Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Broken Popup (Tabbed) Folders

Broken Popup (Tabbed) Folders
macmike42
Senior User
Sep 22, 2002, 10:01 PM

Drag a Finder window to the bottom of the screen so that just the titlebar is the only part visible. (Actually this works as long as the window is partially off one side of the screen)

Now drag a file icon onto the window and wait a second. Amazing, huh? The only problem is, if you "drop" the file in the window, it doesn't return to the state you left it in. If you drag the file back out without dropping it, the window returns to where you put it.

Interestingly, if you drag a text clipping in the same manner, it works perfectly (the "popup" window "closes" properly).
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 22, 2002, 10:16 PM

hmmmm, cool implications. Maybe its a work in progress. I hope, I loved popup tabbed windows in OS9. That combined with column view will be rad.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2002, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
hmmmm, cool implications. Maybe its a work in progress. I hope, I loved popup tabbed windows in OS9. That combined with column view will be rad.
No, its a feature of 10.2.

Seamus
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2002, 11:00 PM

Good stuff. Apple doesn't have this in 10.2 already...why?
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

swiz
GUI Punk
Sep 23, 2002, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

No, its a feature of 10.2.
An incomplete feature then. If it doesnt work at least as well in OSX as it did in OS9, regarding functionality not speed, then it cant be done. Why would they make it a fully functional popup window with certain files and only partially functional with other types of files dragged onto it? I repeat, a work in progress.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

RGB
Mac Elite
Sep 23, 2002, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by swiz:

An incomplete feature then. If it doesnt work at least as well in OSX as it did in OS9, regarding functionality not speed, then it cant be done. Why would they make it a fully functional popup window with certain files and only partially functional with other types of files dragged onto it? I repeat, a work in progress.
Who says it's a re-implementation of tabbed windows? Seems to me like it's just a way of being able to shove inactive windows to the side without losing them if you need to move a file there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules