Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.4. Now.

10.2.4. Now. (Page 2)
gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
10.2.4 finally comes out, and my grandmother dies on the same day. Way to dampen my enthusiasm...
Yikes, sorry to hear that.

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 08:28 PM

i am not even sure i want to use that word, but i will say that on my g4/733/512MB ram, that many functions seems quicker and less sluggish after installing 10.2.4.

address book is definitely quicker opening and entering data (i have hundreds of e-mail addresses there), and sherlock (which i always thought was pretty lame in the speed department) is also quicker and more responsive.

as for other applications, i am not noticing a terrible speed increase, but i will say that i seem to have more and longer spinning beach balls.

Pepi Picklefoot
Banned
Feb 13, 2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by plyxrbo:
i am not even sure i want to use that word, but i will say that on my g4/733/512MB ram, that many functions seems quicker and less sluggish after installing 10.2.4.

address book is definitely quicker opening and entering data (i have hundreds of e-mail addresses there), and sherlock (which i always thought was pretty lame in the speed department) is also quicker and more responsive.

as for other applications, i am not noticing a terrible speed increase, but i will say that i seem to have more and longer spinning beach balls.
Wow...you've been able to analyze all that in the last few hours that 10.2.4 has been out?

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
77.9? you need to update more often.

-Owl
I'm running 10.2.2 right now, didn't update to 10.2.3 on account of it making my iBook suffer a Kernel Panic everytime I logged out. Software Update offers me an update from 10.2.x -> 10.2.3, which is about 50MB, and the 10.2 -> 10.2.4 one, which is 78MB... except I just checked Software Update again and now the 10.2.x to 10.2.3 one is gone, only the 10.2 -> 10.2.4 one exists, and as I said before, that's 78MB.

With regards Software Update, I did a little testing; disconnecting from my dial-up connection whilst the update was downloading resulted in me being told the installation had failed, that I must restart Software Update and try again. So much for that. Would it not be possible for Software Update to use the Unix tool for downloading files, which allows for resuming, "get" I think it's called? If I use the command line version of Software Update, which I remember reading about, would that let me resume? How would I go about using said command line tool?

Anyway, I guess I'll just wait a few more days for the stand-alone download.

And, whilst, I'm here; anyone who suffered the kernel-panic-upon-logout-probably-because-of-the-trackpad thing under 10.2.3? Is that now fixed under 10.2.4? Or should I stick with 10.2.2?

Thanks,
Simon
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 08:45 PM

What caught my eye is AddressBook now has Undo in the Edit menu. And it really works!

Wish I would have had it earlier today...Thanks Apple. This is great.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by megasad:

And, whilst, I'm here; anyone who suffered the kernel-panic-upon-logout-probably-because-of-the-trackpad thing under 10.2.3? Is that now fixed under 10.2.4? Or should I stick with 10.2.2?

Thanks,
Simon
Never had it, but the Apple document claims it's fixed...

plyxrbo
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Pepi Picklefoot:
Wow...you've been able to analyze all that in the last few hours that 10.2.4 has been out?
yes i have. amazing, but i really don't have much of a life. hehehe

Alex00087
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
What's the new Bluetooth Service for (sorry don't have a Bluetooth device, but I'm curious).
They're talking about their bluetooth phones (such as the Sony Ericson T68i GSM phone) where when someone calls you, the person in the address book pops up on your computer screen and you can chose to answer it or not.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by Alex00087:
They're talking about their bluetooth phones (such as the Sony Ericson T68i GSM phone) where when someone calls you, the person in the address book pops up on your computer screen and you can chose to answer it or not.
I was actually talking about the Bluetooth Service in the Services menu. What does that do?
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
I was actually talking about the Bluetooth Service in the Services menu. What does that do?
Doesn't it just send files to your phone?

Scoo
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
10.2.4 finally comes out, and my grandmother dies on the same day. Way to dampen my enthusiasm...
Please accept my sincere condolences.

-Scoo
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

macmike42  (op)
Senior User
Feb 13, 2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by plyxrbo:
...many functions...quicker...less sluggish...quicker opening and entering data...more responsive...more...balls...
Hmm.

plyxrbo
plaxrbo
placrbo
placebo!?!?
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 10:11 PM

A very useful feature included in the Mac OS X 10.2.4 update is the ability to execute scripts and actions when saving a document as a PDF file via the Print dialog. Documented on the AppleScript website at: www.apple.com/applescript/print/

MrNo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2003, 10:14 PM

I have resumed a few times from SW update. Dunno why u can do it

Originally posted by megasad:
With regards Software Update, I did a little testing; disconnecting from my dial-up connection whilst the update was downloading resulted in me being told the installation had failed, that I must restart Software Update and try again. So much for that. Would it not be possible for Software Update to use the Unix tool for downloading files, which allows for resuming, "get" I think it's called? If I use the command line version of Software Update, which I remember reading about, would that let me resume? How would I go about using said command line tool?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2003, 10:59 PM

JNG
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
It didn't do this on mine?
Yes all the apps where in the default locations. I allways reset them before an update, then 'tidy up' again after.

it didnt repalce any of my customized icons ether
The update didn't monkey with my dock or icons either.

I wonder why it would do this to some and not others.

step
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 11:05 PM

Originally posted by MrNo:
I have resumed a few times from SW update. Dunno why u can do it
same here, after a failed update, if i relaunch sw update, it restarts at where it got to when i lost my dial up connection (just as well as my isp chucks me every 2hrs)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 11:15 PM

by Sal

"A very useful feature included in the Mac OS X 10.2.4 update is the ability to execute scripts and actions when saving a document as a PDF file via the Print dialog. Documented on the AppleScript website at: www.apple.com/applescript/print/"

I created a folder in the Library named PDF Services just as the site says. I am assuming their are some scripts that can be downloaded to this folder?

How do you activate this cool feature?

Edit: OK. I enabled the new pdf button in the print menu. Anyone know where the scripts are that show up on the Apple page for this feature?
( Last edited by kcmac; Feb 13, 2003 at 11:37 PM. )

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2003, 11:30 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
Now that's funny...

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2003, 11:30 PM

Nothing different so far. Just as "snappy" as it was before. Oh well.

ae77
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2003, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by BoulderDash:
Now that's funny...

^_^

OpenStep
Senior User
Feb 13, 2003, 11:47 PM

Has the problem with /etc/ftpchroot been fixed yet? I havn't had a chance to test it out with 10.2.4.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 12:01 AM

Originally posted by JUnderwood:
what about a direct download?
10.2.4 combo update
10.2.4 update
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Riemann Zeta
Feb 14, 2003, 12:24 AM

Just installed on my Ti 1GHz, no difference in Snappiness (TM), but then again, the TiBook was Snappy (TM) to begin with. 1280*854 2x FSAA in OpenGL looks really nice.
God is just a statistic...

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Feb 14, 2003, 12:29 AM

so i guess next on the list is Newton OS 2.1.1. maybe the -10061 error will be fixed. *crosses fingers*
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
by Sal

"A very useful feature included in the Mac OS X 10.2.4 update is the ability to execute scripts and actions when saving a document as a PDF file via the Print dialog. Documented on the AppleScript website at: www.apple.com/applescript/print/"

I created a folder in the Library named PDF Services just as the site says. I am assuming their are some scripts that can be downloaded to this folder?

How do you activate this cool feature?

Edit: OK. I enabled the new pdf button in the print menu. Anyone know where the scripts are that show up on the Apple page for this feature?

You can do any or all of four types of actions:

1) place an alias to a folder in the PDF Services folder and it becomes a destination for the saved PDF file

2) place an alias to an application in the PDF Services folder and it will allow you to open the saved PDF file with the aliased application

3) place a UNIX tool in the PDF Services folder and it will execute with the saved PDF

4) place a compiled script or an alias to a compiled script in the PDF Services folder and it will execute

Make sure your scripts have an :on open" handler to receive file refs to the saved PDF files. An example script is on the webpage. Copy this script and paste it into the Script Editor and save it as a script file. The example script will create a new email with the saved PDF file as an attachment!

Here's another version of the same script:

Code:
on open these_items tell application "Mail" set the new_message to � (make new outgoing message with properties {visible:true, content:" "}) tell the new_message tell content repeat with i from 1 to the count of these_items set this_file to item i of these_items make new attachment with properties � {file name:this_file} at � before the first character end repeat end tell end tell end tell end open
( Last edited by Sal; Feb 14, 2003 at 04:27 AM. )

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2003, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Still can't change the "Utilities" folder icon....go figure!

i always thought it was just me. wish i can change that folder....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 02:13 AM

Sal.

So, I guess the scripts may just be examples in that pop up list on the site? I am hoping they are real. Especially the compress PDF script.

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 02:19 AM

Sal.

So, I guess the scripts may just be examples in that pop up list on the site? I am hoping they are real. Especially the compress PDF script.
I thought I'd leave you guys something to do!

We'll probably post more scripts and examples over the next week or so. Until then, let's see what the creative minds on this forum come up with!

Moonray
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 02:20 AM

From http://www.apple.com/applescript/print/:
"a UNIX tool or an alias to a UNIX tool"

What qualifies as UNIX tool there, anything with executable flags set?

-

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by Moonray:
From http://www.apple.com/applescript/print/:
"a UNIX tool or an alias to a UNIX tool"

What qualifies as UNIX tool there, anything with executable flags set?

-
A tool is a file that is not an application and has at least one execute bit set. Tools can be written in C, Perl, Python, Bash, or using any other language that can create an executable file.

