Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is a Seagate 120gb drive storage overkill in my powerbook?

Is a Seagate 120gb drive storage overkill in my powerbook?
siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2005, 08:02 AM

Hi all,

not a power user - I'm planning on swapping out my dying 80g drive with a 120gb from seagate. But I am having 2nd thoughts about using it in this way in my PB - maybe I should just replace the 80g drive like for like and have the 120 as my portable back up?

The reasons I was leaning towards using in my 'book as I've read reviews about it being almost silent with good performance... thinking this will tide me over nicely until the Rev B MactTels come out next year...

What would you guys do?

toneloco28
Sep 26, 2005, 08:17 AM

I'm of the belief you can never have too much storage, especially in a portable. If cost isn't a issue I would definately go for the 120g. Seagates in my experiences do have the quietest drives, along with a 5 year warranty. Better to future-proof yourself in the interim. Maybe get a full 3.5 size disk for backup, as this will still be cheaper than buying a 80g, and 120g 2.5 drive size.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2005, 09:55 AM

It's not overkill, it's great! Well on the way to filling it up already.

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2005, 10:44 AM

Agreed. You can never have too much storage. Now I'm jealous...I thought 80 gb would last me forever but it doesn't matter how much space I have, I think I'll always fill it.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 11:09 AM

BWAHAHAHHAHHAHA!

No, it's never overkill.

hickey
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 07:52 PM

I've been thinking of doing the same thing, could you tell me the product number of which drive you decide on, because I am confused as to what the difference is between ATA/100, SATA/150 and NCQ.

Thanks

siflippant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2005, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
I've been thinking of doing the same thing, could you tell me the product number of which drive you decide on, because I am confused as to what the difference is between ATA/100, SATA/150 and NCQ.

Thanks
Here's the link from the dealer's website where I'm getting it from (should arrive Tuesday 27th) - ignore the mistake about it being a 7200rpm speed though (we all know it's 5400)

http://www.macheaven.co.uk/?page=proddetail&prod=7675

Hope that helps...

hickey
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 09:21 PM

Thanks, let us know how the install and everything goes for you.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 10:40 PM

ATA/100 = the interface you have now on your powerbook for HDs.
Serial ATA = a more advanced interface that few computers, and no current PowerBooks, use.
NCQ = Native Command Queing, a cool technique for data queing that can be used by systems that have Serial ATA.

So you should be buying the ATA/100 variety.

hickey
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2005, 10:51 PM

Thanks for clearing that up mrmister

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2005, 02:24 AM

i cant wait for the 200gig+ laptop drives...... then ill replace mine... go for the 120gig.. you’ll be surprised at how fast you’ll use up the extra space.

siflippant  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dakkon
i cant wait for the 200gig+ laptop drives...... then ill replace mine... go for the 120gig.. you’ll be surprised at how fast you’ll use up the extra space.
Thanks for the replies people

I am going to take my powerbook in to an Apple Service Centre so they can switch the drives. I would have a go myself (and I've tried) but the bit where you have to try to pull the tab towards you inbetween the plastic bezel and the casing [on the right above the slot loading drive] catches me out everytime. I have tried push pins and I even have a dentist's hook... but I have had no luck. It may well be down to my incompetency, but I just don't have the bottle to have a "real go" and get the top casing off... damn I miss the user accessibility of the Ti's

If any other 15" Al book users have any tips (I have followed the fixit guide over at http://www.pbfixit.com religiously) on how to crack one open I'd appreciate it. But if not, I'm going to the Service Centre this Wednesday (that's my next day off).

Thanks again for the opinions...

Forum Links
Forum Rules