Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 156)
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If the Wii had an option to use a regular goddamn controller I might already own one. I was close to buying one as it is until I used the motion control system long enough to realize it was imprecise and killed immersion in the game.
Awww... did i hurt your feelings ?

If you have never played RE4(GCN or Wii), have you considered that maybe it's better on the Wii(critics seem to think so) ? I've finished the GCN version so have no motive to try the Wii version. MadWorld.... have you tried it ?

The 'option' to use traditional controls.... i've got a GCN controller hooked up into the GCN port on the Wii. I've played some of my GCN games and Mario Kart Wii using the GCN controller. I'm assuming that Nintendo has made those APIs available in the SDKs.

Why third parties have not made an effort to support the traditional control scheme more is anyones guess. The option is there, and the third parties have not taken advantage of it.

Whatever reasons you guys give doesnt distract from the fact that the onus is on all publishers to make games that appeal to the core gamers(Wii or otherwise), right ? Whether it's the controls, DLC, multiplayer, etc...the options are all there, and the lack of effort from the third parties or the fact that you guys dont own the console or want to play the games, isnt the console's fault.

When the PS3/XB360 launched....i wonder how many 'must haves' justified your purchases, considering they both had abysmal backwards compatibility. "System sellers" yeah..... so push the third parties to make more "system sellers" then to get you to support their games, instead of the calibre of games that they shoveled onto the platform for the first 2 years.

As far as MadWorld.... if you think it should sell more on the Wii, maybe question why you dont have it, as opposed to why everyone else doesnt. I have a Wii, and i am enjoying the game, what the rest of the Wii ownership/world chooses is not my concern, but seeing as it concerns you so much(to diss the Wii and its ownership specifically), maybe evaluate where YOUR support for the game is and why it is missing, instead of just whinning about the platform of the people who own the platform.

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 01:50 AM

I might not be as articulate as i should be when i try to make this point to you guys, but for another perspective of what im trying to convey can be found here...

Nintendo Wii: the ultimate hardcore console? - PC World

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Awww... did i hurt your feelings ?

If you have never played RE4(GCN or Wii), have you considered that maybe it's better on the Wii(critics seem to think so) ? I've finished the GCN version so have no motive to try the Wii version. MadWorld.... have you tried it ?

The 'option' to use traditional controls.... i've got a GCN controller hooked up into the GCN port on the Wii. I've played some of my GCN games and Mario Kart Wii using the GCN controller. I'm assuming that Nintendo has made those APIs available in the SDKs.

Why third parties have not made an effort to support the traditional control scheme more is anyones guess. The option is there, and the third parties have not taken advantage of it.

Whatever reasons you guys give doesnt distract from the fact that the onus is on all publishers to make games that appeal to the core gamers(Wii or otherwise), right ? Whether it's the controls, DLC, multiplayer, etc...the options are all there, and the lack of effort from the third parties or the fact that you guys dont own the console or want to play the games, isnt the console's fault.

When the PS3/XB360 launched....i wonder how many 'must haves' justified your purchases, considering they both had abysmal backwards compatibility. "System sellers" yeah..... so push the third parties to make more "system sellers" then to get you to support their games, instead of the calibre of games that they shoveled onto the platform for the first 2 years.

As far as MadWorld.... if you think it should sell more on the Wii, maybe question why you dont have it, as opposed to why everyone else doesnt. I have a Wii, and i am enjoying the game, what the rest of the Wii ownership/world chooses is not my concern, but seeing as it concerns you so much(to diss the Wii and its ownership specifically), maybe evaluate where YOUR support for the game is and why it is missing, instead of just whinning about the platform of the people who own the platform.

Cheers
See, no one here thinks Madworld *should* have sold more on the Wii, because we think the market for that kind of game doesn't exist on the Wii. But for some reason you think the target market should decide that they want to play that game so much that they should buy a brand new system for it. That makes the $50 game $250. No thanks.

Also, the PS3 did not ship with "abysmal" backwards compatibility. In fact, it shipped with complete backwards compatibility. It wasn't until about a year later the support for the PS2 games (via hardware) was removed from the console.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2010, 02:19 PM

I might not be as articulate as i should be when i try to make this point to you guys, but for another perspective of what im trying to convey can be found here...

Nintendo Wii: the ultimate hardcore console? - PC World
That article is written by somebody who either doesn't know what he's talking about or is just being intentionally contrary. His argument that the Wii is a great hardcore system is based on redefining the term "hardcore gamer." He suggests that Smash Bros. and Pokemon are examples of great hardcore games. It's probably true that's about as close as Nintendo comes these days, but no. Pokemon is a kiddie RPG and Smash Bros. is a party game. I mean, if he wants to use the term that way, I can't stop him, but then he's not really talking about the same topic as anyone else.

The second comment on the article makes a pretty good point about how Nintendo has been intentionally moving away from the depth and challenge that defines hardcore gaming. Compare Mario Kart Wii to Double Dash and Mario Kart 64, or Smash Bros. Brawl to Smash Bros. Melee. Compare pretty much any of Nintendo's titles over the years.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Feb 17, 2010 at 02:31 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 17, 2010, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Most people don't want to own two (or three) consoles. It takes one hell of a game (and usually more than one) to convince them otherwise.
Especially this generation where the consoles are even more expensive, and generally speaking, cash flow has been a little less ample the past year and half.

http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/40...more-than-one/
Unscientific, but compare the two generations - Many more people own only one console this gen compared to last.

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
That article is written by somebody who either doesn't know what he's talking about or is just being intentionally contrary. His argument that the Wii is a great hardcore system is based on redefining the term "hardcore gamer.".
Bingo.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Now I'm sure that this post was so long, I'll probably get some two sentence response and a claim of a lack of time.
Dammit, I forgot the obvious third option (it's happened before), "Hawkeye ignores this post completely."

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2010, 07:11 PM

He decided to rant at me instead, even though all I've been saying is that the Wii is good, the games for the Wii are good, but the motion controls ruin any chance I had of buying the system.

This of course makes me a fanboy, which is this threads equivalent of calling me a camper.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2010, 10:03 PM

See, no one here thinks Madworld *should* have sold more on the Wii, because we think the market for that kind of game doesn't exist on the Wii. But for some reason you think the target market should decide that they want to play that game so much that they should buy a brand new system for it. That makes the $50 game $250. No thanks.

Also, the PS3 did not ship with "abysmal" backwards compatibility. In fact, it shipped with complete backwards compatibility. It wasn't until about a year later the support for the PS2 games (via hardware) was removed from the console.
Point taken. but i thought 'hardcore' gamers owned more than one console, but anyway. And yea... i do think Madworld should have sold more, not just to Wii owners but to those gamers who consider themselves 'core'.

As far as PS3 backwards compatibility....like ive said before, i would have a PS3 slim today if i could play a handful of PS2 games. which it had it at launch, it was only in N.America, and the lack of consistency(to me) was unnecessarily complicated....as opposed to Microsoft which claimed it would have it, but just didnt(i think).

So essentially, you are approaching the discussion assuming single-console owners are the target, while i am approaching the discussion with anyone who plays core games, irrespective if they own a console(s) or not.

He decided to rant at me instead, even though all I've been saying is that the Wii is good, the games for the Wii are good, but the motion controls ruin any chance I had of buying the system.

This of course makes me a fanboy, which is this threads equivalent of calling me a camper.
fanboy/camper! fair enough.... you hate the motion controls (and the pointing i assume).

Chuckit,
No, he didnt change the definition imo. All he did was not assume that hardcore gamers are not exclusively mature/adult gamers, which is an unnecessary assumption. As far as Pokemon/SmashBros... im not into those games, but i do see gamers of all ages playing them obsessively....similar to the more adult core titles like MW. So Nintendo might make broad-appealing games for core gamers, and not target them to the adult market. MKWii, i own...and i cannot compare it to any prior game in the series, and i find it to be a fun, addictive party/racer game with very decent multiplayer options. Mario Galaxy i played obsessively as it was very addictive. Metroid Prime 3, is in a league of it's own with the controls specifically (no waggle/motion mostly pointing...done right), and technically impressive.

My main criticism of the Wii are the friend codes, which to me....as a mostly single-player/local gamers..isnt too huge of a drawback.

Either way, 2010 is looking surprisingly optimistic for the Wii in terms of third party support..... Sonic 4, SMG2, Metroid other M, Zelda (yeah i know the trifecta of Nintendo's stable), Prince of Persia(finally), Red Steel 2, No More Heroes 2, Monster Hunter 3, Fragile...... they all seem like very decent core titles to me. (and i actually plan on picking a couple of em up)

Cheers

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2010, 11:33 AM

Must be something about your personality.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 18, 2010, 11:40 AM

Thursday News: PS3 Edition

Sony's Dyer emphasizes first-party PS3 strength over third-party exclusives
In a new interview with Industry Gamers, SCEA's senior vice president of publisher relations, Rob Dyer, shared a candid view on platform-exclusive titles -- particularly when they're on that other platform. "Look, we're not going to get the exclusive games," he said. "The Mass Effects, Gears of Wars and Left 4 Deads aren't going to happen nearly as often. But we have our own first-party development and exclusives like Final Fantasy XIV and Agent. Exclusives just aren't as commonplace as they were during the PS2 days. What is going to be the driving force is either exclusive ad campaigns, like the Madden campaign, or exclusive content like we had with Batman."
That's not very compelling.

Sony: Wii's Loss Is Our Gain - Sony - Kotaku
"What publishers have said is they're not going to spend the resources on Wii... In my job, we compete against Microsoft and Nintendo, and we're competing for resources", SCEA Senior Vice President of Publisher Relations Rob Dyer (pictured) told IndustryGamers.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2010, 12:18 PM

Point taken. but i thought 'hardcore' gamers owned more than one console, but anyway. And yea... i do think Madworld should have sold more, not just to Wii owners but to those gamers who consider themselves 'core'.

As far as PS3 backwards compatibility....like ive said before, i would have a PS3 slim today if i could play a handful of PS2 games. which it had it at launch, it was only in N.America, and the lack of consistency(to me) was unnecessarily complicated....as opposed to Microsoft which claimed it would have it, but just didnt(i think).

So essentially, you are approaching the discussion assuming single-console owners are the target, while i am approaching the discussion with anyone who plays core games, irrespective if they own a console(s) or not.
You've got some misconceptions here. All PS3 systems at launch at full hardware backwards compatibility. All of them. Then, when the 80gb system was released, they moved to a hardware/software hybrid system when they removed one of the chips as a cost cutting measure. This affected less than 1% of PS2 games, so backwards compatibility was still very good. It wasn't until the 120gb system (just before the slim) that BC was removed completely. It really wasn't that complicated - backwards compatibility existed for 99% of games until they announced it was leaving.

And the 360 does have backwards compatibility, but the percentage of games it works on isn't as high. Not sure what that percentage is, but all of the major games are covered.

And I'm not assuming single-console owners are the target market. However, if your average hardcore gamer owns a 360 or a PS3 (or both) and NOT a Wii, they are not the intended market for a game like Madworld. That is reserved for system-selling titles, which for the Wii would be games like Zelda and Mario.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2010, 03:00 PM

I keep buying the odd ORIGINAL Wii game that is "mature" and gets good reviews but I find so poor looking and sounding in comparison to the XBOX and PS3 (even though the game isn't even for those systems) and it makes it so much less fun to play.

For example Dead Space for Wii is totally original rail shooter that the reviewers loved. I yawned my way trough the first few levels and can't be bothered to go through any more. Dead space on XBOX and PS3 was 100x better and more fun for me in every way even though the play style is different. Obvious they made it a rail shooter for the Wii because the normal version wouldn't bring the Wii to its knees. The game sold HORRIBLY. No market for mature games on the wii is proven again.

I also got the new silent hill for Wii. It looks OK but they blocky, dark, gritty style in these games hides most visual flaws. The motion control for the flashlight is cool but the shaking is really unresponsive and annoying leading me again to abandon it after an hour of frustration. It was also reviewed well but sold poorly.

My PS3 is now my fav for game titles over the 360 as there are so many amazing games for it I feel totally spoiled.

On average I use my PS3 daily as a media server to watch movies and TV shows on disk or over the networkd. I play a PS3 game at least 2-3 times a week.

My Xbox used to get a lot of attention but in the past 8 months I get the PS3 version of the game if I can as the Xbox is too damn loud and I'm not paying to play online or even download a game demo or post a score on facebook. Typical MS nickel and dimming. I was blown away that Mass Effect (which was very good) required me to swap disks! I would have preferred HD-DVD built in if need be!

My wii. Well once every couple months if it is lucky. Mario Bros was fun for 4 days. I tried to like those titles above. Nothing in the pipeline excites me at all until Zelda ships in a year and I am sure it will be lots of A button mashing to dismiss text dialogues and run around lost.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2010, 10:53 PM

I play mostly NSMB Wii and Little Big Planet, which is ironic because I came into this console generation loving my 360 and now it rarely gets used. Mostly because I'm sick of the FPS genre and I don't want to continue paying for XBL when most of my friends are never online.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 19, 2010, 11:21 AM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2010, 01:10 PM

Wow didn't hear of the game 2 days ago but i just got the PS3 Heavy Rain demo and it absolutely blew my mind. One of the most interesting game styles and controls I have ever seen. The atmosphere is also astounding. Feels like a mix of the movie Se7en and a old yet futuristic detective movie.

It's gonna be a long wait till Tuesday for this game to come out!

IGN Video: Heavy Rain PlayStation 3 Review - Video Review

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Wow didn't hear of the game 2 days ago but i just got the PS3 Heavy Rain demo and it absolutely blew my mind. One of the most interesting game styles and controls I have ever seen. The atmosphere is also astounding. Feels like a mix of the movie Se7en and a old yet futuristic detective movie.

It's gonna be a long wait till Tuesday for this game to come out!

IGN Video: Heavy Rain PlayStation 3 Review - Video Review
Think it's gonna sell? I have a feeling it will be one of those games that gets amazing ratings but just doesn't move any units.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2010, 05:44 PM

Heavy Rain was one of my anticipations when I saw it last year. The demo is fantastic I agree. There are suppose to be like 20 endings to it as well.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 19, 2010, 10:59 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2010, 12:58 AM

Think it's gonna sell? I have a feeling it will be one of those games that gets amazing ratings but just doesn't move any units.
I don't think it will tank but I agree it will be highly reviewed but few will buy and it will have a cult following.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2010, 09:52 AM

I don't think it will tank but I agree it will be highly reviewed but few will buy and it will have a cult following.
Sounds kinda familar.... kinda reminds me of games like Madworld and NoMoreHeroes (sales apparently justified a sequel with a bigger budget, and which i will get).

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2010, 11:29 AM

sweet my 360 red ringed.
we don't have time to stop for gas

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
sweet my 360 red ringed.
What took it so long. Eug is the only person on here who's hasn't. Probably because it only sometimes plays HD-DVD's.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2010, 06:50 PM

this is my 2nd red ring
we don't have time to stop for gas

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2010, 07:49 PM

ouch

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2010, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
sweet my 360 red ringed.
Mine did a few days ago... but then I turned it right back on and it was totally fine!?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 02:00 PM

You guys played batman arkham asylum right? Absolutely awesome, don't let the comic thing scare you off.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 02:16 PM

You guys played batman arkham asylum right? Absolutely awesome, don't let the comic thing scare you off.
That was one of my biggest surprises of the year.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
That was one of my biggest surprises of the year.
Game of the Year for me.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 02:43 PM

Ya it was amazing for me too. Drakes 2 was still better for me though.

Seems for the past 1.5 years all the big games for me are on the PS3 when before it was the Xbox.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2010, 02:57 PM

I still haven't finished, but Batman: AA was a must-buy for me the moment it was called "probably good." I'm a Batman shill.

I've said this before, but inFamous was fantastic too. PS3 owners really shouldn't miss out on it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've said this before, but inFamous was fantastic too. PS3 owners really shouldn't miss out on it.
Ya I played it through 3x in the past year. Love that game for sure.

Is it tomorrow yet?! I want Dark Rain!!!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2010, 03:37 PM

Dark Rain or Heavy Rain?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 03:39 PM

Dark Rain or Heavy Rain?
Sorry Heavy. To confusing

Heavy Rain Review - PlayStation 3 Review at IGN

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2010, 04:07 PM

The game looks right up my alley. I've been listening to IGN guys talking about it on podcasts, and my anticipation has gone from "meh" to "I might actually put MW2 down for a week or two for this."

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2010, 04:20 PM

I'll be picking up Heavy Rain tomorrow at lunch.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2010, 04:21 PM

The game looks right up my alley. I've been listening to IGN guys talking about it on podcasts, and my anticipation has gone from "meh" to "I might actually put MW2 down for a week or two for this."
People have been excommunicated for less.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2010, 04:33 PM

I haven't seen a single ad, preview, hype nothing until a week ago and I am usually on top of these things.
I get the feeling it is going to be highly rated and not sell great at all.

Or perhaps it will surprise me and do pretty respectably and we get part 2 some day!

P.S. This game also reminds me a bit of Condemned in terms of look and the detective tools.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2010, 09:28 PM

OMG Heavy Rain is so good. I can see myself playing it though a few times just to see how much the story will change.

Music, visuals, gameplay and story are all so well done.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 24, 2010, 11:22 AM

Wednesday News

70MB of additional RAM unlocked for PS3 developers
The change was initially discovered by PlayStation University, noting the reduction in the system OS's memory footprint, from 120MB to 50MB. As the OS continues to slim down, developers are allowed access to even more usable system memory.
Well done, Sony.

Bungie May Return To Halo, One Day - Bungie - Kotaku
They love to slam the door shut and crack it back open.

Mario Galaxy 2 & Metroid Coming "Mid Year" - Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Kotaku
The biggest news coming out of the event was that Nintendo's two biggest "core" releases of the year - Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M - will be out a lot sooner than we thought. While everyone had been expecting both to ship towards the holiday season, Nintendo Australia said both games would be arriving "mid year", suggesting a summer (well, northern summer, Australian winter) release for both.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 24, 2010, 12:44 PM

Wednesday News

70MB of additional RAM unlocked for PS3 developers

Well done, Sony.
Errr about time. The damn Xbox only takes 35 megs for the OS and 3 days ago the PS3 took 120 megs just for the OS.

Another 70 megs is nice but we've missed out on every game for the past 3 years having any nicer effects because it took sony this long.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2010, 12:56 PM

OMG Heavy Rain is so good. I can see myself playing it though a few times just to see how much the story will change.

Music, visuals, gameplay and story are all so well done.
I picked it up yesterday morning, but have yet to take off the shrink wrap. Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday are always my busiest days. Hopefully I'll hop on tomorrow night.

I can't wait.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2010, 04:28 PM

Bungie May Return To Halo, One Day - Bungie - Kotaku
They love to slam the door shut and crack it back open.
Yeah, like with Marathon. Oh, that's what Halo is

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 25, 2010, 11:24 AM

Thursday News: Where the **** is my Snowpacalyspe Edition

EA: 'Sharp and distinct' console transition unlikely
Brown's issue had more to do with pricing, noting that half the PS2's sales occurred after the console hit $150, which the PS3 at $300 is nowhere close to.

stogie needs a Wii
There is only Zuul (and this sweet Ghostbusters Wii mod)

What Your $60 Really Buys - Industry - Kotaku

Report: The Ten Most Expensive Video Game Budgets Apparently Are... - Rumor - Kotaku
2. Gran Turismo: $80 million
In development for over 5 years, the official budget was $60 million. In 2008.

