Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo Wii

Nintendo Wii (Page 24)
MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Do you think the TRU in Times Square would still have any?
I believe the Wii sold out completely on sunday, so I assume that includes the TRU. Give them a call, though. I was thinking about going up there on Sunday but I decided to hold off for a little bit just to see what the general response to the Wii is. So far, seems pretty good.

"I start fires!"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 11:44 AM

Do you think the TRU in Times Square would still have any?
I smell desperation.

Don't forget to pick up a Heeley.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I smell desperation.

Don't forget to pick up a Heeley.
Not desperate, I just want to get it out of the way.

I wonder if I could ride the Heely in the Holland TUnnel

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 12:15 PM

I went to my local Gamestop yesterday (it's already getting crowded) and asked to be put on the list for a Wii. The guy said, "Sure, no prob," then he leaned in and said, "Man, don't say anything too loud in response but we got our second shipment in today, and now we have about 40 more. You want one right now?"

Needless to say, I played Wii Sports and Madden until about 4:00 AM. Now I'm itching to get Zelda, but I need a little more in the funds department.

My views on Madden so far: it's a great game, but VERY hard to get used to when you've played it pretty much the same way for so long. I played through two games and I'm still not fully acclimated. I do love the ground game. It's the passing system that I'm adjusting to. The selection of the receivers isn't a problem, but I do have issues with precision passing. I need to read up on how to do it though. The kicking system has some issues. But these problems aside, I love the game.

Wii Sports is more addictive than i thought it would be. My wife sneered at it when she saw it and said, "I don't like the people. They're blocky or something!" When I finally talked her into trying it, she wouldn't give me the remote back for about 20 minutes. Bowling is especially addictive. I can't quite break 250 yet. Baseball and boxing are throwaways for me. The tennis and golf are pretty good, but it's the bowling that works the best.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 12:18 PM

So it's a Wiinner in your book?

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 12:18 PM

bowling is for couch potatoes.

boxing is ridiculous. so much controla nd so many combos you can do. its amazing!
blah

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Wii Sports is more addictive than i thought it would be. My wife sneered at it when she saw it and said, "I don't like the people. They're blocky or something!" When I finally talked her into trying it, she wouldn't give me the remote back for about 20 minutes. Bowling is especially addictive. I can't quite break 250 yet. Baseball and boxing are throwaways for me. The tennis and golf are pretty good, but it's the bowling that works the best.
I agree with you on the baseball part. It gets really old really fast, since there's no fielding, very little variation in hitting, and batting is difficult. I didn't get a chance to box but I watched my friends do it and it look pretty fun. It would be interesting to see someone do that with additional 3lb weights in their hands...talk about a workout. I really liked bowling, that was a blast.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 12:22 PM

I called my local GS and they had some in yesterday . So much for not wanting to be a pest. /sigh.

He said that UPS hasn't shown up yet, but to call back later and if it comes in today or tomorrow, he'll hold one for me either way.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 12:23 PM

My views on Madden so far: it's a great game, but VERY hard to get used to when you've played it pretty much the same way for so long. I played through two games and I'm still not fully acclimated. I do love the ground game. It's the passing system that I'm adjusting to. The selection of the receivers isn't a problem, but I do have issues with precision passing. I need to read up on how to do it though. The kicking system has some issues. But these problems aside, I love the game.
hmmm. i made a superstar and of course made myself a QB, but with that 1st person type view stuff, i think a RB would be more fun to be. any experience? with teh QB, as soo as i throw it/hand it off, the play is over for me. kinda dumb. i gues swith a running back, i can block for the QB, catch passes, and run the ball
blah

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 12:26 PM

I think I'll pick up a Wii at the start of the new year.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 01:14 PM

Played more Zelda last night (Spoilers ahead).

Things I like:

1) Graphically the world is complex and large. The lighting effects are great. People who want to nit pick the game can sometimes find low res terrain textures, but the direction is great and there are no jaggies so far.
2) There is some voice acting. Midna does talk when she talks to you. Her voice isn't in English though, so I have no idea if she is saying something unique each time.
3) Wolf form isn't boring. It's actually pretty powerful.
4) The music is really good. Except for the dumb dying music.
5) The Wiimote is an excellent control scheme. I couldn't imagine playing the game without it. Last night I was tired so I didn't feel like slashing, but fortunately you can still use the sword with the A button, as long as you are Z-Targeted

Annoyances:

1) So far I can only portal when I'm in the Twilight. This may be because I have my horse already, so it may be in the light world you use your horse, but in the dark world you can portal. Maybe this isn't so much an annoyance any more, more like a "what the hell" in the few minutes when I had portals but no horse.
2) Events can be somewhat random. It might just be this stage of the game. Most of the rest of the game had logic and order (even being warped away to Hyrule castle), but ever since I've entered Kamikro, I've found the kids and found my horse for no apparent reason. Then, again for no apparent reason, one of the kids was kidnapped and I had to chase the moblins out into Hyrule field. The game seems to be back on track though as I ascend Death Mountain.
3) The secondary item scheme is a bit weird. You cue up 3 secondary items on your 4 direction pad (Midna is at the top), and then when you choose one it becomes your secondary weapon. The good part about this is it stays out even if you're sword fighting. So if you have a lantern, equipping it as your secondary weapon puts it on your belt, so you can have some light while you fight.

The game does have some similarities to OOT. Such as Kamikro is at the base of Death Mountain, the Gorons live on Death Mountain, etc. But that's about it. So far no Deku or Kokiri.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
So it's a Wiinner in your book?
I give the launch
It definitely takes some adjustment for a long-time console gamer like myself. I'm so used to doing things the old way. It's like learning to walk again. But when it works, it works very, very well.

The jury is out as to whether or not Nintendo can sustain the excitement enough to get third party developers to keep pushing out Wii originals. If they can, the future looks bright.

[EDIT] DANGIT! I missed the joke the first time around...

...Dane lover
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Nov 21, 2006 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Missed the joke)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jolt21 View Post
hmmm. i made a superstar and of course made myself a QB, but with that 1st person type view stuff, i think a RB would be more fun to be. any experience? with teh QB, as soo as i throw it/hand it off, the play is over for me. kinda dumb. i gues swith a running back, i can block for the QB, catch passes, and run the ball
I haven't used the RB in the Wii version of the game. I'm a QB (and got drafted by my team: Dallas), and I don't plan on branching out into other positions for a while.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 01:56 PM

Ok another broken screen but that isn't Nintendo's fault this time:

Cheap Ass Gamer: A CAG Proves Wiimote Wrist Strap is Useful

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 01:57 PM

[EDIT] DANGIT! I missed the joke the first time around...
Pfffft. You think I seriously care?

(Not a couple days in, I don't)

...Dane lover
Suck my back!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
Ok another broken screen but that isn't Nintendo's fault this time:

Cheap Ass Gamer: A CAG Proves Wiimote Wrist Strap is Useful
Christ, who was playing, Randy Johnson?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar� View Post
Christ, who was playing, Randy Johnson?
He was bowling. And the Wii-motes have some good weight to them. The controller+2 AA batteries will get some momentum when you're going for that strike.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 02:20 PM

Well, compared to the other TV... That thing got demolished.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 02:26 PM

HA, HA! (this post will not be funnywhen Dakar changes his sig)

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 02:27 PM

I haven't used the RB in the Wii version of the game. I'm a QB (and got drafted by my team: Dallas), and I don't plan on branching out into other positions for a while.
i got drafted to the team i wanted to get as well (chargers...although not MY team, i didn't want to replace vick on the falcons, and wanted LT in the backfield anyway)

i love this game!
blah

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 02:30 PM

HA, HA! (this post will not be funnywhen Dakar changes his sig)

Actually that'll look the same. I give new names to all my sigs and keep the old ones (I should start a museum).

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Played more Zelda last night (Spoilers ahead).
i bought this game, however i don't know if/when i will play it...seems like i need a lot of time to give it a go. i played around in the village at a kiosk and it seemed boring, but i know the story will get better after that. i wish i could just fast forward
blah

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 03:19 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 03:34 PM

i bought this game, however i don't know if/when i will play it...seems like i need a lot of time to give it a go. i played around in the village at a kiosk and it seemed boring, but i know the story will get better after that. i wish i could just fast forward
That's the way every Zelda is. You start in the Tutorial village and then advance from there.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 03:36 PM

Really?

http://www.slate.com/id/2154158/

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 03:40 PM

That's the way every Zelda is. You start in the Tutorial village and then advance from there.
Nothing new, huh?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 03:42 PM

Nothing new, huh?
Well, considering that's how nearly every game I've ever played works, no, nothing new there.

forkies
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 03:43 PM

Nothing new, huh?
read about the new zelda here. there's enough to make me want to buy it

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

zerostar
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 03:43 PM

Obviously selective story picking, its been going on since page 1 what makes you think it will stop now.

The "Why you shouldn't buy the Nintendo Wii." article is a reiteration of things we have heard ever since people started hating on the Wii. Yet the Wii sold out and so-far everyone I have heard from is having a great time with it... Who would have thought you would have a fun time with a video game system. Check the Amazon comments, not a bad on among them.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 03:52 PM

I read that article, and it sounds more like "I suck at using the Wii, so it's a terrible system."

