Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bootable OS 9.0.2 CDs?

Bootable OS 9.0.2 CDs?
James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2000, 10:27 PM

Every time I try to boot from an apparently successful burn of an OS 9.0.2 CD on my new PB 500MHz, I get �System File Map inconsistent - Reboot� after the happy Mac OS 9 smiley face.

I used the OS 9.0.2 System CD that came with the PB to create a minimal System folder (that is identical to the original Apple System CD itself), made a Toast image, checked it in Nortons, selected the bootable option, and them burned it successfully.

I have done this a number of times, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2000, 12:44 AM

If you have the original CD then WHY use a burned copy?

MacGuru

James_Rolevink  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2000, 05:48 AM

Are you trying to be funny, or what?

Because I want to burn Nortons, DiskWarrior, Hard Disk Toolkit and a number of other utilities / installers onto the one CD.

Good enough for you? Now, do you have an answer?

TheFox
Mar 16, 2000, 03:36 PM

The best way I found to make a bootable CD is:
1. create a 650 MB partition on your harddisk
2. copy all needed files to it (system folder, Norton, etc.)
3. boot from this partition and then rebuilt the desktop
4. start every program one time to create the preferences files
5. now boot again from the original partition and burn the CD with the bootable option checked or make a Toast image to burn it

[This message has been edited by TheFox (edited 03-16-2000).]

James_Rolevink  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2000, 06:23 PM

Howdy Fox,

I have been able to do a similar thing for OS 9 and below for ages, it�s just OS 9.0.2 that came with my PB G3 500MHz that won�t work.

Of course, I want my utility disk to be universal, so I try to make sure I use the latest OS.

Do you know if it will work with OS 9.0.2?

Linda
Mar 16, 2000, 08:15 PM

James,

If you have 9.02 successfully installed on your hard drive, why not copy that System Folder and burn it along with your other apps? That will also burn all your current prefs along with it.

What am I missing?

James_Rolevink  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2000, 08:17 PM

Hello Linda,

What you are missing is that if you try that, it gives the error message I mentioned. 8�(

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2000, 07:50 PM

I wasn't trying to be funny. You did not mention that you were trying to add apps to the OS 9 CD in your original post. I have noticed that there have been MANY attempts by Apple to make thier OS CD's impossible to copy. My friend tried to burn his brother a copy of OS 9 and he went through 5 CD's before he just gave up. I think it's a CD copyright thing not anything of your fault.

MacGuru

James_Rolevink  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2000, 08:18 PM

Hello MacGuru,

I think you may have misunderstood the problem; I am not trying to copy the Mac OS 9.0.2 CD. I am trying to make a bootable 9.0.2 CD then add some things to it. This process isn�t usually copy protected as far as I am aware. In fact, you are even asked to obey Apple's OS licensing laws when you click the 'bootable' option in Toast.

As mentioned, I have made bootable CDs of nearly every OS from System 7 to 9, I just can't seem to get 9.0.2 up and running for some reason. Maybe it's because it is from a PB specific OS CD? Maybe I just have to wait until Apple release an OS 9.0.X updater and then use my real copy of OS 9 CD shrinkwrap to make the image to burn from?

Forum Links
Forum Rules