Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > new vs. old Apple BT keyboard

new vs. old Apple BT keyboard
w8ing4intelmacs
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2008, 04:21 PM

Am I the only one that likes the old white BT keyboard better than the current Aluminum BT keyboard?

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2008, 06:08 PM

No, you're not.

I also like it better.

I hope I can at least buy one, when my next computer comes with the flat keys.

Otherwise, one has to go to third party suppliers.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2008, 07:13 PM

The aluminum keyboard is far superior to the previous style, IMO.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 05:32 AM

I have several of both. I like the key arrangement on the white ones better, but otherwise and especially in terms of look and feel I much prefer the Al KBs.

w8ing4intelmacs  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 11:49 AM

they lack of a number keypad is disappointing in the new BT keyboard.

chichow
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2008, 11:52 AM

but it would affect the size of the keyboard.

I would think most number crunchers would be picky anyways about a wired, layout, keyboard feel anyways...

khanselman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2008, 01:32 PM

I actually was just thinking about this. I decided I wanted to look at the options I had for an Apple BT keyboard, and when I went to the Apple site and saw the new Al one, I wasn't impressed. I like the fullsize of the old keyboard.. but I like the Al and keys on the new one (I have the wired version with my 20" iMac and really like it)...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 01:44 PM

The new BT keyboard doesn't even have a keypad. What's the point? If I wanted to use a keyboard that's exactly the same as the built-in one on my laptop, I'd just use the built-in one on my laptop.

If the thing could be paired to the iPhone/iTouch and used as a keyboard there, that I could understand. Using it as a keyboard for a Mac, though, makes little sense to me.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 03:05 PM

Unless of course that Mac is your HTPC and you like the idea of having a slim KB to use on your couch.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2008, 07:17 PM

Okay, so there's a small niche for it. I still don't see why it had to replace the full-size BT keyboard.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Cold Warrior
Aug 5, 2008, 03:23 AM

I've used both the new aluminum full-size and BT keyboards. My preference is for the BT one since it's smaller (no number keypad). Both have worked well for me. I never used the previous gen BT keyboard, but I did use the pre-aluminum wired ones and definitely prefer the current models.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2008, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Okay, so there's a small niche for it. I still don't see why it had to replace the full-size BT keyboard.
My guess is it's because Apple believes a majority of the people who want wireless KBs don't use their numeric keypads a whole lot. And in my case that's actually quite true. At work where I use the numeric pad a lot I don't need wireless devices since I'm using desktops or stationary notebooks anyway. At home on my couch OTOH I don't really need a numeric pad.

When I'm doing work on a trip though I often miss the numeric pad on my MBP. But not that much that I'd get one of those USB numeric pads.

Fortunately there are many wireless KBs to chose from. If you really want a numeric pad, just buy form somebody else than Apple.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Works great with my iMac too.

On a day-to-day, non-work environment setting, I have to wonder who really uses that keypad consistently. The only time I notice it's missing is filling out credit card information for a purchase.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2008, 08:39 AM

I greatly prefer the Al BT keyboard. I love the "chicklet" keys and can type considerably faster with less key travel. Just give me a flat surface that can detect keystrokes... that's my ultimate keyboard. I've NEVER used the keypad. Why lift my hand and move it over to the right just to type numbers when they're right in front of my hands?

PhishSlave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2008, 11:09 AM

If you prefer the old keyboard, see if your friendly AASP is willing to order one for you as a service part. The old wired and wireless are available, as is the even older white one with the USB ports near the corners, all for roughly the same prices they sold for when available as boxed retail parts. They'll come in a plain brown box and have a service part warranty, but they're otherwise the same.

That being said, when my BT keyboard died after almost 5 years, I went and got the wired aluminum keyboard (I really need a numberpad). I was hesitant at first, but it turns out to be the best keyboard I've ever owned. Give it a shot before you dismiss it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules