Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Icon Editing and Candybar

Icon Editing and Candybar
Aluminum
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 09:47 AM

well I just tried to apply the lanham application icons through candybar, but started getting messages that it couldnt replace the address book, acquistion, and many others. Anyone else run into this? What's the best way to replace such icons as iCal and others that like to change even once you have replace the .icns file when open the package contents, ical being the main one that provides issues. Any thoughts and ideas are always welcome. Candybar issue is a little odd I think.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2004, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by Aluminum:
What's the best way to replace such icons as iCal and others that like to change even once you have replace the .icns file when open the package contents, ical being the main one that provides issues. Any thoughts and ideas are always welcome. Candybar issue is a little odd I think.
I always start replacing an app icon via the Info palette. That should take care of the Finder appearance. If the default icon still pops up in dialog/alert windows, I open the package and replace the resource itself. Untill now I had to do this on Apple's Mail and System Preferences. Well, it sounds like you've been there too.

I'd say Repair Permissions, Logout/Login, even restart (I'm not sure in what order though).

Macxine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 11:09 AM

I haven't gotten the new candybar yet, I'm getting it after I post this though. But I just duplicate the app and use the copy. The only problem is, with a few, like System prefs, if you open it using anything but the dock (like right-clicking on the desktop to change the desktop picture, instead of using the dock) it'll call up the original. Until now, I didn't really care, because when I'm done it fades out of the dock anyway, but if Candybar 2 cleans this up, that would be nicer, of course. Making duplicates gives newbie-me an alternative to doing more drastic stuff. Oh, none of this worked for me on Acquisition, though. I think you have to get brutal on that.

And, I don't know what happened, but I also use a little icon changer called Micon to change the apps. The thing is, for some, I had to make duplicates, like System preferences, and for others like Mail, Micon changed them after I used Candybar for the first time. Before, it wouldn't change the icon, and if I used the Info panel, it would revert. Now it stays. ????

Btw, hi everybody. my first post here, am an admitted daily lurker :-)
( Last edited by Macxine; Oct 8, 2004 at 11:33 AM. )

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Aluminum:
well I just tried to apply the lanham application icons through candybar, but started getting messages that it couldnt replace the address book, acquistion, and many others. Anyone else run into this?
I found if I opened the app icons in CandyBay but did not click Apply before switching to system icons I got that error. Try opening the app icons and clicking apply before doing anything else, that is what works for me.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2004, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Macxine:
The only problem is, with a few, like System prefs, if you open it using anything but the dock (like right-clicking on the desktop to change the desktop picture, instead of using the dock) it'll call up the original. I don't care, because when I'm done it fades out of the dock anyway, but for some, this might not be the best solution.
Keeping SysPrefs in the Dock permanently will solve it.

Macxine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 11:37 AM

I have Sys Prefs (copy) permanently in my dock...but when I right-click, the original starts bouncing at me. The copy stays put, doesn't open. ? Or, did you mean keeping the original?
( Last edited by Macxine; Oct 8, 2004 at 11:54 AM. )

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2004, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Macxine:
I have Sys Prefs (copy) permanently in my dock...but when I right-click, the original starts bouncing at me. The copy stays put, doesn't open. ? Or, did you mean keeping the original?
If you keep both the original SysPrefs and a copy on your HD, I wouldn't know which one opens first... So yes, I have the original, opened the package and replaced the PrefApp.icns, and finally dropped it into the Dock permanently.

If you dislike to open the package, make an alias and replace it's icon using Cmd-I, and put that in the Dock (of course with the alias arrow...)

Macxine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 12:44 PM

Lol, thanks. If I have to do it myself again, I'll do it that way.

Macxine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 01:30 PM

Just tried Candybar 2, it changed my app icons fine. And the alias, I like too, the arrow isn't that distracting, it looks like part of the icon..lol, why didn't I think of that? Out of interest - did the suggestion for restarting, logging out/in, repairing permissions help? Or the one about clicking apply first ?

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2004, 02:53 PM

but changing iCal, has anyone been successful with that? once clicking on it it loves going back to the original.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

dlanham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2004, 03:28 PM

iCal loads a seperate icon without the numbers on it when it runs, so that is what is causing that problem.

If you are using my somatic icons, I posted a fix for this on my site, but here is a link also

somatic ical fix

TheZee
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2004, 03:26 AM

What works 4 me: #1) I go to the actual app like you did and open it up to view the package contents then, as you seem to have done, #2) go through contents/resources folders to find the actual app .icns/.gif/.tiff file whichever it may be; #3) make a copy of the original icon file and store it somewhere for reference just in case you need it; #4) substitute the icon of your choice and be sure that these factors are exactly the same as the original: the permisssions are exactly the same as the original file & the file type (.gif/ .tiff/ .icns) is exactly the same. Also as you R navigating through the Contents & Resources folders make sure that you open them first using the "information" palette and change the permissions to you as owner able to read & write #5) Change the icon the way I described above then go back and return the Contents & Resources folders to the original permissions (Ownership) that they were when you first opened them up. That will definitely change anything you wish to change in an an application. If you don't do or skip any of the above steps then your icon will not hold and you'll be frustrated as hell. Good Luck Keee-Mo-Sah-Bee.
Peace,
TheZee
MacBook Aluminum Unibody, 2GHz Intel Core duo, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, OS X 10.5.7

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 22, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by dlanham:
iCal loads a seperate icon without the numbers on it when it runs, so that is what is causing that problem.

If you are using my somatic icons, I posted a fix for this on my site, but here is a link also

somatic ical fix
I just wanted to thank you for your How-to on this workaround David. Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules