Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Want an iPhone, but locked into T-Mobile? Not for long...

Want an iPhone, but locked into T-Mobile? Not for long...
parsec_kadets
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 06:38 PM

So the buzz over at howardforums.com is that T-Mobile is about to increase their per message charge for SMS to $.15 starting June 1st. When Cingular and Verizon did this customers were able to cancel service without paying early termination fees (ETF), even though they were still under contract. The same is likely to be true for anyone on T-Mobile who activated before March 15th. This has me seriously scoping out pricing for Cingular. Does this excite anyone else?

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 07:30 PM

The iPhone is Cingular...

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 07:54 PM

Cingular is now ATT, lol.

parsec_kadets  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
The iPhone is Cingular...
Exactly my point. If you're locked into a T-Mobile contract they're about to make a change to their services which will result in a "change to material costs which adversely affects" you. In your contract it states that you can cancel service in this event without paying an ETF. Thus allowing you to switch to Cingular to get the iPhone.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2007, 10:08 PM

Apparently people have had mixed success trying this approach with their providers, but it's worth a try. Does anyone know what the situation is for people who are already Cingular users? As luck would have it, my Cingular contract expires in May of this year, so I would think that I could just quit and sign up again to get an iPhone if I wanted to (I don't even care if I get a new number). But would there be any kind of advantage to keeping my current contract and just switching to the iPhone (rather than quitting and signing up again)?

parsec_kadets  (op)
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 10:34 PM

Usually providers require that you wait at least 90 days before they'll give you the new customer deals again. However, I don't think Cingular is going to alienate the customers they already have, especially those willing to spend extra cash on things like data services.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 19, 2007, 10:40 PM

I figure I can always just have my wife sign up instead if they want to be pissy about it.

pyn
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 19, 2007, 10:45 PM

usually you just have to call them up and the person will just change your plan to a new one that starts the day of your signing-up [what i did]. no extra cancellation or activation charge

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 11:21 PM

Just go to a Cingular store and tell them you're willing to get a data plan and they'll be mroe lenient on you. Even if you cancel it after you get home; the sales people still get a bonus.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 12:52 AM

I think Apple should stop advertising Cingular and advertise ATT for the iphone.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2007, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Apparently people have had mixed success trying this approach with their providers, but it's worth a try. Does anyone know what the situation is for people who are already Cingular users? As luck would have it, my Cingular contract expires in May of this year, so I would think that I could just quit and sign up again to get an iPhone if I wanted to (I don't even care if I get a new number). But would there be any kind of advantage to keeping my current contract and just switching to the iPhone (rather than quitting and signing up again)?
Does Cingular not have a new-every-two type policy? With Verizon, I get a new phone at new customer pricing every two years when I sign on for another two years.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

-Q-
Mar 20, 2007, 02:08 PM

That is most encouraging news about T-mobile's planned change. I've been wondering if there would be an easy way to get out of my T-mobile contract I signed in December and this appears to be it. Thanks for the news.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Does Cingular not have a new-every-two type policy? With Verizon, I get a new phone at new customer pricing every two years when I sign on for another two years.
That's sort of what I'm asking. They may very well have that policy, but I haven't taken the time to look into it.

-Q-
Mar 20, 2007, 03:56 PM

That's sort of what I'm asking. They may very well have that policy, but I haven't taken the time to look into it.
Most larger carriers do, thanks to the advent of number portability. They realized that unless they offered their customers similar deals to those being offered new customers, they were quickly losing old customers to other carriers with number portability. I know T-mobile does, as does Verizon. Don't officially know if Cingular/ATT offers it but I'd be surprised if they didn't.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by earthlings View Post
Cingular is now ATT, lol.
F**king hell that pissed me off. First AT&T sells their wireless to Cingular, then tells their customers to piss off and everyone has to buy a new phone.

Then AT&T buys Cingular and we're back where we started after being forced to buy a new damn phone when my old one was perfectly fine.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 05:07 PM

It sounds better to say you are a Cingular member instead of ATT.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 08:22 PM

I hate Cingular and I hate my Nokia phone = but what can you do? I blame my phone for this because it has too many features and too few buttons (no keyboard etc). The data rate for Cingular is $.01 per KB(highest rate) =How can an iPhone run on costs like that. The unlimited data package is $60 (not including voice packages)

Data Connect - Cingular Wireless

I want the iPhone with VOIP and WiFi. (free)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2007, 08:42 PM

Where do you get $60 from?

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 08:45 PM

Cingular has bad receptions in hospitals, while friends with different cell phone providers have good reception in hospitals.

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 08:49 PM

Where do you get $60 from?
I was looking at the Laptop one. The cell plan is $20 = that's a steal for unlimited data.

indigoimac
Senior User
Mar 20, 2007, 09:00 PM

Personally, not even the iPhone can get me to go back to Cingular, what a crappy experience, I switched to T-Mob a year and a half ago and never looked back.

And I'll weigh in on the ATT thing too, originally I was an ATT Blue (as they called it post merger) customer, great service for the 1st year until they merged w. Cingular then it all went downhill, and as soon as my 2year from tem was up I went to T-Mob and signed up for a 1year contract, got 2 free phones and have stuck w/ them, no reason to leave in my opinion.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 20, 2007, 09:03 PM

I'm curious what issues you've had with Cingular. I switched from T-mobile to Cingular (because at the time Cingular had the RAZR) and I'd say the experience has been pretty much the same, except that Cingular has markedly better reception in my area.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 09:10 PM

Cingular also has rollover!

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Mar 20, 2007, 10:58 PM

We had AT&T before it merged with Cingular and, subsequently, Cingular. We never had any service problems with them, before and after the merger. And I personally plan to just stick with AT&T. My mom has T-mobile, and that's been pretty troublesome.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 07:53 AM

Yes cingular lets you upgrade your phone when you have about 6 months left on the contract. Or at least they used to. I know that you can upgrade your phone every 2 years though. I've not had any problems with Cingular since I've had them.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

homeruntilly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2007, 08:40 PM

they're called upgrades. verizon has them. evey two years (or when your contract expires) you get an upgrade. An upgrade just gives you a new nice phone for cheap. i got my Razr v3m for like $50. i think cingular has upgrades...

buymeaniphone
Banned
Mar 22, 2007, 09:51 AM

Has anyone actually tried this? What would you tell a representative to get them to let you cancel without being charged? My phone plan was over this January but my wife is still locked in until next October and I dont want two phone plans thru different carriers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules