Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Newest Mozilla Build Removes Remaining Irritations

Newest Mozilla Build Removes Remaining Irritations
macmike42
Senior User
May 31, 2002, 05:19 PM

I have been using Mozilla as my primary browser for longer than OS X has been my primary OS (0.9.6 I think), but have been irritated by several long-standing bugs that have, as of yesterday (I have a script that downloads and installs the newest nightly Mozilla builds and OmniWeb sneakypeeks) been completely fixed, and I just though that if anyone else has the same irritations as me, that now is the time to upgrade to the latest nightly build (in case they re-appear at some point). The bugs fixed are as follows:

1) Every time you would let go of a resize widget the window would redraw, then expand horizontally and vertically by one pixel, then redraw again. This effectively doubled the time it takes to resize a window. This no longer happens.

2) The current URL field was slow as molasses. I thought it was autocomplete, so I turned it off, and the problem went away. Then it came back. Turned autocomplete back on, and it went away again, then came back. The URL field now is very quick regardless of what autocomplelte features you have turned on or off.

3) Possibly related to 2, typing in HTML textareas would become painfully slow after a certain amount of text was entered, this problem has not totally gone away, but as of this point in the post, the insertion point is keeping up with my 80wpm on a 300 MHz G3, so they are definitely working on it.

Cheers,
Mike
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2002, 05:30 PM

Did you go and grab MRJ Plugin 1.0 released today? I've been using Mozilla for a long time as well, and it just gets better and better.

macmike42  (op)
Senior User
May 31, 2002, 05:56 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by AKcrab:
<strong>Did you go and grab MRJ Plugin 1.0 released today? I've been using Mozilla for a long time as well, and it just gets better and better.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks for the note! I just grabbed it, although I must admit, 1.0f2 has been working fine for all my needs. I've only been checking versiontracker once a day since they "went pro" it's been sooo sloooow.

Another bug that has been fixed I just noticed: when you drag an image to the desktop, it _always_ creates a .pictClipping. It used to be that if the image was linked to something, it would create a .webloc, and if not, it would create a clipping. I would prefer an option to simply save the image file to the desktop, but this does make life easier and also allows you to drag images to other apps if they support standard drag-and-drop.

Comic book guys says, "Best 1.0 release *ever*".

ford prefect
Forum Regular
May 31, 2002, 07:16 PM

hey mike,

willing to share that script?

the entering text was the biggest pain in the rear for me. I've recently switched away from mozzilla because of window resizing and text entry, but maybe I'll switch back. Good news!

macmike42  (op)
Senior User
May 31, 2002, 08:20 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by ford prefect:
<strong>hey mike,

willing to share that script?

the entering text was the biggest pain in the rear for me. I've recently switched away from mozzilla because of window resizing and text entry, but maybe I'll switch back. Good news!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Sure, when I get a few free moments, I'll clean up the script and I'll post here when I'm done.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
May 31, 2002, 08:32 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by ford prefect:
<strong>hey mike,

willing to share that script?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, what script? I read and re-read mike's post, and I didn't see any script... I might have missed it, though. hehe?
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
May 31, 2002, 10:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by macmike42:
<strong>(I have a script that downloads and installs the newest nightly Mozilla builds and OmniWeb sneakypeeks)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That script.

Adam Price
Jun 1, 2002, 02:07 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by AKcrab:
<strong>Did you go and grab MRJ Plugin 1.0 released today? I've been using Mozilla for a long time as well, and it just gets better and better.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Ahh - you are one of the lucky ones. Someof us are stymied by the bandwidth requirements, and have no MRJ for Mozilla at all. *Sniff* (Care to email it to me? [email protected])

ablaze
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 1, 2002, 03:44 AM

If you send the MRJPlugin to me per e-mail, I will put it on my website (and no, not on my iDisk! ) for mirroring� [email protected]
Thanx

<small>[ 06-01-2002, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: ablaze ]</small>

Macanoid
Senior User
Jun 1, 2002, 11:49 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by macmike42:
<strong>I have a script that downloads and installs the newest nightly Mozilla builds and OmniWeb sneakypeeks

Cheers,
Mike</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">care to share this script with us?? sounds pretty excellent!!

bmedina
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2002, 04:31 PM

I have the new MRJ plugin mirrored on my website:
<a href="http://benmedina.dyndns.org/MRJPluginCarbon-1.0.sit" target="_blank">http://benmedina.dyndns.org/MRJPluginCarbon-1.0.sit</a>

Let me know if it doesn't work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules