Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > youtube videos on iphone & ipad safari play in foreign language

youtube videos on iphone & ipad safari play in foreign language
bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2017, 01:06 AM

When I use my iPhone and iPad to play Youtube videos via Safari the captions are in a foreign language.

For instance videos that I made had captions come up in Armenian, even though I know when I made them that I set the language to English (though I have also created captions in Armenian and several other languages for foreign audiences).

Furthermore when I randomly tried to watch someone else's video their captions came up in Arabic, even though their video was English, so I am assuming this person would have had their language captions set to English.

I asked some friends to try on their iphone and they got Armenian captions also.
However when we instead watch the Youtube videos via the Youtube video app on the iPhone and iPad it gives the correct English captions. It also gives the correct English captions if I watch these videos on Chrome on the iPhone and iPad. Also on mac computers (various browsers) it also gives the correct English captions.

So the specific problem seems to be Safari on iPhone and iPad is defaulting the captions to a foreign language and not English.

I do realise that people can change the captions to English (or whatever other language options are available in the settings) however many people do not know how to do this, therefore my concern is that they will see my video, which is supposed to be in English, but see Armenian captions and therefore decide not to watch it.

What I suspect is happening is that anyone who has several different language caption options in their videos that in the iPhone/iPad Safari it is defaulting the user to the first language caption option (in the case of my videos Armenian, and the case of others Arabic). I suspect my only option is to delete all language captions from my own videos that are before English, but as I want this video to be available in other languages that is really annoying.

However I have now deleted all other languages before English and that did solve the problem but it is really annoying because now people who speak Armenian etc do not have the opportunity to watch this in their language. Does anyone know a better solution?

I have googled and googled this issue but no one seems to be having a similar issue.

andi*pandi
Jul 8, 2017, 11:28 AM

That's odd! Do you have a link to test?

Forum Links
Forum Rules