Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is Your Powerbook Your Only Computer?

Is Your Powerbook Your Only Computer?
Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 04:41 PM

Is Your Powerbook Your Only Computer? If so, I would appreciate it if you could share some information with me. (I'm asking because I am considering a Powerbook but it will be my only computer if a get it.)

1. What model of Powerbook do you own?

2. What kind of backup scheme do you employ for your Powerbook?

3. Do you use encryption (or other security measures) to keep your files safe from prying eyes?

4. Is there anything about having a Powerbook as your only computer that you wish you had known prior to buying it?
Agent69

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 04:42 PM

I couldn't use a laptop as my only computer...tried it w/ the 17" PB + 23" HD Display and it was just too much hassle to hook up the external mouse/keyboard, DVI-to-ADC adapter, ethernet cable, power cable, etc. etc. everytime you wanted to use it like a desktop replacement.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2003, 04:59 PM

I am in agreement with AssassyN. I use my PB for strictly work. For home use, I have my PM and iMac.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2003, 05:00 PM

I will most likley not own a desktop until after I replace my ti-400 with a 12 inch Alu-G5 next year.

The 17, 1.33 is my main machine and with a 7200 rpm drive in it, pretty much acts like a desktop G4 would.

I don't see many progress bars on it and MAN! What a KILLER marketing tool it is.

I will have the new 12 next year made into a remote, bad weather rig for on site solar powered editing and digital photography importing. It will need to be slipped into a custom made "iSkin" like cover that alows me to use it in showery or dusty areas without corruption of it's inards.

I use three external drives for various backup and archiving:

20GB Lacie Pocket Drive.

80GB Exteranl in a firewire enclosure, hot pluggable.

200GB Lacie external for use as archiving "Light Table".

A desktop is great...but it has to stay at your desk.

I like my desk to go anywhere
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

omegahack
Oct 7, 2003, 05:14 PM

its the only computer that i have at the moment and it is the 15 inch AL superdrive. Works fine for me.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 05:26 PM

1. Powerbook G4 400
2. Copy my Home drive contents to a firewire drive every once in a while
3. No
4. No. Love this machine.

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 05:30 PM

1. What model of Powerbook do you own? 12"/1g/combo drive

2. What kind of backup scheme do you employ for your Powerbook? old pc notebook, and family's desktop

3. Do you use encryption (or other security measures) to keep your files safe from prying eyes? haven't figured out how to do that yet...

4. Is there anything about having a Powerbook as your only computer that you wish you had known prior to buying it?
yea, like how awesome it is! I would've bought it sooner had I known!

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 05:32 PM

I sold my 2ghz pc when I got my new 15" 1,25ghz powerbook.
And I'm glad I did.
It just rocks.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 7, 2003, 05:32 PM

This is my only computer, a PB17 revA.

I have to disagree, setting up with an Apple Cinema display is very fast. I use an airport hub, so the only connections are power, monitor, and the usb cable to my display. The KB, mouse, and printer go thru the keyboard as a USB hub. If you had a BT kb and mouse, it would mean only 2 connections (power and monitor).

This connection takes about the same time as docking an TiPB.

I use CCC and an external HD for backup. My biggest concern is losing my data when I travel, so I always do a complete backup before I board a plane.

My main practical issue is that when this machine is not functioning properly, it means I have to borrow another. When I have 2 machines, I just work on one.

The main advantage to a single machine is I have all of my files together at the same time. I never have to worry if I left something at work I need at home, etc.

As for speed, these machines are severely limited by the HD speed and size compared to desktops. With limited video work, I have 50 GB of legitimate files on my machine, and the only fast HD option is a 60 GB 7200 Hitachi drive.

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 05:46 PM

My PowerBook is all I got. I have a G4 Cube and a Dell at work but mainly use my private laptop. It's a Li'l Al 12".

No backup schedules....
No special encryptions...
But I keep the Firewall running...
And the really important data I keep on both computers.

I wish I could use the laptop strictly for work and have a PM or iMac at home, but money talks...

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 05:52 PM

Agent69: I disagree with AssassyN. It all depends on you and how you use your PowerBook and what you use it for.

What model of Powerbook do you own?
PowerBook Ti 667

What kind of backup scheme do you employ for your Powerbook?
I just got Synchronize! Pro X 3.0.5.

Do you use encryption (or other security measures) to keep your files safe from prying eyes?
No, I haven't felt the need to do so since I don't have sensitive data that I need to worry about.

Is there anything about having a Powerbook as your only computer that you wish you had known prior to buying it?
Keep reading and researching this forum as well as the web. Know what you're able to live with and can't live with. For instance and these are just examples, because not all have these problems:

12" Rev. A - heat issue
12" Rev. B - some slight wobble issues
15" Ti - paint flaking, loud fans
15" Al - white spots on screen, battery life(?)

**** Again, these are simply examples of what some users have experienced or reported. YMMV. No product is perfect but I think overall, the Apple PowerBooks are well made and will last.

Oh and the part about hooking up wires and unhooking wires is very simple for me. I have Airport and so it's really quick and painless to come and go. I also type straight on the PowerBook keyboard. I don't see the need to buy an additional keyboard when I have a perfectly good one built in to my PowerBook.

Good luck on your decision. I think you'll be very happy to find out that the Apple PowerBooks can and do serve as desktop replacements.

acadian
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 06:13 PM

Ti 800 DVI soon to be 17 Al 1.33. This is my primary workhorse and I could not imagine being bound to a desk. I am on the road constantly and I somehow manage to maintain my workload of 6 very large corporate clients quite well, despite how insane my deskbound, G5 jockey colleagues think I am. I think the lack of power as opposed to a desktop is compensated for by the sheer mobility. i work in coffe houses, bus terminals, subway cars...it makes no difference. My ability to get work done for my clients at a moments notice is what keeps me in business.
people ruin everything....

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2003, 06:37 PM

I have my 17" and a Lombard, so it's two PBs for me. I have no problem with using a PB, in fact it works perfectly for me. The 17" is basically a portable desktop, to use the cliche, which for college life works perfectly. I don't use any encryption software besides school mandated pieces for email and account logins. I have an external 120 GB hard drive that I use to back up things every once in a while, but I keep the amount of files on my HD very limited.

The only thing I wish I knew about was the corrosion bit. Sigh.

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

James L
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 07:08 PM

I seem to recall something in the WWDC keynote about Panther(10.3) encrypting on the fly. Someone a bit more "in the know" might be able to shed more light on the subject.

CrackedButter
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 07:21 PM

I've got an IBook at the moment as my main machine and will be getting a PB soon, my backup will be my iPod and Backup program from Apple.
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not and add what is uniquely your own." - Bruce Lee

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 07:36 PM

I haven't owned a desktop since I bought a Pismo more than 4 years ago (until that point I had owned 4 desktop Macs starting with the original Mac II).

1. I'm currently using a 12" Powerbook.

2. For backup, I use Synchronize Pro X and an external firewire hard drive. It's a nice setup -- plug the drive in, Synchronize Pro launches, copies, quits, and unmounts the drive all automatically.

3. No, but at some point I will probably give FileVault a shot.

As far as I'm concerned, I may never buy another desktop Mac again. Syncing files is such a pain. I hook up an external monitor to fix the only minor drawback (screen real estate).

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 7, 2003, 08:04 PM

I have a 12" Powerbook that is my main computer (still have my G4 upgraded Pismo, but barely use it). I use it connected to a 17" LCD much of the time, and I agree it's a little bit of a hassle to connect and unconnect, but not too bad. It's what, 20-30 seconds to connect everything?

I use .Mac backup and a custom Applescript I wrote to backup my files to a couple of different firewire drives and to my iDisk (I only backup my work-in-progress files to the iDisk, but do more to the hard disks). I also have an old FW hard drive that I use only for backups. I occasionally use carbon copy cloner to make a complete copy of my hard disk, just in case. It's worked out well. I've used Powerbooks as my only computers for years.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 09:00 PM

I used 4 models of Powerbook as my primary computer. Currently I am using a 1.25GHz G4.

None, I keep some stuff on my USB keychain drive and some MP3s and Photos that I burned on a CD a while ago.

3. Do you use encryption (or other security measures) to keep your files safe from prying eyes?

Nope.

Nothing that I could think of. If you are going to buy one in the store, I could definitely open it up there to see if there are any defects.

Goodluck, it is a great machine.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 09:08 PM

a lowly pismo...my only computer. thinking about moving to a 12" (&ext lcd monitor)

some stuff to an external fw drive, and...lots of cds.

just login.

no...went from a desktop and have never looked back! love when i work at my girlfriends house, or my favorite coffeebar
(or the couch, or bed...or my desk!)

laptops rule
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2003, 09:15 PM

Ti 1 GHz, Superdrive. prior to that I worked exclusively on an iBook, and before that a sub-notebook VAIO with a 10" screen.

I have an old B+W G3 stuffed with hard drives that I use for backup via CVS and rsync. But a really good solution is, as others have mentioned, to just get a big ole external firewire drive. Back up to it, unplug it, and store it somewhere safe. DVDs are good too for archiving things that don't change, like photos.

No encryption on the machine. Nothing sensitive, really and the backups ensure that even if the PB gets ripped off, I won't lose the really valuable stuff.

Nope. Working on a laptop as your sole machine is a beautiful thing. It doesn't take up an entire room when you are home - nice and simple.

riverfreak
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2003, 09:18 PM

One thing I forgot to mention that I haven't seen in any posts above:

If you use both a Desktop AND a laptop, there is this constant struggle of keeping files and versions up-to-date. Although there are software solutions for this kind of thing, this becomes a tremendous hassle.

In these situations, I think you tend to rely on one machine more than the other. Then you get into a situation where you are frantically trying to get all requisite project files onto your laptop before you travel somewhere, only to discover midflight that you left some critical library on your desktop. Doh! Where are those free drink coupons?

Having just a laptop makes life so much easier.

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 09:42 PM

Hey all,

I used to only have my PB as my system, and I found it very hard to use it on a desk before I bought the MS BT kyb and mouse (would now buy the apple branded) and the iCurve. Before those products my wrists would really hurt and I would usually have it on my lap. I recently (couple months), but a pimped out cube and now use that when I need to things that dont need my lovely pb and such... Get those three things if you are going only with a notebook...

1) iCurve
2) MS/Apple BT Keyboard
3) MS/Apple BT Mouse

Oh yea, I have a rev. A 17" pb and still love it, but now the cube takes some of its time with me

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 09:53 PM

I use one of my TiPB as main computer, but use an old g4 450 for a server and several old PBs that I refuse to sell at cheap prices as

1. Kitchen receipe center

2. Hallway memo pad for notes to family

3. 2 PB 5300c as picture gallery to show VCDs

4. 2300C for a typewriter

5. Still looking for other uses for old PBs in closet.

All are connected by either ethernet or Airport.

I do because I can!

RealMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2003, 10:17 PM

I still have access to our family computer, a Dell.

1. PowerBook G4/1GHz/60gb/combo/768mb ram/ airport extreme

2. I have a 160Gb 7200rpm external Maxtor Firewire drive. I hope all my data is fine on it, I haven't accessed it in close to a month.

3. I do use the 128-bit AES encryption for various sensitive files. If you need something more advanced, I would try Crypt 2 (512-bit, but a whole lot slower iirc). MacOSX 10.3 will have a feature called File Vault that will build encryption into the user's home directory. Not entirely sure how it works, but it will offer a lot for laptop users.

4. It's way too early to say right now, in reference to having a PowerBook as my only computer. What I could say about the ibook when I tried to use it as my primary system is that it was way too slow. This was on an iBook/800 system with a 30Gb hd, radeon 7500 mobility, 100MHz system bus iirc. The Powerbook will be much faster.

