Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Excel & Rolling Stone 500

Excel & Rolling Stone 500
doubtingtom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 10:52 AM

Rolling Stone recently released a list of their idea of the 500 Greatest Rock & Roll Songs of all time. I wanted to take that list and stick it in an Excel file and then be able to check the ones I have, the ones I want, and the ones I don't want, so I can slowly acquire some of the great ones I don't have.

Does anyone know of an effecient way to do this. Of course, the by-hand method is available, but I am talking about some import method.

Thanks.
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by doubtingtom:
Rolling Stone recently released a list of their idea of the 500 Greatest Rock & Roll Songs of all time. I wanted to take that list and stick it in an Excel file and then be able to check the ones I have, the ones I want, and the ones I don't want, so I can slowly acquire some of the great ones I don't have.

Does anyone know of an effecient way to do this. Of course, the by-hand method is available, but I am talking about some import method.

Thanks.
Is it online?

Cut and paste might work nicely...

Hell, they might even provide a downloadable version.
cpac

doubtingtom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 05:26 PM

It is online, but they don't offer a downloadable version (in fact the online version spans over 10 pages so you see lots of their advertisments).

I did in fact paste it all into a word document but I wanted to get it efficiently into excel so i can sort by different fiels (rank, whether I have it, or whether I want it -- fields I would add). But I can't figure out how to do it.
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 05:28 PM

It is online, but they don't offer a downloadable version (in fact the online version spans over 10 pages so you see lots of their advertisments).

I did in fact paste it all into a word document but I wanted to get it efficiently into excel so i can sort by different fiels (rank, whether I have it, or whether I want it -- fields I would add). But I can't figure out how to do it.
Try pasting it directly into excel rather than word.
cpac

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 05:35 PM

Tab delimited format -> http://www.bombaybungalow.com/RS500.txt
M$ Excel format -> http://www.bombaybungalow.com/RS500.xls

Complements of mitchell_pgh

doubtingtom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 06:11 PM

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted. I googled for a while, but I didn't find it.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but how did you do it? long hand, or did you import it? Just so I can do it the next time.

Thanks again
12 Powerbook rev. B
17 LCD

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 06:25 PM

Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted. I googled for a while, but I didn't find it.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but how did you do it? long hand, or did you import it? Just so I can do it the next time.

Thanks again
50% Cut and Paste - Easy as pie...
20% Shell Script [God Bless the Unix Shell]
30% By Hand - It wasn't necessarily fun.

Forum Links
Forum Rules