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2006, 03:55 PM

As for playing Japanese games on the Wii (or American games on a Japanese Wii) I don't think that is possible at the moment. From what I hear, the Freeloader disc that people used with the Gamecube to play games from other regions does work with the Wii, but I assume that only allows for play of Gamecube titles and not Wii titles. Probably you'll just have to wait and see what happens. Someone may come up with a way, but everything is so new right now that you should buy the system that has the games you want to play right now.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
I read that article, and it sounds more like "I suck at using the Wii, so it's a terrible system."
i guess he didn't get the memo that you are supposed to point at the sensor bar, not the TV....
blah

forkies
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 03:59 PM

mew i want one for christmas, but i don't want to bring it back to japan only to have it not work with games here

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 04:01 PM

yea, took my 6 months to get rolling with OoT. i cant stand the beginnings...
blah

ink
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 04:03 PM

I played Excite Truck at EB Games today for about a half hour (I had to trade my driver's license for the Wii remote because they'd already had one stolen). It took me a few seconds to realize I was holding the remote the wrong way. I was pointing it like a wand, when it should be held like the old SNES controller. After one lap, I was pretty much used to the controls, and the response time was perfect and much more precise than a tiny analog stick. I was impressed; although turning a steering wheel and aiming into 3-D space are two different things, so we'll see...

The graphics. Ugh. They were straight out of the GameCube. I've actually seen better graphics on the GameCube, which hopefully means that this is just a poorly coded game. The horizon was "fogged" away conveniently -- probably to prevent tearing or popups. The sounds from the Wii remote were pretty much the same as an original Game Boy: tinny and cheap. The game itself is like every other off-road racing game: grab powerups, launch into bonus tunnels

I'll definitely replace my gamecube with a Wii, but probably not until Mario comes out.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 04:04 PM

Um yes really, did you not read the link? Does you positive review automatically make all negative comments untrue?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 04:07 PM

"Every time I sighted down the controller at the TV, the crosshairs were off-center. "

What did he do wrong?

"The ball came in, I swung, and the ball flew away. After a few whacks, I realized that the Wii isn't asking me to simulate a realistic swing. There's no reason to assume a batter's stance, and no reason to bother swinging the controller fast or following through—flicking the controller like a pingpong paddle works just as well. "

What did he do wrong?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 04:15 PM

Yeah, seriously. The entire article was just him complaining about how bad he sucks. Like, other people don't have these problems — perhaps it's not the system that's being reviewed there.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
The graphics. Ugh. They were straight out of the GameCube. I've actually seen better graphics on the GameCube, which hopefully means that this is just a poorly coded game.
They do not suck you just suck at the game or you got a defective WII.

Plus they went for gameplay over graphics. Why it still got bad reviews because the game is overly simple is a mystery.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 04:20 PM

"Every time I sighted down the controller at the TV, the crosshairs were off-center. "

What did he do wrong?
to get it in the center of the TV, he needed to line the remote up to the same height at the sensor bar and point it in the center of the bar, not at the TV.

"The ball came in, I swung, and the ball flew away. After a few whacks, I realized that the Wii isn't asking me to simulate a realistic swing. There's no reason to assume a batter's stance, and no reason to bother swinging the controller fast or following through—flicking the controller like a pingpong paddle works just as well. "

What did he do wrong?
he failed to realize that the demo was made exactly for that purpose. hence why it is free with the system. (and starman, there is your evidence that you can just flick the wrist, dont have to make the the full motion)
blah

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
The sounds from the Wii remote were pretty much the same as an original Game Boy: tinny and cheap.
I agree with that. It was kind of novel how I was able to hear myself reload in Red Steel but the sound was just awful.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 04:24 PM

he failed to realize that the demo was made exactly for that purpose. hence why it is free with the system. (and starman, there is your evidence that you can just flick the wrist, dont have to make the the full motion)
I'll second that. The Wii told me to throw overhand but often raising my arm up would cause the pitch to be initiated.

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I agree with that. It was kind of novel how I was able to hear myself reload in Red Steel but the sound was just awful.
that varies from game to game.

in madden, that speaker is actually helpful

and in wii sports, its cool because you only hear your sounds plus the environment sounds

and i think in zelda the sounds actually help you find stuff..though i have yet to play it
blah

Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2006, 04:27 PM

I'll second that. The Wii told me to throw overhand but often raising my arm up would cause the pitch to be initiated.
exactly

i'm pretty sure for a REAL mlb baseball game, they will take into account change of height and stuff if they want, just like madden does.
blah

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 04:47 PM

Very much tempted to buy a Wii right now. Thankfully they don't have any in.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 04:48 PM

Um yes really, did you not read the link? Does you positive review automatically make all negative comments untrue?
I'm not sure you understand... So.... how about you just have a cookie and we move along, ok?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 04:50 PM

i guess he didn't get the memo that you are supposed to point at the sensor bar, not the TV....
You do point at the TV and not at the sensor bar. Although it helps if you are in front of the TV.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 05:09 PM

The speaker is too cheap in the remotes to play sounds that loud. I'm almost considering turning the sounds off in Zelda.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 21, 2006, 05:14 PM

Somebody should make a third-party Wiimote with better grips and a better speaker. I bet it would sell well.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2006, 05:15 PM

The speaker is too cheap in the remotes to play sounds that loud. I'm almost considering turning the sounds off in Zelda.
I don't think it has a problem playing sounds loud, but it can only reproduce a very narrow frequency. It sounds tinny, not necessarily distorted. It would be fine if it was only supposed to 'ding' or something, but when it's asked to reproduce actual gameplay sounds, it just can't do that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules