kid, I wasn't exposed to anything--other than safe middle-of-the-road programming. In high school, we'd be begging stations to play Echo and the Bunnymen, Psych Furs, The Smiths, Ultravox, Husker Du (I'd end up taping CBC-Radio's "Brave New Waves" at night--a tremendous show, is Brent Bambry still around?). Thank god for John Hughes movies and Valley Girl (aahh...The Plimsouls).

Finding "good" music (whatever the heck that is) takes research, honesty, and effort. Example, a few years back I heard a classical piece on an Oldsmobile Aurora TV ad. I loved the tune, I went to a classical music shop and had to sing the thing for about three people to learn that it was from Copland's "Appalachian Suite" (from a Shaker tune "A Gift to be Simple"). I've learned so much (and purchased) unfamiliar music from hearing them on TV commercials (too bad adcritic.com succumbed). When I'm in a bar/club and I hear a tune, I ask any waitress/bartender/dj what the tune is.

Thank god for the internet; I've saved hundreds of miles driving and dollars in long-distance calls trying to track down some out-of-print album. eBay, Amazon, etc., all have whatever I need.

Currently, I'm digging Ledbelly and spiritual/chain gang songs recorded by Alan Lomax. I discovered them by hearing a tune from the O' Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack (which has sold 4 million copies, won numerous Grammys, and received no radio support--go figure).

With the avenues available now, there's no reason to be pestered or influenced by station/programming managers/marketing hype/corporate schtick and no need to complain about it, either.

That said, I'm digging the lastest Blink 182 video--"First Date."

Now, I've done it--I sound like my parents
{edit: fixed Ledbelly's name--whoops--or is it Lead Zep?}

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 12:07 PM

LEDBELLY! King of the 12 String Guitar (or so the record says... funny, he plays a national steel on that one... no 12 sring to be found). Love Ledbelly. I'd recommend Son House, Alvin Youngblood Hart (Big Mama's Door) to anyone into the brand of Delta Mr. Ledbetter dispenses.

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
<STRONG>I listen to classical, always have. Favorites are Mozart, Bethoven, Vivaldi, and Bach.</STRONG>

been listening to more and more classical myself in the last five years, but it's hard to talk about classical music without mentioning specific recordings (i think the recording makes a huge difference)- do you have any favorite recordings?

some of mine:
arthur rubinstein - beethoven sonatas 8, 14, 23
rostropovich - bach cello suites
rada lupu - schubert sonata 16
murray perahia - d. scarlatti piano sonatas
bruno walter - beethoven symphonies
etc.

i'm also very fond of some contemporary composers:
arvo part
philip glass
steve reich

then listen to a little jazz:
miles davis - sketchs of spain, kind of blue, and some bootlegs

and i still listen to the music i grew up on:
jethro tull
pink floyd (matter of fact just yesterday i mp3ed a bootleg of "you gotta be crazy" and "raving and drooling" over to the ipod.)
peter gabriel
etc.

any new music i may catch off the radio, but it's not much, and the radio isn't always the best source.
one post closer to five stars

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 01:51 PM

Favorite recordings- now THERE's the rub.
Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations.
Come to think on it, I prefer Glenn Gould's Bach to anyone elses.
The Robert Levin completion of Mozart's Requiem performed by the Boston Camerata.
Neville Marriner's recording of the same Requiem for the classic Sussmeyer completion.
Robert Levin's complete Mozart Piano Concertos, Academy of Ancient Music and Christopher Hogwood conducting.
Daniel Baranbaum's Beethoven 9th. Oh, the fire.

modusmorons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 4, 2002, 01:57 PM

ah, but Yo-Yo Ma is a must for the cello suites.

-jon

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by modusmorons:
<STRONG>

ah, but Yo-Yo Ma is a must for the cello suites.

-jon</STRONG>
i prefer rostropovich

dav
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
<STRONG>Favorite recordings- now THERE's the rub.
Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations.
The Robert Levin completion of Mozart's Requiem performed by the Boston Camerata.
Neville Marriner's recording of the same Requiem for the classic Sussmeyer completion.
Robert Levin's complete Mozart Piano Concertos, Academy of Ancient Music and Christopher Hogwood conducting.
Daniel Baranbaum's Beethoven 9th. Oh, the fire.</STRONG>
have you seen "32 short films about glen gould"? quite good.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>

Rock on. I've a Desmond Dekker album, and it is one of my favorites (as I fire up iTunes...aaaaaahhhhhhh). Can you recommend any other artists?</STRONG>
Toots Hibbert (The Maytals, Toots and the Maytals) is my personal favorite. If you like reggae, get a copy of the "The Harder They Come" soundtrack, although you probably have it already.

Sadly, reggae seems to have become a tired genre, although it may be that I'm not paying sufficient attention.

<STRONG>{edit: fixed Ledbelly's name--whoops--or is it Lead Zep?}</STRONG>
You were right the first time. Ledbetter was his real name, Leadbelly his nickname.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2002, 02:32 PM

As for what "good" music is, how about this (since taste is so bloody personal and relative

"Good" music is that music which you come back to time and again because it always speaks something to your heart/mind/booty/whatever.

As for those poor folks who stop looking for new music after high school , I find myself going equally forwards as backwards, apt to listen to April Wine as the Chemical Brothers!

I think I owe much of my musical insanity to "Nightlines," the weekend equivalent to "Brave New Waves" and also on CBC. David Wisdom, the host, is as near as North America's going to get to John Peel, I think.

Ham Sandwich
Mar 4, 2002, 02:39 PM

Belle and Sebastian
Trembling Blue Stars
Mazzy Star
The Innocence Mission

-Basically anything I can mello out with and has meaningful lyrics.

-s'fit

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 4, 2002, 03:02 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 23, 2004 at 05:58 PM. )

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2002, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by dav:
<STRONG>

have you seen "32 short films about glen gould"? quite good.</STRONG>
Own it. Love it. The man was a fruitcake. Which is one of the things I love about him. Played Bach like no one before or since.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2002, 03:06 PM

Birmingham School of Business School, man!

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2002, 03:12 PM

listening to Greco, Corrado - Bach - Preludio Corale BWV639

listen to this and ur day will feel like smooth sailing...
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 4, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>

Rock on. I've a Desmond Dekker album, and it is one of my favorites (as I fire up iTunes...aaaaaahhhhhhh). Can you recommend any other artists?
[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: scottiB ]</STRONG>
Hepcat, IMHO, the greatest band ever to grace this planet, they play old school ska/rocksteady/reggae, are from my home town, LA, and they can dance like MoFo's.

Some more modern bands you might like are the Israelites, Steady Ups, the Vessels, and the Slackers.

For old jamaican stuff look for Derrick Morgan, Jackie Mittoo, The Upsetter, the Ethiopians, the Melodians, Delroy Wilson, Ernest Ranglin, Alton Ellis, and John Holt, just for a start.

Forum Links
Forum Rules