A UNIX tool or tool alias triggers an action by the tool on the PDF file. Tools are passed three parameters:

1) the title of the PDF document
2) a string that specifies the CUPS options for the job
3) the path to the spooled PDF file

The tool can perform any processing based on these parameters, usually creating a new file, and then the tool should delete the spooled PDF file.

Example:
The code listing shown here defines a script that executes the pdfcrypt tool available from http://www.sanface.com/pdfcrypt.html .

This code encrypts the PDF file with the password "snooker". Once the new encrypted file is created, it is opened in Preview which prompts the user for the password.

Note:
The pdfcrypt tool requires a registration fee which you must pay before you use it. It is shown here simply as an example.

Code:
#!/bin/sh # # usage: cryptpdf title options inputfile # /usr/bin/pdfcrypt -input="$3" -output="/Users/sal/$1.pdf" -pass="snooker" open -a "Preview" "/Users/sal/$1.pdf" rm "$3"

Moonray
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 02:39 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Originally posted by Sal:
1) the title of the PDF document
2) a string that specifies the CUPS options for the job
3) the path to the spooled PDF file

The tool can perform any processing based on these parameters, usually creating a new file, and then the tool should delete the spooled PDF file.
And with this additional info it becomes actually usable.

-

kcmac
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 02:41 AM

Sal.

Thanks for your replies. I don't know how to create scripts so I will just sit on the sidelines and wait for the cool stuff to show up.

Gawd, I sound lazy and greedy.

BTW. I did use your script for the email attachment. It gave me an error message (Error when printing.) but it did seem to work.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 02:56 AM

When I restarted my widescreen iMac for the first time after installing, the screen was in 1024x768 stretched format. A quick trip to Sys Prefs fixed it... but I wonder how it will be at next reboot.

Not that I do it that often...

And why do my spring loaded folders not work sometimes in the Finder? I thought it happened only when I had to Relaunch the Finder, but even now spring loaded are not working properly... that is, they work, but they don't work if I hit space bar.

I wonder if connecting to an smb server is causing it, since that's the only thing I did after rebooting. I went to "Connect to Server..." in the Finder, connected to an smb server, and they didn't work with space bar.

drjoe
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 03:40 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by plyxrbo:
[B]i am not even sure i want to use that word, but i will say that on my g4/733/512MB ram, that many functions seems quicker and less sluggish after installing 10.2.4.

Not terribly faster not certainly some. In 10.2.3 the dock was terribly 'sticky', when you ran the mouse over it various items would stick and not respond. It [dock] was kind of a nuisance. That is completely gone now. Very smooth and rapid response to a mouse-over on the dock. [G3DT/450XLR8G4/768ram].

nibs
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 04:22 AM

kcmac:
BTW. I did use your script for the email attachment. It gave me an error message (Error when printing.) but it did seem to work.

you need to have a valid printer selected otherwise it won't create the spool file (pdf) to pass to the tool.

Sal
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 04:29 AM

Sal.

Thanks for your replies. I don't know how to create scripts so I will just sit on the sidelines and wait for the cool stuff to show up.

Gawd, I sound lazy and greedy.

I revised my post, Try the simplified version, it should work.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 05:15 AM

Cool I can now log in to https sites with safari ! I'm behind a proxy and I couldn't even log in to .mac, now I can and boy am I happy

antofic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2003, 07:07 AM

The system appears to be snappier on my B&W G3 after the update...
Try to switch panels in Preferences or try Calculator.

-Q-
Feb 14, 2003, 11:19 AM

Has anyone tried updating a machine with an upgraded processor? I upgraded my iBook just fine but I'm wondering if there are any issues with a processor upgrade. Had a bit of trouble with 10.2.3 on my desktop last time.

I'd like to avoid losing 4 hours of my life to a point-release.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Has anyone tried updating a machine with an upgraded processor? I upgraded my iBook just fine but I'm wondering if there are any issues with a processor upgrade. Had a bit of trouble with 10.2.3 on my desktop last time.

I'd like to avoid losing 4 hours of my life to a point-release.
Saw something on another site (forget which) where a guy with a 1.2 in his Cube claims that 10.2.4 fixed his wake-from-sleep problem.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

carmine
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2003, 11:47 AM

some extreme weirdness is going on here. i updated my tibook to 10.2.4 without a hitch, but when i run sw update on my quicksilver, it says there are no updates to run! i trashed the sw update prefs, but no luck! arg! is anyone else having this problem?

-Q-
Feb 14, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
Saw something on another site (forget which) where a guy with a 1.2 in his Cube claims that 10.2.4 fixed his wake-from-sleep problem.

CV
That's good to know. I've had some issues with that myself. I may have to install the update for that reason and the fact that Apple finally fixed the annoying "moving desktop" bug...

Forum Links
Forum Rules