Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Editing music genres in iTunes?

Editing music genres in iTunes?
semperit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2012, 08:29 AM

Hi.
Consistently I find genre names in the info>genre list of itunes that I never used and that I don't want to permanently scroll through. I tried the remedies suggested in two Apple Forum discussions (e.g. commenting out genres in Localizable String), but this did not do away with the problem and it will alway reset with a new version. Does anybody have a suggestion?
Thanks.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2012, 06:59 PM

I have a couple programs that go online and can update genres but there are so many genres it drives me nuts as well. DeGenre is a good place to start controlling genres. I'm looking into writing my own AppleScript to compare a list of wanted genres with keywords and replacing close genres with approved genres. For example, you may have a list list this where any of the keywords subordinate to the root (e.g. "metal") is changed simply to metal genre. I'm still in the early phase (I don't know AppleScript but I taught myself assembly language, C, Pascal, and VBA) so how hard could AppleScript be?

Metal
Speed
Death
Thrash
Doom

semperit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2012, 06:17 AM

Thanks cgc. I looked at the listing of degenre and found that the annoying genres seem to be default and cannot be removed. So no help on this issue.

I also tried to use Doug's Search & Replace Tag Text. This didn't work for me as the app appeared to have stalled. I am not sure how reliable these apps are...

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2012, 07:35 AM

iTunes seems to come with plenty of labels, many of which I'll never use. I just scroll past them and use (or enter) what I want.

I'm going to move this thread to Applications - not only is it about something other than the OS, it's veering into "replacement or assistant applications" territory.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules