Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > nVidia cards in G4 v ATI - faulty nVidia?

nVidia cards in G4 v ATI - faulty nVidia?
James_Rolevink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2001, 08:21 PM

I have been having heaps of problems with the new nVidia MX 2 card that came with my G4 533 DP. I had a G4 450 DP and the ATI card in there was heaps better.

This one makes Diablo II play like a sick dog; when action strikes, it runs for the hills (huge, jerk delays / freezes etc., i.e.: unplayable).

Then there are the artefacts; in mid battle, suddenly everything becomes funny, huge, chunky, pixelised blobs that are semi animated when you walk on them.

As for ColorSnyc accuracy, well the light purple to dark purple gradient on my home page � that has been so on every other Mac I have ever seen � is now light purple to bright blue.

The screen is the same 17" BTW. Only the card is different (nVidia versus ATI before).

Fonts don�t alias as smoothly on screen; everything looks as though the Unsharp mask in Photoshop has been run over it.

Man, I am SOOOOO disappointed! I don�t know that I will be buying a GeForce 3 card now; maybe all of the PC people who complain about endless driver updates and bad performance from nVidia have been right all along.

Maybe it�s time to get a cheap Radeon?

Anyone else noticed the same thing?

Forum Links
Forum Rules