Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to back it up...

How to back it up...
oddjob42
Oct 28, 2007, 08:02 AM

I really want to back-up all my files (inc. apps) on my macbook as I'm getting a replacement. My question is - what do I copy to my external hard-drive? And, will apps still work on the new one, even though I won't install them to that specific machine?

Thanks

Cold Warrior
Oct 28, 2007, 11:00 AM

Just copy it all using something like Carbon Copy Cloner. That way you'll be sure to have everything.

Many apps should continue to work with a simple drag-drop from your backup onto your new Macbook. However, some apps that use an installer to place kexts, libraries, or other system files may need to be reinstalled.

skybolt
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2007, 11:08 AM

Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper will create an exact clone of yoru drive. Then, when you get your new mac, you can use Migration Assistant (comes on the mac) to bring everything in from the clone.
Mary

Simon
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 05:25 PM

Don't bother downloading something like CCC or SD. What you need is all built right into the OS:

/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility > Restore

• drag your old MBs drive to 'source'
• drag your backup drive to 'destination'
• hit restore

Done. Your backup drive is now a bootable clone of your MB's disk. When you get your replacement reverse the procedure and you'll be back up and running in no time.

oddjob42  (op)
Oct 30, 2007, 07:56 AM

Great. Thanks for your help.

Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2007, 04:23 AM

I did as Simon said but I also had to 'initialise' the new disc and restart before I could 'Restore' back to my new drive.
I've now got a few extra folders ('etc', 'tmp' and 'var') - these are aliases but have lots of files within them .... can they be trashed???

Steve

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2007, 05:29 AM

Keep them where they are if you plan on keeping that disk a bootable clone. These aliases are on your OS X boot partition too and they're required for OS X to work properly. It's just that on your boot partition they're usually hidden. On the clone they're not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules