Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Extended display+ drag&dropping items

Extended display+ drag&dropping items
herbsman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2007, 01:31 PM

qq. I have a Mac Pro with 2 displays attached. When I drag and drop items from a web browser (link icon in the addressbar, pictures, media, etc) onto the 2nd display, the items will not drop in the designated area and will drop into the main display. Is there a setting to fix this? Thanks

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2007, 04:51 PM

Weird. I haven't seen this behavior on my setup. Does it persist after a reboot?

herbsman  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 30, 2007, 05:28 AM

Yes it does persist even after a reboot. I was hoping this would be fixed in 10.5.1 but it looks like this must be machine specific in my case if this is not normal behavior.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 30, 2007, 06:53 AM

I have the same problem under Tiger on a Quad G5. Never found a solution, it appears to be a small bug in the Finder or possibly the window manager.

One pattern I noticed. It only affects items dropped on the monitor that's running off the secondary graphics card. The two monitors on the primary graphics card are not affected - items land where they are dropped.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 11:01 AM

My MacBook won't allow items on the secondary desktop. I just figured you were allowed one desktop, period. What would you expect the Finder to do if the second display is disconnected? That might be the problem--Apple wouldn't want you to lose things.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 2, 2008, 01:34 PM

chabig, you have a different problem. The bug we've run into only affects drag & drops from a browser to the desktop. Within the Finder, anything can be dragged to any display, and it will stay put.

If you disconnect a display and the system notices, the Finder will relocate everything from the missing display onto the remaining display(s).

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2008, 08:50 PM

I am dragging from the Finder to the desktop. Items cannot be dragged onto the secondary display.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 09:27 PM

Is that not just because you Desktop "View Options"... are set to Arrange by name??

(Sorry if im barking up the wrong tree)
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

Forum Links
Forum Rules