Nintendo: No New Hardware "Any Time Soon" - Nintendo - Kotaku
Plausible denial.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 25, 2010, 06:25 PM

Ok I finished Heavy Rain. What a wild ride that was, got through it without losing any characters on the hard setting.. Can't wait to play it again and take other approaches to see how it turns out totally different. I can see so many alternatives it is fantastic.

For me it is the best story I have ever seen in a video game. Easy to follow but really challenging to solve, not overly convoluted and really flexible for alternative directions based on actions.

It was amazing to play the serial killer as a kid to see how/why they became the way there are.

I normally hate motion controls on the PS3 but in this game they worked better and got me more into it than any damn Wii game which is really scary.

Really depressing and dark but if you like original games that aren't FPS then give it a try.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2010, 10:49 PM

That's freakin' bad ass!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 11:48 AM

PS3s Suffering From Global Network Lockdown [UPDATE 5] - PS3 - Kotaku
All around the world, PlayStation 3 consoles simply aren't working like they're supposed to, with an error preventing people from not just going online, but from playing some PS3 games offline as well.

From Europe to the Americas to, well, my house in Australia, users (mostly of older "Fat" consoles, those released before 2009's "PS3 Slim") have been complaining since Sunday that upon booting their consoles up, they're unable to sign into their accounts, check their trophies, use dynamic themes or access the PlayStation Network. That's fine, Sony say there are PSN connection problems, and that they are "looking into it".

Problem is, the error does more than just prevent you from going online. It prevents you from playing certain games offline as well. Even for some consoles that aren't connected to the PSN, like debug units. The screen above is what I was greeted with on a retail console when attempting to play Heavy Rain, and pressing out of it simply reboots the PS3, returning you to the main menu screen. It's the same story for other games that feature dynamic trophy support.

PSN games are no different; I tried to boot up "Flower", only to be greeted with a similar message about failed copyright protection, and it was right back to the XMB.

Sony say "stay tuned" for updates on the problem. In turn, we've emailed Sony for comment and will update if we hear anything more.

While theories abound that this has something to do with the calendar on older PS3s (some users are reporting their date/time settings have been reset), bear in mind Sony has redesigned its PlayStation website over the weekend, so it could be the result of some tinkering under the hood for the PlayStation Network. Then again, if consoles not connected to the PSN are also affected, it could be something else. Who knows!

Whatever it is, though, you have to wonder at the design process that turns a network outage into something stopping you from playing an offline, singleplayer title.

UPDATE - Sony has updated, saying "We're narrowing down the issue and continue to work to restore service to all. Updates as soon as we have them."

UPDATE 2 - A mass story-telling session on internet gaming forum NeoGAF points towards the issue potentially being related to a calendar bug in older PlayStation 3 consoles, not the PlayStation Network as was first suspected. Bear in mind this is mob science, however, and is by no means official confirmation on the cause of the problem.

UPDATE 3 - Citing unnamed "developers and studios", British site Develop say that the issue is affecting titles currently in production for the PlayStation 3, with debug consoles - used by developers to actually make games - thrown "into a rebooting cycle, due to an endlessly-looping error message".

UPDATE 4 - PS3's still aren't working, and there has been no official update from Sony in over 9 hours. Their last Twitter update says that they believe the issue does not appear to be impacting PS3 Slim consoles.
At a loss for words.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2010, 11:57 AM

At a loss for words.
One for the history books.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 12:49 PM

I haven't played my fat PS3 for two days...I'm wondering...

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2010, 12:53 PM

Rumor is a leap year bug.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2010, 01:34 PM

From Sony:

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:
* The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
* When the user tries to sign-in to the PlayStation Network, the following message appears on the screen; "An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)".
* When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; "Failed to install trophies. Please exit your game."
* When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the Internet, the following message appears on the screen; "The current date and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)"
* Users are not able to playback certain rental video downloaded from the PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, Please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest status on this situation please check either the PlayStation blog (blog.us.playstation.com) or PlayStation.com.
- Show quoted text -
Yeah, so I'm not turning on my PS3 until tomorrow afternoon.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 1, 2010, 01:39 PM

I hope your wife decides to watch a Blu-ray while you're not around.

Forum Links
Forum Rules