If I had a PB as my only system and something went wrong with it requiring me to send it in for repair, I might be royally pissed off. My campus has an open computing lab which makes things a little easier to deal with. The current g4 powerbooks offer a lot that previous portables lacked in terms of flexibility.
It is in the moments of decision that your destiny is shaped.
www.therealmac.net
MBA Graduate, Creative Thinker, Nice Guy

variable06
Oct 7, 2003, 11:15 PM

1. Mine is a 12 inch Rev. A with 640MB/60GB/Combo and AE. It is my main machine, replacing a G3 upgraded 8600.

2. So far I don't have any type of backup aside from CD-RW's, I should probably change that.

3. I've been using Panther's FileVault encryption and a copy of Norton AntiVirus from my university as security measures.

4. I thought that I'd regret losing all that screen space going from the 8600's LCD to the 12 inch screen but the portability and speed of the PB completely outweigh that for me. It's an amazing machine and without a doubt the best one I've owned

Jason

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Oct 7, 2003, 11:17 PM

When I got my first 15" PowerBook I thought it would be a supplementary beast - maybe I'd use it a lot, but I had a lot of dependancy on my desktop PC (especially for a lot of programs I had written myself).

Very VERY quickly I began to use my 15" PowerBook fulltime. I then ugpraded her with another, I threw out (literally, I tossed them in the bin) several of my PCs and all my parts, I sold my good PC, and then I pre-ordered one of the first 17" PowerBooks sold in Adelaide.

Would never go back to using a desktop - my 17" PowerBook is my sole machine (15" sits around doing nothing). Not sure what others find difficult about it - it is insanely awesome to simply have that thin sexy beast sitting on the desk. All that's plugged in is the power cord and wireless mouse receiver (but when a decent TWO button scroll wheel bluetooth mouse comes out, the receiver can go) - network is via my airport base station.

Has never been a problem for me - but has constantly been an advantage. For example sometimes I desperately want to watch something on TV but need to do work - then suddenly realise duh, just pickup my PowerBook and take it over to the couch. Working in bed, sometimes even outside, and certainly when I go away anywhere - awesome to have your entire work environment with you as if you were at your desk.

yg17
Oct 7, 2003, 11:36 PM

Well, my iBook is my only computer that I use, so close enough

1. What model of Powerbook do you own? iBook 900MHz

2. What kind of backup scheme do you employ for your Powerbook? backup important stuff on CDs or iPod

3. Do you use encryption (or other security measures) to keep your files safe from prying eyes? No, except the pr0n collection is on an encrypted DMG, I still live with the parents

4. Is there anything about having a Powerbook as your only computer that you wish you had known prior to buying it? Yes, one button trackpads suck. (But an MX700 at home fixes that)

wavegroom
Oct 7, 2003, 11:47 PM

1. in 1-2 weeks a powerbook G4 1.25 alu, stage being assembled
2. daily rsync (in fink) of my home drive on my home linux server, or ditto --rsrc for external hard disks
3. no... good idea
4. I can tell it in two weeks

I'm using a linux box as second computer and waiting for the powerbook to upgrade my ibook
Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk

PowerMatt
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 12:46 AM

1. Aluminum PowerBook 15" 1.25GHz

2. I use Apple's Backup 2.0 Beta for non-document files (mostly preferences and bookmarks), for documents I use my desktop as a sever and manually sync files when I need to. I've only had my PB for a few days so I have yet to see if this archival/backup system is good enough for me.

3. I use a Netgear 812.11g wireless router with 128bit encription enabled.

4. N/A

I have a PowerMac 733 and a Pentium 2 466 running Red Hat 9 for desktops. I haven't turned on my Red Hat box in two months. After my .Mac expires next October (2004), it will probable turn into an IMAP server and will reside with my friend who will be purchasing a DSL line with a static IP.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

x user
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
Is Your Powerbook Your Only Computer? If so, I would appreciate it if you could share some information with me. (I'm asking because I am considering a Powerbook but it will be my only computer if a get it.)

12" PB 1ghz now, Previously:

iBook 800 Combo
Cube 540 Radeon
iBook 500 DVD (OCed)
iBook 366 DVD
iMac 400DVSE
Other macs

18GB external Firewire drive

Just password for OSX, don't take the machine out of my house that much.

Trackpad is BAD for gaming. Battery life isn't as advertised.

tritonus
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 02:27 AM

1. Yes, it's my only computer. Model: see sig.

2. Backup to CDRW every few weeks.

3. No encryption. But I will use it with OS X 10.3 (built-in)

4. No, it's just perfect.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2003, 09:26 AM

I use a 1ghz TiBook (combo) see sig for full specs.

I have Disk Copy create a DMG of my home dir weekly to an external firewire drive, the drive is a RAID1 hardware box, see link in sig for full specs on it. Basicly for me to loose all of my data I have to have three hard disks fail on me.

Na, nothing in the way of secret stuff on my laptop, i mean sure you're welcome to my uni assignments if you care that much

Na it's great to use.

As an amendum. I also have a unix box (Digital Alpha) out the back that all my email sits on (accessable via imap) and has my internet connection and what not on it, shared with other people.

I don't think I'd ever be able to go back to using a desktop again, as i said in an interview today when the guy asked me about the laptop. With the laptop as my primary machine I know that I've got all my data with me, no panic attacks that I've left a file on the desktop that i need and what not.

Also I think AssassyN rationalise his hardware a bit I personally use the internal LCD of my laptop for the main display (hell i used to run 2 17" CRT's and the loss in realestate didn't worry me that much) My laptop has 3 cables plugged into it, USB to my MS Natural Keyboard, which as the bluetooth adaptor and mouse plugged into the back of it. And the speaker and power cable. I use wireless to access the network at home, much easier than dealing with an ethernet cable.

Almost 12 months as a switcher, no regrets and the machine is still going strong, 2 more years of service isn't out of this realm!
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

scott brown
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 01:36 PM

i currently own a 12 inch powerbook and a 17 inch powerbook. no more tower

before the 17, i had a g4 tower with 2 17 inch monitors. sold all that for the 17 inch PB and couldn't be happier.
12in PB 867/640/60/SD/AE
17in PB 1.33/1GB/80(5400rpm)

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 03:12 AM

1. PowerBook G4 (last titanium) 15" with 1GHz, Superdrive, 1GB RAM.

2. I have two external Firewire drives, on one of them I've partition enough space to make a full backup from the PowerBook's 60GB harddisk.

3. I never let my PowerBook out of my sight, but *IF* I know someone would pry around I'd just log out and they can't do anything unless with my permission. Another alternative is to have a "guest" account with limited permission. But mostly I never let anyone touch my Mac!

4. The fans was something that I was surprised about. I previously owned a Pismo (G3/400 PowerBook) and that machine was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Hopefully the new models of the 15" PowerBooks has sorted that problem out. Other than that I don't really regret a minute that I bought my PowerBook. I only regret I couldn't afford an external flat-screen to match while working at home.... but Christmas is comming!
/Petra

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2003, 01:07 PM

Yes, this is my only computer, since I don't use my pc anymore. Haven't touch the thing for almost a year. This is my first Mac as well.

1. Rev. A 17" Powerbook

2. I use backup app from .Mac, as well as back up all my files on DVDs. I'll buy a external firewire 800 HD once I can afford it... I want to get at least the 200 gig version.

3. Yes, I did make a encryption folder that has my important docs in it, and other personal information stuff.

4. Not really... I had a good idea of what I am getting into. I am very happy with this.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 01:14 PM

Yes it is my only computer.
1. Powerbook AL 1.25, 512 Ram
2. Backup? Errr, I suppose that means i should get some.
3. My security consists of carrying it with me at all times, but i should learn to lock my files somehow.
4. Not really, its a great computer, and I love using it.
Hi!

djjava
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 01:30 PM

1. RevA PB17
2. I'm going to buy an external drive soon, probably a Lacie d2 120gb.
3. No encryption. I keep it locked at home with the Kensington SlimMicro.
4. I wish I had known that I my PC I switched from would be truly collecting dust. I anticipated using it as a backup machine and using it for AutoCAD, but since May... the PC has been under a desk, unplugged. dormant. the PB17 is so fantastic.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

mbperk
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 03:08 PM

Powerbook 17 1GHZ

.mac

Not yet.

No.

---------------------------------------

I had a 15" iMac with my PB for a while, and the iMac got little (wife used it to check email) or no use at all. I decided to sell it for that reason.

I now use my PB all the time. I just bought VPC for it, and I replaced (using it only for Quickbooks, and a Payroll program) my PC at work. I do have a yearning for the new Powermac, but I know that I will likely not use that either. Therefore, I am waiting for the rumored displays to hook it to my PB at the house.

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 07:47 AM

Thanks for all of the great replies. I'm in the middle of deciding what kind of new Mac I'm going to get and this was a big help.
Agent69

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 08:29 AM

Go for the laptop!

I have two computers at home, my new 15" Al (which replaced a Rev. A Ti500) and a dual celery 500 PC. Basically the PC is only used as my final email repository. This will probably have to change because I'm getting tired of booting it up just to download all my email when I have copies on my PB.

I personally love having all my stuff available to me wherever I go.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 08:52 AM

1. 867 MHz 12" G4 PowerBook

2. All important info is backed up on my G4 iMac

3. No particular security measures
-No broadband
-No Airport
-Book only leaves the house once or twice a week
-Book only left in trunk if left in vehicle
-I know these are all poor excuses

4. I love my Book, but don't think it could go solo w/that 12" screen
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 03:02 AM

Definitely not my only Mac, but for the next several months it will be as I am planning to move away from Japan.

Powerbook 12" rev.b
.mac and cd-r(w)/dvd-r(w)
Write to encrypted disc image (.dmg) and burning .dmg to cd-r(w)/dvd-r(w)
I bought my PB 12" without BTO because of time constraints fully aware of drive size restrictions. I got a great deal because of it (the points back I got on the "standard" model more or less covered the cost of the Extreme card and additional memory) but I am now looking at an external Firewire 80GB bus-powered unit for more space.

Ruffcat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 07:05 AM

I use a 867 Ti book with 17" cinema display, and wireless keyboard and mouse - which caused me much grief to set up until I realised my bluetooth usb was faulty. (I traded up from an ibook about 6 months ago).

I have broadband internet via airport.

I back up to cd once or twice a week depending on what I've been doing, and will shortly be backing up to my old ipod (I just bought a new 15 gig which was discounted due to the new models).

I don't use any encrpytion.

If I'd realised how wonderful the 15" Ti book was, I would have bought one much earlier (ditto airport system).

Ruffcat

doubtingtom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 07:51 AM

There are computers in this world other than the Powerbooks?

Buy an external monitor.
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

dantley
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2003, 03:28 AM

I use my PowerBook mostly for school work. I don't think I would want to have my laptop be my primary machine. At home I use a Dual G5 with a 20" Apple display. The power difference between the two in productivy/design related apps is enough to keep my PowerBook off of my desk.

As a counter, I do have a new Dell Centrino laptop that the company I work for gave to me. This serves as a design and development machine. I use that as a desktop replacement with a mouse, keyboard, and lcd monitor attached. It's still slower than the dell workstation that preceeded it.

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 18, 2003, 04:16 PM

1. Is Your Powerbook Your Only Computer?

2. What model of Powerbook do you own?

3. What kind of backup scheme do you employ for your Powerbook?

4. Do you use encryption (or other security measures) to keep your files safe from prying eyes?

5. Is there anything about having a Powerbook as your only computer that you wish you had known prior to buying it?
Hmmm....
1. Nope - see below. I probably could get away with using just this device - but it's nice to have others. And, of course, there's the issue of there being a ton more applications for Windows.
2. 17" Rev A - it's great.
3. Dantz Retrospect - incremental backups every week from all devices to the Dell Server. It's great as it works for both Windows & Macs.
4. Yes - locked doors, firewall, passwords on the machines.
5. Nope.

Forum Links
Forum Rules