Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Unix Apps for OS X - THE LIST

Unix Apps for OS X - THE LIST
plaidpjs
Senior User
Jul 9, 2001, 11:42 PM

So, there is a lot of great information changing hands in these threads, and there are a few great sites with info on getting some nix apps up and running on OS X. BUT, I'd like to attempt to put together a definitive list with associative information of all the apps that are up and working under Mac OS X from the Unix world.

My intent is to create a small, secondary resource, for anyone looking to get something up and running on their own system. One place with everything known to work as it should, along with links to other information on how to get it up and running. If you think this is a good idea then help out with the effort and keep me up-to-date if you find something I don't already have listed. AND, please note, I only want information about Unix apps that ARE working currently under OS X.

I'll post a link to the site when it is up and running. Given the proximity of MWNY, it may be two weeks before it's functioning. You can send any info you have to [email protected].

What I know about:

Apache 1.3.20
MySQL 3.23.38
PHP 4.0.6
GD 1.8.4
BIND 8.3 (has anyone gotten 9 running?)
Postfix (version?)
Tomcat (version?)
OpenSSH 2.9p1
OpenSSL 3-1
phpMyAdmin 2.1.0

I know that isn't nearly all, but those are the ones I have direct knowledge of at this moment.

Ciao!
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

johann
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2001, 12:33 AM

here's a few from me:
Lynx (and Links) -- Terminal Web Browser
nmap 2.53 and 2.54beta -- Security Tool
FileUtils -- (colored dirs)
XFree86 4.02 and 4.03 -- X Server
BitchX -- Terminal IRC client
GIMP (for above XFree86) -- Image Manipulation tool
Samba 2.2.x (haven't tried 2.3 yet) -- SMB/CIFS protocol suite
and here's a short list from http://www.osxfaq.com/ports.html (not yet listed here)
Analog -- Log file analyizer
pw -- system admin tool
adduser -- System Admin tool
lwp-download -- Terminal Automated dowload utility
Bash2 -- Shell
xemacs -- X version of emacs (runs on XFree86)
various IMAP -- IMAP mail protocol support
fetchmail -- Terminal Mail User Agent
Pine -- Terminal Mail User Agent
NcFTP -- More Ftp
libpcap and snort -- Security Tool
cURL -- gets files in many forms (HTTP, FTP, GOPHER, etc...)

[ 07-10-2001: Message edited by: johann ]

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jul 10, 2001, 06:30 AM

You said Xemacs ... are you implying that the graphical version of emacs was ported to X? Or just that it will run under Xfree86?

AFAIK it hasn't been ported, but if I'm missing something, gimme a link!
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

plaidpjs  (op)
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 09:48 AM

Thanks Johann! A few of those I already know, but there are a couple i don't even know what theyy do, can you edit your list with a short description for each, or at least put an application category?

Ciao!
G4/533 DP, 768 MB RAM, 40GB HDD, 32MB GeForce2 MX, 30GB VST Firewire Drive, and an Apple Cinema Display.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2001, 10:55 AM

Here's some:

XFree86 4.1 (X Windows System)
FreeCiv 1.11.14 (Civillization Clone)
XMahjonng (Mahjonng clone)
Lyx (Word Processor/type setting program)
WindowMaker (Window Manager)
Enlightenment (Window Manager)
Xfce (Window manager)
IceWM (Window Manager)
XTetris (Tetris Clone)
LinCity (SimCity Clone)
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

<Bandwagon>
Jul 10, 2001, 11:49 AM

Lincity....where is that? Please direct me to some info

Thanks

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2001, 12:45 PM

Ok, can do

First do this:

su root (that would be sudo -s for a stock OSX installation)
cp /usr/bin/tar ~
cd /usr/bin
wget http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/packages/tar
chmod 755 /usr/bin/tar

This will activate part of the GNU-Darwin Package system. This is the only part that works on Mac OS X and is all you need.

Now, go here: http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/packages/

scroll down to the bottom and you'll see a list of packages, under various categories. LinCity is under "games"

To install, do this:

cd /usr/local
tar -zxf ThePackage.tgz

The LinCity executable will be in /usr/local/bin

Not all these packages work under Mac OS X but alot do. Try 'em out and good luck!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Greg Parker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<STRONG>You said Xemacs ... are you implying that the graphical version of emacs was ported to X? Or just that it will run under Xfree86?

AFAIK it hasn't been ported, but if I'm missing something, gimme a link! </STRONG>
XEmacs is available for XDarwin/XFree86. I saw someone working on a Cocoa version of Emacs or XEmacs, but it was still in the earliest stages of development.
XDarwin - XFree86 for Mac OS X - http://mrcla.com/XonX/ http://sf.net/projects/xonx/

plaidpjs  (op)
Senior User
Jul 10, 2001, 03:56 PM

Guys (and girls), This is some great information.

Two favors, however:

1) I haven't done anything with XFree86 yet, so I have no idea what of the things that may have bee referred to work under it or under OS X, hopefully you all get the distinction I'm making. So, from now on can you please note if the programming you are listing installs under OS X or if it needs something else to run (i.e., The GIMP does not work on OS X without having first installed X11 and/or XFree86 (right?), so you could just distinquish it as such, that would be a great help as I'm trying to determine an organization scheme for all of this now.

2) If you are aware of an existing how-to document for getting one of the programs you mention up and running, please let me know. The way I plan to work this is that from a master list you can navigate through to a shorter and shorter list of possible programs, eventually reaching a page that will have links to install and set-up information from the various sites. I'm sure this may seem redundant for some of you who really get into this stuff, but for someone like me this will be a great tool. I don't "frequent" all of the dev sites like StepWise or DevShed and such, but every once in a while i come across a tool like phpMyAdmin that I want to get running and then spend the better part of a day trying to track down how-tos and stuff like that, hopefully the site I'm proposing can simplify things.

Ciao!

PS - If you don't think this is a good idea, please let me know why, I'd be interested to hear some feedback on the idea.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2001, 04:32 PM

I heard that Python runs on OSX as well. I haven't run it or installed it yet since I'm busy with an other project. However the URL is in an old thread somewhere here.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2001, 07:10 PM

I see what you saying but with Mac OS X being a flavor of Unix "separating" the two could be difficult. Anyway, all the apps I listed need XFree86 installed to work. Xfree86 itself is a Mac OS X app. Confusing?
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

kaius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2001, 10:27 PM

Any comments from some of the more experienced folks on using fink versus, say, the Gnu-Darwin ports versus pure mano a mano with UNIX?

I've tried the first two of those with some success as well as with some failures. Of the two, fink seems more reliable and easier to me, but has a far more limited list of available packages. Gnu-Darwin claims more than 2000 applications available, however, there is more work in getting the dependencies right and the applications going.

Overall the future is very exciting as all this stuff gets worked out. In comparing OS's and their respective CLIs, one is tempted to comment to the Windows folks something like "How about that GW-Basic!"

kaius

jem
Jul 10, 2001, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by clarkgoble:
<STRONG>I heard that Python runs on OSX as well. I haven't run it or installed it yet since I'm busy with an other project. However the URL is in an old thread somewhere here.</STRONG>
There is a Fink package for Python 2.1... works fine.

jem
Jul 10, 2001, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by johann:
libpcap and snort -- Security Tool
johann... Would you be able to point me to a site where a MacOS X port of Snort is held? I tried to make a package for it for Fink, but it didn't work correctly after it had been compiled...

dhi
Jul 11, 2001, 10:50 AM

It's kind of cheating to list X window applications - so leave them off the list otherwise it'd be humoungous - as well as pointless.... the best place to find the X apps is in the Fink file you downloaded when you installed XonX....

So let's talk about Mac OS X apps that run without X windows.

Terminal apps I can't live without....

scp - Secure Copy for encrypted file uploads (ftp sucks)
wget - file downloads
ssh - Secure Shell (telnet is evil)
vi - The editor that is so great I edit all my html and php with it
ls - silly I know but I broke it on one Debian system I had - damn I missed it....
ntpdate - set that system time

That's the usual suspects for me.

Top of my wish list for ports is locate.... man I need that!!!

Good news is that there is a ports project over at sourceforge - expect great things....

http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/ports/

Now on this page you will find a list of all the categories of Unix apps ported to Mac OS X / Darwin - it is way more extensive than what we'll ever list here - but don't that stop you.....

Post your favourite Unix apps on Mac OS X

Share and enjoy!

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2001, 12:16 PM

I don't know why X Windows apps are "cheating". XFree86 is a Mac OS X App and so are it's client. I hate to say this but Mac OS X is Unix and to try to draw such a fine line is slly. Besides, with X Windows installed you open Mac OS X to thousands of possible applications. Thats my 2 cents.

As for the Fink or GNU-Darwin ports or one on one with Unix, both Fink and the Ports efforts are excellent, Fink is a little slower in its progress because it ensures it runs smoothly on both Darwin and Mac OS X while the Ports effort is more concerned with Darwin. I like and use both. I went mano e mano with Unix when I ported Gimp 1.0.4 to Mac OS X in March and it wasn't fun. I need all the help I can get!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

shellsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 01:13 PM

I got GtkHx (hotline client for X11) to build - no more banners..he he

0.8.11 builds with a bit of tweaking, 0.8.12 is broken..

Also, I have xspect (spectrum emulator) built and running...

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: shellsuit ]

DJ(n): semi-skilled machine operator

shellsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2001, 01:21 PM

duplicate post.. damn

DJ(n): semi-skilled machine operator

ret
Jul 11, 2001, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
<STRONG>I don't know why X Windows apps are "cheating". XFree86 is a Mac OS X App and so are it's client. I hate to say this but Mac OS X is Unix and to try to draw such a fine line is slly. Besides, with X Windows installed you open Mac OS X to thousands of possible applications. Thats my 2 cents.
</STRONG>
And it's two cents well spent. Perhaps cheating wasn't quite the right term. I agree with the spirit of the original post, however, that I would like to see it clearly marked that a port requires X11.

What's going on with X in rootless mode? That's when I'll take an interest in it.

RET

PS - I have compiled and installed vim without any dramas. All I want is a file-droppable icon in the dock for it. Anyone know how to do that?
perl -e 'require Signature.pm; srand; printf STDOUT "%s\n", $Signature[rand @Signature];'

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2001, 10:52 PM

Ok I can buy that. I'll make sure to note when something needs X11.

X in rootless is broken; a new version is in the CVS for XDarwin but its buggy. Probably wont see a good implementation until Xfree 4.1.2 or later.

As for adding Vim to the dock, well I dont know the exact steps but if you get Tinker Tool from Version Tracker, you can see Vim in the finder (its invisible but there) then perhaps you can make an alias of for the dock but this may not work. I never tried it myself. Oh and you'd have to make an apple script to launch it with a Terminal command.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

ret
Jul 12, 2001, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
<STRONG>As for adding Vim to the dock, well I dont know the exact steps but if you get Tinker Tool from Version Tracker, you can see Vim in the finder (its invisible but there) then perhaps you can make an alias of for the dock but this may not work. I never tried it myself. Oh and you'd have to make an apple script to launch it with a Terminal command.</STRONG>
I've tried using the AppleScript bridge PowerAddOns, Scriptscript etc, but they all have the effect of launching vi/vim in the background. You can imagine how effective<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier> vim file & </font>[/code] is

RET
perl -e 'require Signature.pm; srand; printf STDOUT "%s\n", $Signature[rand @Signature];'

johann
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2001, 07:13 PM

the ports collection is sweet!
i heard they were working on it, but i didn't know it was usable yet.
as a freeBSD user, i'm way stoked.
that's all you need.... wow

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 05:18 PM

Whatever happened to the FreeBSD ports collection for the Mac?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
MacPorts? It still works. I have it on all my Macs.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
MacPorts? It still works. I have it on all my Macs.
MacPorts is not a Mac port of the FreeBSD ports collection. I used to contribute to this project, I'm familiar with it. MacPorts is a different implementation (and a much weaker one).

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2007, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
LOL. YAY for bringing up a thread that was dead FOR SIX YEARS!

Seriously, this thread predates my registration here, lol.

OreoCookie
Jul 24, 2007, 12:32 AM

No zombie threads, please
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules