Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > should I: G-Tech versus OWC external drive?

should I: G-Tech versus OWC external drive?
bohdanz
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2006, 01:41 PM

I need to get either a 250 or 500 GB drive (having lost all my data once and not having it backed up.)

I've seen too many mixed reviews on the LaCie drives - and today have to get either an OWC drive or a G-Tech.

Your thoughts please?

clairejr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2006, 03:29 AM

I'm not familiar with either of those drives, but if you can find an EZQuest drive, I'd highly recommend it. I'm using one for 4 years and another for 3 years and I've never had problems with them. And EZQuest's tech support is great. OWC sells EZQuest drives:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/EZQuest/

I also have a Maxtor One Touch II and I wouldn't recommend it for only one reason - it gets incredibly hot if it's used for too long without periods of rest. I recently contacted Maxtor about it and they said it shouldn't be used continuously for more than 5 hours (i.e., it can't be used as a boot drive like my EZQuest can). If you're going to use the drive continuously, get one with an internal fan.

I'd also recommend that you get a drive with at least one Firewire 400 port so you can use the drive as a boot drive in an emergency.

Claire

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2006, 03:49 AM

I have an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Al with a 250GB Seagate Barracuda drive and it's performed just fine for me. Mine has USB 2.0 and FW400, but there are enclosures with FW400/800 and FW400/800/USB2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules