Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.6 broken Airport

10.4.6 broken Airport
macmike42
Senior User
Apr 19, 2006, 06:36 PM

Just got around to installing 10.4.6 on my 14" iBook G4 1.2 GHz. As always, I didn't do the "patch" update, I grabbed the combo install, as the patches always seems to degrade performance little by little.

Rebooted after install, everything works fine, except Airport does not work. It says connected, it has the correct IP address, Internet Connect says signal strength is 100%, but I've got no network connectivity.

Pinging my router says "host is down" (although sometimes it says "no route to host" first). The wireless router sees the iBook attached when wireless is active, and like I said the iBook gets an IP, so I am leaning towards this being a software problem.

Tried to nmap my subnet and the only host it saw was the iBook.

Tried repair permissions (I know), re-installing the combo update, and finally installing the patch update over the combo update.

While attempting to re-connect to my wireless network, the following shows up in /var/log/system.log:

Code:
Apr 19 18:25:22 bookie kernel[0]: AirPort: Link Active: "Jocasta" - 00095bcd9a38 - chan 11 Apr 19 18:25:24 bookie launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[264]: exited abnormally: Hangup Apr 19 18:25:24 bookie configd[36]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change Apr 19 18:25:24 bookie lookupd[269]: lookupd (version 369.5) starting - Wed Apr 19 18:25:24 2006
The interesting thing is that lookupd is actually getting restarted when switching networks, from what I can tell it is not crashing. (The new lookupd has different process id than the last.)

Switching to ethernet works fine.

My router is a Netgear WGR614v4.

I have *never* had any kind of problem with my iBook since the day I bought it. I've owned probably 10 Macs in my life and dozens of PCs, but this iBook has been, bar none, the most reliable computer I've ever known. This is really kind of upsetting.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 07:05 PM

With the exception of you getting an IP address, this is the exact same thing I see when I connect to an protected network but don't have the correct key.

I would do a full hard-reset of your wireless router, along with cleaning out any network configurations, and start from scratch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules