Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Tribute to Pismo

Tribute to Pismo
pete
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 03:24 PM

Because my tibook's display just failed (see below), I'm using my girlfriend's pismo 400/10gig/640mb with panther. I love it and miss it! I used to use this computer several years ago but have been using tibooks since they came out. This computer is soon four years old and runs like a charm and has never had a single problem, except for the battery that died six months agon.

pluses:

beautiful, organic and round design that feels nice wherever you touch or rest your hands. Doesn't have the rough edges that the tibook has.

Good, rounded, comfortable trackpad button with excellent feedback, unlike the flat one on recent powerbooks

Virtually silent and doesn't run hot, unlike most newer ones which are hot and have fans that make noise

Great keyboard with good tactile feedback - the new powerbooks are better, but up until the tibook,I think the pismo keyboards were the best (maybe wallstreet was better, but the machine was so heavy and big)

Excellent sound, certainly better than tibooks, maybe not as good as albooks?

Media bay and ability to have two batteries, I can get seven hours easily with two batteries!

Single battery life of 3.5 hours of honest use

Nice size, although with today's miniaturization it could be thinner.

Negatives:

It's hard to think of any but:

hinge design not the greatest (what's up with Apple and hinges?) although this one has no problems at all. Obviously the latest powerbooks are much better in this regard. I think they finally found a design that works! My old 540c in 1995 had hinge problems so it took them a while!! Bravo!

LCD not as crisp and bright as new ones

What can I say, when I started using this computer this morning, I felt very nostalgic. We have faster processors, faster video, greater hard drives, better LCDs etc, but in some ways these pismos were so much more pleasant to use: organic design, expandibility, cool running, great airport reception, double firewire ports etc...

Anyway, I really love this computer and, surprisingly, don't miss my tibook 1ghz, although of course I miss the speed and snappiness.
( Last edited by pete; Feb 4, 2004 at 03:37 PM. )

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2004, 03:28 PM

Pismo... Greatest notebook ever made.

I miss mine to death...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ingeniero
Feb 4, 2004, 04:02 PM

The Pismo is my current powerbook with Panther and I love it.

I may retire it when Rev B of the Albook 15 comes out with or without the G5. Then I'll retire that and get a Rev B G5 powerbook.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2004, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by ingeniero:

I may retire it when Rev B of the Albook 15 comes out with or without the G5. Then I'll retire that and get a Rev B G5 powerbook.
Whatever you do, don't actually get rid of the Pismo. You will never be able to let go once it is gone.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 06:51 PM

Hot damn, my Pismo is so secksy. I've only had it three years ago, but summer of 2003 I upgraded it to 900 mhz G3... man this thing flies in Panther. Woohoo! The Pismo is definitely a nice machine, I can do everything with this guy!

edit: Adium 2 == win;
( Last edited by [APi]TheMan; Feb 4, 2004 at 07:44 PM. )
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2004, 07:11 PM

400mhz g3 pismo, 320m ram, 30gb toshiba hd, panther 10.3.2....i got it august of 2000 and i cannot imagine ever letting it go, even to sell for money to buy a newer computer. i love it so much!

EDIT: lol two adium 2 signatures
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

esuebrown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by ingeniero:

Then I'll retire that and get a Rev B G5 powerbook.

If and when............................ keep me in mind if you sell ! I have a lombard and love it..... and would be interested in upgrading to pismo

sue

jools
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 08:21 PM

My Pismo 500mhz was stolen last month in San Francisco - it travelled the world for three years, had been mistreated by all and sundry, but still remained strong to the last...

Currently borrowing a Pismo 400mhz with a dodgy screen while I debate whether to buy another Pismo or Al15"?

I'll get the bastard.

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2004, 08:55 PM

Yes the Pismo, whew what can I say. My old 400 Mhz Macalina pet name for my pismo was a bundle of joy. I remember when it was first presented to me as a gift back in 2000. Also my Pismo, was my introduction into the wonderful world of Apple, which eventuallyl led me here to you guys. Let me see Macalina took me through the completion of four albums, one movie, two documentaries, college, a mini world tour, a rocky relationhip and countless of DVD's.

Around the beginning 2003, my Pismo finally died on me and up until last Tuesday I had to get by on a Gateway ugh!

I like my 15-inch Alpb powerbook a lot but it does not compare to my Pismo........

Power To The Pismo

toshigen
Feb 4, 2004, 10:15 PM

I bought my Pismo when they first came out and still use it for graphic/web design... it's a little slow compared to newer machines but gets the job done and is very reliable, especially with OS X.

I won't be replacing it until Apple starts selling G5 powerbooks...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2004, 10:29 PM

i've had my pismo/400 for 2 1/2 years
(20g 5400rpm ibm hd, 768m ram, airport, etc)

had to replace the logic board, but...
runs 10.3.2 beautifully, great, perfect screen.

still, not as fast as a the new pbs, so...

gonna replace it soon.

great pb!!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 12:20 AM

My wife has my old Pismo. I 'upgraded' to a TiPB, but missed the Pismo immediately. This PB17 is the first machine that comes close to the 'ol Pismo in design. Couldn't wait to get rid of the noisy and hot TiPB.

But then again, our 4 year old Pismo's screen, keyboard, and case look almost new.

This PB17 has several dents, scratches, and at least two small white spots from something internal in the screen pressing from behind (no obvious dents there, however).

If I trusted the G3 900 MHz upgrades, we'd have already bought one.

My wife has already warned me that she won't give up the Pismo! No interest in a G4 PB at all.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2004, 02:41 AM

I loved that fact that I didn't have to worry about white spots or heat issues with my Pismo (400MHz, 10 gigs, 640ram, Airport, DVD/CD and Zip disk drive, and extra battery. I couldnt believe I sold it for $700 dollars, but I needed a faster machine and finally got it in my beautiful 12 inch. I wish I could've kept my Pismo and bought the 12 to go along side of it, but alas I am a college student who is in desperate need of any $ available. Hope whoever has my Pismo now treats it the way I did.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

doubtingtom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2004, 03:02 AM

My girlfriend also has my old Pismo and I get a little nostaligic everytime I use it to upgrade or fix something for her.

What I am most impressed is how people are still using it. I have moved on twice (TiBook 400 for a song - and then a real upgrade to a 12inch DVI). I would like to have that kind of discipline when it comes to computer purchases.

I certainly push the 1ghz G4 in my PowerBook, but there isn't anything I do on this machine that I couldn't do (granted with a little extra patience) with that old Pismo.

Kudos to the Pismo faithful.
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

Dr.Michael
Feb 5, 2004, 05:49 AM

I sold my 500 MHz Pismo last year. That was a very very very bad mistake.

The TiBook replacement und now the 12 inch AlBook/1GHz are not nearly as good.

If I had known that its so easy and cheap to replace the screen backlights (mine were very dim after 3 years of heavy use)...

sigh

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 07:57 AM

Sold my Pismo 500 last July to a Macnn member for my Rev A AL17", I miss it and was solid as a rock, it is the best Apple Laptop made but the 17" is not too shabby either
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

MickS
Senior User
Feb 5, 2004, 10:53 AM

Still have my Pismo 500, it's currently being used by my six year old. I've graduated through a TiBook to a nice 17" AlBook.

It's still a wonderful laptop, much better wireless reception than the TiBook but couldn't handle the DVD production that I was doing. Still a good workhorse though. No I don't want to get rid of it.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 11:03 AM

The funny thing is that we've tried to get rid of it twice. The first time, we were waiting for somebody at Starbucks who was going to buy it. He called and cancelled. The second time, we actually sold it to a guy and a day later he called saying that the dvd drive wasn't working properly so he returned it to us. It was one of the LG drives that had problems but it had never ever had a problem before that one time. Luckily it was replaced by apple under our visa warranty extension. So there was actually a problem, but very minor.

Every time we were unsuccessful selling it, our desire to keep it was further strengthened! We've learned our lesson and won't try again.

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
I loved that fact that I didn't have to worry about white spots or heat issues with my Pismo (400MHz, 10 gigs, 640ram, Airport, DVD/CD and Zip disk drive, and extra battery. I couldnt believe I sold it for $700 dollars, but I needed a faster machine and finally got it in my beautiful 12 inch. I wish I could've kept my Pismo and bought the 12 to go along side of it, but alas I am a college student who is in desperate need of any $ available. Hope whoever has my Pismo now treats it the way I did.
Wow . . .the Pismo sure has its fans! Now you've got me wondering about replacing my dead Lombard with a used Pismo instead buying a brand new ibook. . .(I know, I know--this is the powerbook forum but the ibooks are in my price range).

So after reading your posts I went to ebay and there are quite a few Pismos ranging from $350-$550. The cost to repair my Lombard is $300-$400, so with these rave and nostalgic reviews I'm wondering if it would be prudent to get a good used one and hold off on a new ibook.

My reservations in getting a used computer at a third of the cost of a new one is that I'll end up inheriting some major breakdowns that are soon to come along and end up spending more to keep it running . . .. . . is it like a good old car, it serves you well, but then it's time does come and it starts costing a bundle to keep running so accept it and let it go?

So what major problems could I anticipate having if I go with a used Pismo and I'm curious after reading so many posts here from people who lament the loss or end of their Pismo why you don't get another one.

appreciate hearing more,

ClaraT

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 5, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
Wow . . .the Pismo sure has its fans! Now you've got me wondering about replacing my dead Lombard with a used Pismo instead buying a brand new ibook. . .(I know, I know--this is the powerbook forum but the ibooks are in my price range).

So after reading your posts I went to ebay and there are quite a few Pismos ranging from $350-$550. The cost to repair my Lombard is $300-$400, so with these rave and nostalgic reviews I'm wondering if it would be prudent to get a good used one and hold off on a new ibook.

My reservations in getting a used computer at a third of the cost of a new one is that I'll end up inheriting some major breakdowns that are soon to come along and end up spending more to keep it running . . .. . . is it like a good old car, it serves you well, but then it's time does come and it starts costing a bundle to keep running so accept it and let it go?

So what major problems could I anticipate having if I go with a used Pismo and I'm curious after reading so many posts here from people who lament the loss or end of their Pismo why you don't get another one.

appreciate hearing more,

ClaraT
A Pismo in that price range would be great. And IMO, the Pismo not only outclasses the iBooks, but also the current PowerBooks. It is simply a different beast.

As far as breakdowns, I would tend to think that you're more likely to have a number of kinks and/or breakdowns within the first year of purchasing a brand new machine such as an iBook, than you would if you purchased a Pismo that has already been hardened by battle.

And I really can't see you actually haveing any 'problems'. The only problem you might get is a battery that is at the end of it's life. But the Pismo that I had bought last year still held a solid 3 hour charge.

Frankly, being a Lombard person, I think you would be much happier with a Pismo and a 900MHz G3 processor upgrade than you would be with an iBook. I don't think QuartzExtreme is worth the step down in class and build quality. And besides, a Pismo is something special... as you can see here. You'll never own an iBook that has as devoted of a following as the Pismo does.

As to your question why I don't get another: I will, soon enough. Need to get myself in the black financially before I even consider purchasing a 'fun' machine.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 05:18 PM

After looking at the ibooks in the Apple Store, I'd say go with a Pismo! The ibooks feel so cheap in comparison, the screens are dim, the plastics cheap, the keyboard flexes (even on the new G4 ibooks it was warped upward) and the expansion possibilities very limited. The pismo is better in every way except graphics card and speed - but if what you do is email, internet, word processing, basic digital photo etc, then pismo is really a far superior machine in my opinion. For $350 you simply can't go wrong.

Good luck!

rjc3
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 06:07 PM

my $.02:

I have used my pismo heavily for the past 4 years. While I agree that it is without question the best apple notebook produced and I would be loathe to part with it, I think the current iBooks are a much better value and would much rather have a shiny new iBook G4 than an old used pismo.
Big reasons: Graphics - 8mb chip on Pismo is simply anemic in today's world of computing.
Garageband compatability - GB is a dog on my pismo, and runs much smoother on my gf's ibook g4.
Warranty - book is covered, pismo, even with applecare, is unwarranteed.
G4 processor - iBook will be much faster, even if you upgrade your pismo with g4 chip.
plus, iBook supports airport extreme, bluetooth, usb 2 (i think, someone correct me if I'm mistaken), etc.
Also, I find the keyboard and screen on the ibook to be superior to the pismo. especially given how dim most pismo screens become after a few years of good use. The 14" ibook screen looks great to me.
now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't sell my pismo and put the money towards an iBook - but between buying a new ibook and an old pismo, I wouldn't even have to think twice - get the iBook.

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by rjc3:
my $.02:

I have used my pismo heavily for the past 4 years. While I agree that it is without question the best apple notebook produced and I would be loathe to part with it, I think the current iBooks are a much better value and would much rather have a shiny new iBook G4 than an old used pismo.
Big reasons: Graphics - 8mb chip on Pismo is simply anemic in today's world of computing.
Garageband compatability - GB is a dog on my pismo, and runs much smoother on my gf's ibook g4.
Warranty - book is covered, pismo, even with applecare, is unwarranteed.
G4 processor - iBook will be much faster, even if you upgrade your pismo with g4 chip.
plus, iBook supports airport extreme, bluetooth, usb 2 (i think, someone correct me if I'm mistaken), etc.
Also, I find the keyboard and screen on the ibook to be superior to the pismo. especially given how dim most pismo screens become after a few years of good use. The 14" ibook screen looks great to me.
now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't sell my pismo and put the money towards an iBook - but between buying a new ibook and an old pismo, I wouldn't even have to think twice - get the iBook.
Great! It's 2 to 1 in favor of the Pismo. . .thanks (I think?)

The reason I'm hesitant to get a used Pismo is because my Lombard just quit, full out stopped--screen went blank and I can not get it to come back on. Four different (all Apple) repair sources said it would cost $300-$400 to repair if not more and they said it was a problem with the power. It was new in Feb. 2000, had been babied all its life and I really loved it's strength and grace. . . .and believe I would love a Pismo even more based on the reviews and sentiments.

So that's what I'm concerned about--the Pismos are around the same age as my Lombard (4 yrs., right?) and even though some of you guys have moved on from yours, perhaps the powerbooks at this age just die. If I pick up one for $300-$400 then have the same power problem there's another $300 or $400 and well you can do the math. . . .

on the other hand--I could get one that keeps running like the champ you all say it is. Who knows?

thanks all,

ClaraT

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 08:01 PM

I think generally speaking the pismo is a better computer than Lombard. Lombard seemed to be a sort of transition computer between the old architecture of teh wallstreet (no usb, firewire etc) and the new usb/firewire pismos. There are lots of problems with lombard and macos x, for example, while the pismo has none as far as I know.

Anyway, I understand your hesitation. Nobody can guarantee that your pismo will keep going, but let's say you get two years out of it and you pay 300-400 for it. that's pretty good and the odds are high that you would be able to use it for a few years too, provided that it's been well maintained and loved. Even though the speed is not as good as current powerbooks, I think that with lots of ram, these are still very functional computers and incredibly stable in all ways, including design and durability. I've been using a ghz tibook and I would be happy using this pismo again for my daily basic work (internet, email, word processing, excel, ichat, basic digital photo etc). For graphics this is obviously not the machine to choose, nor would it be suitable for video or anything really processor intensive. So I suppose it depends on what you use it for.As an all round notebook, it's pretty damn good.

The ibook, despite all the rave reviews it seems to get, just feels so cheap ....hmm. Also, the 14 inch version ibook just doesn't feel right. It's kind of an ugly older brother to the little one.

Never knew I'd try to convince somebody to get a pismo when we have the powerbooks we have today....

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2004, 12:53 AM

A Lombard has 2 USB ports, and SCSI, no FW. Hardware DVD decoding.

Pismo had a completely new motherboard design, but only a tiny speed increase -- from 333/400 to 400/500 models. Moto was starting to lose steam at scaling the G3 processor while they designed the G4. The motherboard in the TiPBs is the same as the Pismo.

Anyway, I see no reason the hardware on the Lombard would not run OSX fine. I thought the problem was Apple was not writing drivers to take advantage of the older hardware.

I have an older Lombard, and I'm declaring it a terminal OS 9 machine for these reasons.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 6, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by SEkker:
A Lombard has 2 USB ports, and SCSI, no FW. Hardware DVD decoding.

Pismo had a completely new motherboard design, but only a tiny speed increase -- from 333/400 to 400/500 models. Moto was starting to lose steam at scaling the G3 processor while they designed the G4. The motherboard in the TiPBs is the same as the Pismo.

Anyway, I see no reason the hardware on the Lombard would not run OSX fine. I thought the problem was Apple was not writing drivers to take advantage of the older hardware.

I have an older Lombard, and I'm declaring it a terminal OS 9 machine for these reasons.
IIRC, by the time that the Pismo had been unleashed, the G3 had been handed over to IBM already. My Pismo, and my 1999 Power Mac G3 B&W had IBM chips. And I think IBM was further ahead in clock speed with the G3 than Motorola was with the G4, but Apple insisted on neutering the clock speeds of the G3 machines so that they didn't make the Power Macs look bad.

And the main complaint I hear about the Lombard with OS X is the video. That, and the lethargic 66MHz bus make the Lombard a very non-fun OS X rig.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Dr.Michael
Feb 6, 2004, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by ClaraT:
Great! It's 2 to 1 in favor of the Pismo. . .thanks (I think?)
ClaraT
Don't let yourself fool by our nostalgic thoughts.

The Pismo has been a great Powerbook. But it can develop the same problems as your old Lombard. Both are still good computers if you know how to fix smaller problems yourself. If not, and I understood from your older postings that you are not comfortable with a screw driver, the Pismo can also produce unpredictable bills within the next 2 or 3 years.

If the new iBooks look too crappy for your taste (I agree - they do), look at the older 700/800 MHz with 32 MB VRAM. They have been sold until April 2003 and you can still buy Apple Care.

Its always easy to talk about the past. But if you need a reliable powerbook for the NEXT years, a new model with apple care is what I would buy (and have bought).

Looking back I am sure the iBooks will be a really great value just like the Pismo (at least since apple has introduced the logic board replace program). My trusted blueberry iBook was doing its work without any problems until I sold it (because of the missing monitor connector).

masugu
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 08:27 PM

I live in San Francisco...anyone know of a reputable place to get a Pismo repaired? I could mail it to some place if someone can recommend a good shop.

I tried replacing the hard drive - myself. I think I shorted out the MB and.or processor card.

When I boot up, all I get is a gray / blue screen that fills part of the display

Oh...any SWAG at how much I will need to pay to get it fixed???

Thanks!

Hairllama
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2004, 09:33 PM

I've always done my non-warranty work myself, but if I had to send my Pismo anywhere, I'd use Powerbookresq (www.powerbookresq.com). Check them out. Anyone else used them?
Powerbook G4 15" 1.67GHz, 128MB VRAM, 100GB HD, 1.5GB, SD
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz, 80GB HD, 512MB, SD
G4 500 Pismo 40GB HD 512MB RAM, Combo Drive

masugu
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by Hairllama:
I've always done my non-warranty work myself, but if I had to send my Pismo anywhere, I'd use Powerbookresq (www.powerbookresq.com). Check them out. Anyone else used them?
Hey, thanks so much...
I hate having my gorgeous Pismo just sitting around gathering dust. I may just ship it off, get it fixed - if reasonable - and run OS 9 on it...I recall OSX being poky slow.

crouchingtiger
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2004, 10:02 PM

yup, I loved my Pismo for the three years that I owned it. It was very durable and reliable. However, I upgraded to an iBook 800 and it was just a LOT faster and I found myself much more productive.

Since then, I've side-graded to a TiBook 800 and that's a fantastic machine as well, with a screen that really is far superior to either the iBook or Pismo screens.

I only got as far as running OS X 10.2.x on the Pismo so maybe Panther has made it faster since, but I still think that it'd be impossible for me to go back to the poky speed. The CPU upgrades for it would help, but in my case I also needed the upgraded video card/memory.

masugu
Senior User
Feb 7, 2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by crouchingtiger:
yup, I loved my Pismo for the three years that I owned it. It was very durable and reliable. However, I upgraded to an iBook 800 and it was just a LOT faster and I found myself much more productive.

Since then, I've side-graded to a TiBook 800 and that's a fantastic machine as well, with a screen that really is far superior to either the iBook or Pismo screens.

I only got as far as running OS X 10.2.x on the Pismo so maybe Panther has made it faster since, but I still think that it'd be impossible for me to go back to the poky speed. The CPU upgrades for it would help, but in my case I also needed the upgraded video card/memory.
Agreed...I love my PB SD 1Ghz...gettign the Pismo running would just be for fun.

fiskone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 12:10 AM

i loved my pismo!!!
i have a 17" alu pb i like it alot.
but like is not love!!

p.s if anybody decides to sell a pismo it in the future email me

nagromme
Senior User
Feb 8, 2004, 03:29 PM

I loved my Lombard... and happily, I still have it alongside my AlBook
nagromme

masugu
Senior User
Feb 9, 2004, 12:48 AM

Well, I took a chance and ordered the PowerBox from the company recommended by Hairllama...For $69, they send you a protective box for your PowerBook, you send it back, they tell you what is wrong and tell you what it will cost to fix...fix it...and send it back in the padded box. You can pay $99 if you are in a hurry and want a courier pick up... My fingers are crossed that I can get a working Pismo back for a not-too-much cash!!!

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 03:04 AM

Yup, Pismo is the best Apple laptop ever. I only quite a few Apple laptops before including the TiBook. Pismo is the sexiest and the most well designed Apple laptop.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

ClaraT
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
Don't let yourself fool by our nostalgic thoughts.

The Pismo has been a great Powerbook. But it can develop the same problems as your old Lombard. Both are still good computers if you know how to fix smaller problems yourself. If not, and I understood from your older postings that you are not comfortable with a screw driver, the Pismo can also produce unpredictable bills within the next 2 or 3 years.

If the new iBooks look too crappy for your taste (I agree - they do), look at the older 700/800 MHz with 32 MB VRAM. They have been sold until April 2003 and you can still buy Apple Care.

Its always easy to talk about the past. But if you need a reliable powerbook for the NEXT years, a new model with apple care is what I would buy (and have bought).

Looking back I am sure the iBooks will be a really great value just like the Pismo (at least since apple has introduced the logic board replace program). My trusted blueberry iBook was doing its work without any problems until I sold it (because of the missing monitor connector).

Dr. Michael,

Thank you for your sound advice and wisdom--again. You have been guiding me along in this forum in my quest and confustion as I decide on used vs new, 12 vs 14, ibook vs Pismo, so just want you to know I appreciate you.

And to the many others who post their comments and experiences thanks as well-- this has been so helpful. If my Lombard hadn't died I would be none the wiser about all the amazing possibilities the new machines offer. . .so it's been fun learning and searching.

I'm ordering my ibook via the apple store because I've decided on bluetooth.

And Masugu, let me know how it goes with the repair of your Pismo. . .I might send my Lombard there for evaluation. . .I keep gettng quoted $300-$400 because "it's a power problem". Hope yours is not that much.

I also heard of the Powerbook Guy in the Bay Area (SF). . .and that was from here in DC.

so thanks again all. . . .you lucky Pismo owners

ClaraT

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 03:43 PM

I have a 17 Al, but I miss the Pismo robustness.

masugu
Senior User
Feb 12, 2004, 02:02 AM

And Masugu, let me know how it goes with the repair of your Pismo. . .I might send my Lombard there for evaluation. . .I keep gettng quoted $300-$400 because "it's a power problem". Hope yours is not that much.

Clara,

Thanks for the wishes...I hope it does not cost too much either...Hard to bear the thought of sucha gorgeous machine sitting idle...

I just packed up my pismo in the "Powerbox" and will set out on the porch for Airborne Express tomorrow!

Will post a thread with the diagnosis / outcome.

masugu
Senior User
Feb 14, 2004, 05:58 PM

Ack

Got a prelim update from the shop.

I may be looking at a fried MB and/or CPU. Cost would be ~ $400 and $300 respectively to fix. Plus `$100 labor...waiting for the complete report Monday. Man, don't know if it is worth fixing / running OS 9 for nostagia. Guess I could surf the web from the couch / have my Ti PB hooked up to my new 20" cinema display..

Just that my Pismo is pristine...seems a shame to make a doorstop out of it.

milhous
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2004, 08:40 PM

Just noticed that I got a vertical stress crack between the trackpad and the clicker. It doesn't bother me that much, plus I'm not going to sink any more money into it. Great machine though, never had any major problems with it.
F = ma

masugu
Senior User
Feb 16, 2004, 10:09 PM

Well, I went ahead and plunked down $400 for a new CPU + the labor to fix the old girl. Pretty pricey I know, but the notebook was in such nice shape otherwise. Should have a fresh load of OS 9.2 when I get it back from macresq.com.

Must say, their "Powerbox" service worked quite well, and they all in all they were very nice & responsive people.

Will report back if I have any problems. Should have the PB in a 1-a few days.

I suppose I can stick a wireless card in it and surf the web from the couch. I can then leave the TI Book hooked up to my new 20" Cinema Display.

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 04:45 PM

I liked this machine too. But, my two major complaints about it were solved with the ALs.

1. Weighs a ton. Especially with an extra battery.

2. "Mushy" keyboard feel. This was the worst part of the Pismo.

Pismo was great for its time. But, as a traveling machine the ALs - partiularly the 12" with SuperDrive- has it beat.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2004, 05:46 PM

I would hardly say that it weighs a ton. It weighs only 6.1 pounds and has a 14 inch screen. That is quite light, even by todays standards. And especially by Dell's standards.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

masugu
Senior User
Feb 17, 2004, 11:32 PM

Well, typing this on my newly repaired PISMO from MacResq.com...So far so good, though I did encounter some mouse / system freezes when I first attempted to install Office 2001...Finally took.

Now Can anyone recommend a wireless card for the PISMO???

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 17, 2004, 11:47 PM

An AirPort card.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

masugu
Senior User
Feb 18, 2004, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by PowerMacMan:
An AirPort card.
Doh...Excuse the ignorance. I thought Pismos pre-dated airpor.

Thanks!

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2004, 02:23 PM

I saw this at the marketplace and figured this would be the perfect place to post it.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=202358
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 12:36 AM

What timing. I listed my Pismo on ebay just a short while ago. Went to the marketplace forum to put up a notice. <shameless plug>http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=202646</shameless plug> And then I stumble across this thread.

The Pismo ranks with me as the finest Powerbook ever made. And it makes my top 5 for all Apple computers of all time.

For those of you who haven't owned one, it was everything you could ever want in a notebook. Expandable, user upgradable, tough as nails, sexy as could be. Sure it had it's flaws, but they weren't deal breakers. For the most part, it just worked right through them.

Hell of a machine. I'm gonna miss mine terribly.

-atomium

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2004, 02:05 PM

Pismos were the first Mac built for adding airport capability. And the reception is better than almost all of the newer PBs, IMHO.

The Pismo can have almost everything updated now except the video.

There's a rumor of a forthcoming 1GHz G3 upgrade. I'm more interested in whether this will be a cooler upgrade than the available 900 MHz model.

Forum Links
Forum Rules